Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You can go back to April 5 on this thread to read my positive experience.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Flew a few times since the 31st (on AS), and while some on this forum said it was no big deal, AS staff definitely did not see it that way. When I showed my BAEC Silver status at the lounge, they were almost over the top in thanking me for choosing Alaska and said how excited they were to join Oneworld. I definitely think the higher ups has made it an impetus to recognize their partner elites.
I'm imagining confetti canons going off the moment you scanned your FF card (or BP), a red-carpet pneumatically rolling out, a robot scooting out to offer you a flute of champagne, trumpeters blaring some non-existent OneWorld fanfare... (like some Willy-Wonka'esque fever dream), simultaneous to the AS staff also thanking you for choosing Alaska, etc. lolol
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I'm imagining confetti canons going off the moment you scanned your FF card (or BP), a red-carpet pneumatically rolling out, a robot scooting out to offer you a flute of champagne, trumpeters blaring some non-existent OneWorld fanfare... (like some Willy-Wonka'esque fever dream), simultaneous to the AS staff also thanking you for choosing Alaska, etc. lolol
Oh you mean you didn't get a live performance of the Safety Dance (oneworld Remix)? /s

But actually, whether it breaks up the monotony of the speeches that I have probably committed to muscle memory at this point, the FA on my last flight seemed very excited at every mention of oneworld during their inflight speeches.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
When I showed my BAEC Silver status at the lounge, they were almost over the top in thanking me for choosing Alaska and said how excited they were to join Oneworld.
If that's how a BAEC Silver (OWS) gets greeted, I wonder what happens when I walk in at LAX and SFO as OWE.

Anyway, I think AS can only do better than AA in terms of status recognition. I personally expect just about nothing, but AA is really one of those OW carriers that give absolutely zero recognition to anybody. AA only gives attention to Concierge Key holders (and BAEC GGL, in case the CK team has time). AA passenger manifestos do include AAdvantage/OW FFP status, but there's no instructions for taking advantage of that for proactive customer care. But then again the US is somewhat abysmal, as due to the lack of pursers (or whatever title for the person in charge of cabin service), there's not anyone paying attention to the execution of the service.

Overall I think AS is really a welcome addition for improving the quality of the OW experience, when flying in North America. More alternatives to choose from, rathen than the same old AA. I'm just waiting for the tedious FFP status chase I will have this fall, with some XX AA flights booked. Not exactly looking forward to seeing all the usual AA grumpiness, when traveller access to the US will recommence from Europe.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
Oh you mean you didn't get a live performance of the Safety Dance (oneworld Remix)? /s

But actually, whether it breaks up the monotony of the speeches that I have probably committed to muscle memory at this point, the FA on my last flight seemed very excited at every mention of oneworld during their inflight speeches.
Speaking of monotonous speeches, I flew AS for the first time in a year yesterday LAX-SFO and noticed the FA said "Mileage Plan members will earn at least 337 miles on this flight." Are they getting rid of the 500 mile minimum?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
I am curious as to what benefits AS employees receive from the OW entry? An FA was quite excited as she said the benefits were awesome, but she didn't have time to elaborate.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I am curious as to what benefits AS employees receive from the OW entry? An FA was quite excited as she said the benefits were awesome, but she didn't have time to elaborate.
Total spitballing here, but perhaps better nonrev access, priority, or pricing? iirc, international nonrev deals are airline by airline, and vary in which taxes you have to pay versus which are absorbed by your employer, as well as in nonrev priority when on other metal, etc.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by icelandman2
Total spitballing here, but perhaps better nonrev access, priority, or pricing? iirc, international nonrev deals are airline by airline, and vary in which taxes you have to pay versus which are absorbed by your employer, as well as in nonrev priority when on other metal, etc.
Even if it was just reciprocity with AA (in a way, their "closest" partner in OW) and including their intl routes, that should dramatically widen their non-rev options; SYD, HKG, GRU, LHR, etc. That's got to be quite the boost in options.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
When the door opens, but I think the seatbelt light coming off is fair too.
I've had a couple flights into SEA come into B8 where it took them 20 minutes to get someone over to drive the jetway. And at least one flight (I think PDX) where I swear the ramp driver on the ground was had to be drunk, blind, and a trainee. They showed up on time, but the ramp just zig zagged back and forth forever because they couldn't line it up with the door. If I'd had checked bags they could have claimed 2500 miles for my delay in getting to the carousel.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Even if it was just reciprocity with AA (in a way, their "closest" partner in OW) and including their intl routes, that should dramatically widen their non-rev options; SYD, HKG, GRU, LHR, etc. That's got to be quite the boost in options.
I believe they had access to AA inventory even pre-OW - the difference would be if AS now covered taxes/fees (often ~$200 pp on international ID90 tickets) or gave them higher priority when 40 are listed for the flight (huge if you need to fly home on-time for your next trip!)
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Agreements were already in place with most (if not all) OW carriers prior to entry. After OW, the rates for space available tickets on several of the member airlines dropped to a cheaper tier. It isn't in place yet but eventually travel on AA will be free (I think that's the one most folks are excited about). I'm definitely not the expert here - I think the last time I traveled space available was over two years ago.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by BOB W
I flew SEA-DEN on Wednesday and had a bright orange OW priority tag on my bag upon arrival. My bag came out with all of the other bagS so it appears that at least in Denver there is no priority given. Of course at DEN you are almost always guaranteed that you will be able to pick up the 2500 mile certificate for late bags. Not only did the flight leave Seattle almost an hour late it took almost 40 minutes for the first bags to start showing up on the carousel. 40 minutes is in line with multiple trips I have made in the last 10 months visiting family. I’m guessing that I have picked up at least 15,000 miles due to the baggage always being late.
flew to cabo over the weekend and had those “Orange priority “ tags on all 4 of my family suitcases.

well over 20 minutes (but international) for me to get to baggage area. Our bags were well into mid to late part. I didn’t see many of the orange tags. During my 30 minutes of observation.

we don’t generally check bags but I wanted to test the waters since had friends that weren’t going to arrive for 30 minutes later so it didn’t affect our ground transportation
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I was searching for award seats on a route where I expected to see Qatar. I saw Emirates and BA but not Qatar. Is the AS site able to see Qatar award availability or do I need to call?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was searching for award seats on a route where I expected to see Qatar. I saw Emirates and BA but not Qatar. Is the AS site able to see Qatar award availability or do I need to call?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...partners-qatar

Award travel on Qatar Airways

Award booking will be available starting in the fall of 2021.
Updated wiki since I reckon 54452634636567 people will probably ask about this over Summer 2021 (none of AS's new OW partners are bookable on awards right now).
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by SOCguy
Agreements were already in place with most (if not all) OW carriers prior to entry. After OW, the rates for space available tickets on several of the member airlines dropped to a cheaper tier. It isn't in place yet but eventually travel on AA will be free (I think that's the one most folks are excited about). I'm definitely not the expert here - I think the last time I traveled space available was over two years ago.
Are non-rev agreements part of any sort of partnership (be that code-sharing, inter-lining, a joint venture, etc.)? (You seem to be informed)

A.k.a. As AS independently struck partnerships with BA, CX, QF, etc., over the preceding years, did that generally include non-rev opportunities in some form?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.