Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 24, 22, 2:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 22, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
You missed that AS allows for higher pricing of QR awards just like EI and FI.
[screenshot removed]
You also missed that this has precisely zero to do with AS joining Oneworld because AS doesn’t have Oneworld awards yet, and they had differential pricing on partners for a while now (FI isn’t joining OW anytime soon, EI isn’t a OW airline).

Thanks. Was it a recent change from QR? By the way, to an uneducated AS reader like me who hasn't traveled for two years, I see an unexpected booking and I see an AS program change, logically I linked the two. Apologies for posting to the wrong thread.
Old Jan 16, 22, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Thanks. Was it a recent change from QR? By the way, to an uneducated AS reader like me who hasn't traveled for two years, I see an unexpected booking and I see an AS program change, logically I linked the two. Apologies for posting to the wrong thread.
Its not a recent change. Its been this way since QR awards were a thing, they START at the lower price for J. You just never noticed it.

Qatar (QR) Award Booking and Availability (Available 7/29/2021)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 16, 22 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 16, 22, 11:42 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Alaska MVP Coming Up Short Level 99K
For British Airways bookings, has anyone been able to use their One World status to select seats (without paying additional fees at time of booking) without calling/chatting with BA?
Old Jan 16, 22, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider View Post
For British Airways bookings, has anyone been able to use their One World status to select seats (without paying additional fees at time of booking) without calling/chatting with BA?
Many recent posts/threads on this, includingSome have had success by later going back in the reservation (manage my booking) and have been able to select without cost

Edit
Another BA seating - status issue--->Seat bookings and incorrect BAEC status showing on booking

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 16, 22 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 16, 22, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Some have had success by later going back in the reservation (manage my booking) and have been able to select without cost
Exactly what I did and I have seats for $0.
Old Feb 16, 22, 9:24 am

Tons of availability for DFW-MAD, IAD-MAD just appear for summer travel
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 18, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Looks like SEA-LHR service on AA will be temporarily suspended due to continuing problems with 787 deliveries along with LAX-SYD and DFW-SCL. Schedules changes will be completed over the weekend.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...mliner-delays/
Old Feb 26, 22, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

Earn 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
I'm a little confused by the language on AS's website regarding earning EQMs on IB. I understand that certain fare classes may earn EQMs at 25-50% of total mileage flown. But am I correct, based on the above language, that regardless of fare class and total mileage, the lowest number of EQMs we can earn on any IB flight is 500 EQMs? In other words, if I book BCN-MAD on IB (212 flown miles or so), will I learn 500 EQMs no matter what fare class I book into? Or would it be a percentage of the 500 EQMs?
Old Feb 26, 22, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KE81 View Post
I'm a little confused by the language on AS's website regarding earning EQMs on IB. I understand that certain fare classes may earn EQMs at 25-50% of total mileage flown. But am I correct, based on the above language, that regardless of fare class and total mileage, the lowest number of EQMs we can earn on any IB flight is 500 EQMs? In other words, if I book BCN-MAD on IB (212 flown miles or so), will I learn 500 EQMs no matter what fare class I book into? Or would it be a percentage of the 500 EQMs?
You would earn a minimum of 500 EQM and 750/1000/1125/1250 RDM for the respective Elite Tiers. Most, but not all, partners earn 500 EQM minimums. CX & SQ are exceptions.

If you click on Details under the accrual chart for the partner airline, it will be listed there.

For IB
Eligible flight numbers
0001 - 9999

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (IB) must precede the flight number (for example, IB XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

Earn 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles.

James
KE81 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 22, 12:58 pm

Thanks!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 12, 22, 4:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
My first time entering JFK First lounge since the integration as Im flying to Madrid tonight on IB. I must say my expectations were low because of how bloggers and the BA board has talked about this lounge but those low expectations were blown out of the water. Attentive service, delicious made to order food, and a professional barista made for an incredible visit I would say on the level of JAL F or CX F. All of this on a BE Y fare sub $300 RT (which on IB you get to choose seats and check in bags).

I dont care what anyone else says, long live oneworld and the partnership.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 2:19 pm

RE: OW

It's an absolute game changer for me and instantly catapulted AS into my most favored carrier status.

Recently, on a flight from JFK to SFO, I've seen something that I don't ever recall seeing on any AS flight. Almost half of the passengers were boarding holding their passports, which suggests most were probably from OW connections into or out of SFO for their onward journey. It was and felt like a truly international flight and an aspect that I don't ever recall seeing onboard any AS flights prior.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 4:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K
I'm probably not going to requalify for AS75K next year, so my OWE status will expire with it, meaning this will be the only year I ever get OWE status. Given that, what are the best ways to maximize the OWE status this year? Are there any lounges I would have access to during strictly domestic travel, or would they all require international itineraries for access? I would be excited about being able to access the Cathay Pier First Lounge in HKG on a business class ticket, but doesn't seem like I'll be heading there any time soon. The JFK British Airways First lounge and LAX Qantas First lounge look great, but I believe I need an international itinerary and I can't just pop in during a AS domestic flight, right?

Help me find some ways to actually enjoy Oneworld Emerald status this year! Appreciated!
Old Mar 14, 22, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mpeterson78 View Post
I'm probably not going to requalify for AS75K next year, so my OWE status will expire with it, meaning this will be the only year I ever get OWE status. Given that, what are the best ways to maximize the OWE status this year? Are there any lounges I would have access to during strictly domestic travel, or would they all require international itineraries for access? I would be excited about being able to access the Cathay Pier First Lounge in HKG on a business class ticket, but doesn't seem like I'll be heading there any time soon. The JFK British Airways First lounge and LAX Qantas First lounge look great, but I believe I need an international itinerary and I can't just pop in during a AS domestic flight, right?

Help me find some ways to actually enjoy Oneworld Emerald status this year! Appreciated!
i believe certain flights to Central America count as intl for lounge access purposes. Someone should double check me on this but I believe an AS flight to Costa Rica or a cheap American flight to most other Central American countries would count and then you could at least experience the various LAX and AA Flagship first lounges.
Old Mar 14, 22, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
i believe certain flights to Central America count as intl for lounge access purposes. Someone should double check me on this but I believe an AS flight to Costa Rica or a cheap American flight to most other Central American countries would count and then you could at least experience the various LAX and AA Flagship first lounges.
From the Alaska website:

Select oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members get lounge access

Emerald and Sapphire members earned through Alaska or American Airlines are eligible for complimentary lounge access when they travel on an itinerary to Mexico City, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia.
mpeterson78 and ItsAnAdam like this.

Search this Thread