Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 24, 22, 2:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart



Print Wikipost

Old Aug 23, 21, 1:08 am
  #1636  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond
Posts: 2,963
I wonder if I called in and added segments manually through the partner desk if they would do it? I asked Twitter and AS said to call them. So I assume it will be implemented.
NWplatinum is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 2:24 am
  #1637  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
I wonder if I called in and added segments manually through the partner desk if they would do it? I asked Twitter and AS said to call them. So I assume it will be implemented.
I’m sure they will happily book a second award for you, if you call…

Might want to read that link posted above. It might save you some time.
Calculon is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 3:28 pm
  #1638  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: ATL, MCO
Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
is AS obligated by virtue of OW membership to offer a mix/match of carriers for award travel? I also wonder if they are obligated to allow award travel on EVERY OW carrier or just those they select like AA or Finnair.
It's not OW but for Star Alliance Singapore Airlines wasn't bookable using UA (and even AS) miles for months (and maybe still not possible?). Regardless, I imagine there is no formal obligation but hypothetically it should be possible, one would hope
MileTrek is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 7:16 pm
  #1639  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,462
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Honestly I don't think this will be fixed anytime in the near future....if it does change, it likely won't be changed until we have the ability to book award travel on all OW carriers and if it's anything like Qatar, the OW carriers will be added one at a time which will likely take awhile. Maybe someone can clarify, but is AS obligated by virtue of OW membership to offer a mix/match of carriers for award travel? I also wonder if they are obligated to allow award travel on EVERY OW carrier or just those they select like AA or Finnair.
LOL, they are in no way obligated to offer mix and match carriers on any award type. Oneworld is a commercial alliance not a mechanism for FTers to demand the ability to book CX and QR on one award. They could do what BA and CX do and have a multi-partner award that’s not particularly great for low mileage awards, add a few partner charts for airlines touching the US (IB and AT) and they’d be done.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 7:25 pm
  #1640  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
LOL, they are in no way obligated to offer mix and match carriers on any award type. Oneworld is a commercial alliance not a mechanism for FTers to demand the ability to book CX and QR on one award. They could do what BA and CX do and have a multi-partner award that’s not particularly great for low mileage awards, add a few partner charts for airlines touching the US (IB and AT) and they’d be done.
Couldn’t have said it better. I would love to hear the conversation between OP and the AS CSR:

”I’d like to book JFK - HKG on CX in F and then HKG - DOH - CPT on QR in QSuites”

”Sure, but your account needs 100k more miles sir…”

“Haven’t you heard? Alaska joined OneWorld you HAVE to let me book multi partner flights as one award now”
NWplatinum likes this.
TravelingZoomer is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 5:05 am
  #1641  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond
Posts: 2,963
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I’m sure they will happily book a second award for you, if you call…

Might want to read that link posted above. It might save you some time.
No the Twitter team seem to say that the website was in capable of doing it by itself, but you could find segments and add them on the same award. For example flying Seattle to London on British Airways and then connecting London to Dublin on Aer Lingus.
NWplatinum is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 9:46 am
  #1642  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
No the Twitter team seem to say that the website was in capable of doing it by itself, but you could find segments and add them on the same award. For example flying Seattle to London on British Airways and then connecting London to Dublin on Aer Lingus.
Ok this isn’t even the topic of the thread (EDIT: the thread this used to be on…) at this point, so I will simply remind you that people here have already provided you with accurate information.

Last edited by Calculon; Sep 15, 21 at 8:16 am
Calculon is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 10:40 am
  #1643  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond
Posts: 2,963
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
Couldn’t have said it better. I would love to hear the conversation between OP and the AS CSR:

”I’d like to book JFK - HKG on CX in F and then HKG - DOH - CPT on QR in QSuites”

”Sure, but your account needs 100k more miles sir…”

“Haven’t you heard? Alaska joined OneWorld you HAVE to let me book multi partner flights as one award now”
This example is moot because you’re moving from multiple zones. You need to buy separate tickets. It would be the way American does it.

This is relevant to QR and being able to book other OW partners with them, not just AS.
NWplatinum is offline  
Old Aug 27, 21, 2:44 am
  #1644  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 7,155
Any idea when awards will be redeemable on IB metal?
NWplatinum likes this.
beachfan is offline  
Old Aug 27, 21, 8:56 am
  #1645  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Any idea when awards will be redeemable on IB metal?
Only what they've previously announced: "Award bookings coming later in 2021"

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...artners-iberia
NWplatinum likes this.
NoLaGent is offline  
Old Sep 6, 21, 11:00 am
  #1646  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,468
AS Far More Generous Than AA

My GF, who is a Plat Pro on AA, just scored an advance AS upgrade to F PHX-SFO at T-120. Meanwhile, as an EXP, I'm still out in the cold for an AA flight on the same route in less than 36 hours (which was J6 at T-100, when EXP upgrades are supposed to process). This experience will be the final nail in the coffin in terms of me ever crediting anything to AA again. IMO the biggest difference between the two carriers is AS actually cares.
vanillabean likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 6, 21, 1:54 pm
  #1647  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,858
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
My GF, who is a Plat Pro on AA, just scored an advance AS upgrade to F PHX-SFO at T-120. Meanwhile, as an EXP, I'm still out in the cold for an AA flight on the same route in less than 36 hours (which was J6 at T-100, when EXP upgrades are supposed to process). This experience will be the final nail in the coffin in terms of me ever crediting anything to AA again. IMO the biggest difference between the two carriers is AS actually cares.
I would perhaps look at this from a different angle. It's not like AS cares more than AA giving upgrades. Both of them have long historical data on many routes (albeit kind of useless given C19 impacts) that dictate when they release UGs. The T-100 etc. windows are the earliest they'll open those UGs, but no guarantees for UGs, ever.

So if it seems like AS is more likely to UG on certain routes, book on their flights, but it doesn't necessarily mean you need to credit to them, rather than AA.
Global321 likes this.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Sep 6, 21, 9:47 pm
  #1648  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,468
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
I would perhaps look at this from a different angle. It's not like AS cares more than AA giving upgrades. Both of them have long historical data on many routes (albeit kind of useless given C19 impacts) that dictate when they release UGs. The T-100 etc. windows are the earliest they'll open those UGs, but no guarantees for UGs, ever.
I'm very familiar with how revenue management works, and with this route in particular, which I've been flying more or less weekly for the past two years. AA is just being way more stingy. Nearly as bad as UA now. Continuing devaluation of elite status because they feel they can, whereas AS actually still cares about keeping its frequent flyers happy.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 7, 21, 4:13 am
  #1649  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,858
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm very familiar with how revenue management works, and with this route in particular, which I've been flying more or less weekly for the past two years. AA is just being way more stingy. Nearly as bad as UA now. Continuing devaluation of elite status because they feel they can, whereas AS actually still cares about keeping its frequent flyers happy.
Are those flights going out with any empty F seats when you don't get an UG? If not, it is clear they are managing the inventory according to their prioritization rules. They are not denying you an UG if you don't get one, there were just higher priority pax on the flight (paid F, higher rolling spend EXPs).. I'm pretty sure AS is following their own prioritization rules to fill their F seats in a similar fashion.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Sep 7, 21, 7:19 am
  #1650  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Life Time Titanium
Posts: 5,801
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Are those flights going out with any empty F seats when you don't get an UG? If not, it is clear they are managing the inventory according to their prioritization rules. They are not denying you an UG if you don't get one, there were just higher priority pax on the flight (paid F, higher rolling spend EXPs).. I'm pretty sure AS is following their own prioritization rules to fill their F seats in a similar fashion.
In all the years of flying ( as a AS FF) I have never gotten an upgrade period nor do I think I ever will. Going all the way back to the NWA code share I did get one upgrade but then first was vacant except for me!! No Parker is Parker. But then flying is not the most pleasant activity these days and on AA there is no booze how does one kill the taste of their food?
edgewood49 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread