Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Accessing Window Seat on Emergency Exit Rows 16 or 17 on the 737

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

In the last couple of weeks I have flown the Alaska Boeing 737s twice sitting on a window seat on rows either 16 or 17 (the emergency exit rows).

The last two times, by the time I boarded, the passengers on the aisle and middle seats were already there.
When I pointed out that I had the window seat, they just attempted to sit back as close to their seat as possible, but did not get up or asked me if I needed them to, while also avoiding all eye contact. I found this weird... is it just me?

I am a 6'1, 185 lbs guy, not precisely small. I have trouble to access seats 16A / 16F or 17A / 17F if the middle and aisle seat passengers on my row are sitting unless I hang (aka shake) from the seat of the person sitting ahead of me (which I hate doing), or unless I awkwardly straddle facing the passenger that won't stand up.

I recently flew the same plane cross-country, but this time I was the one sitting on a middle seat 17E. The two times my window neighbor wanted to go to the restroom it didn't even occur to me not to stand up to let him in and out.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I'm not a fan of this either and I either ask people to get up or make it a point I'm getting up when sitting in an aisle seat.
JPat likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I'm usually an aisle guy, and even in bulkheads/emergency exit rows I find it awkward not to just get up for passengers wanting in/out of the aisle.. Some insist and squeeze through, and it's generally fine, but a tight squeeze / usually involving grabbing the front seat, but personally I don't see the logic in not just standing up/letting people out (barring physical challenges, of course).
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This isn't just exit rows... some passengers prefer you to climb over them.

A polite "I'd rather not climb over you, would you mind standing up for a moment" usually elicits the response I'm looking for
NoLaGent, Bellerina, pcoll and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
This isn't just exit rows... some passengers prefer you to climb over them.

A polite "I'd rather not climb over you, would you mind standing up for a moment" usually elicits the response I'm looking for
I'm roughly the same size as the OP and use the same line with the same results.
LeonS likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Reminds me of a recent DCA-SEA flight where I was in a middle PE seat and the woman on the aisle (who had bunkered down for the winter with her blanket, scarf, mask, hat, etc.) declined to stand up to let me out. She instead swiveled to the side, forcing me to indelicately crawl over her and in the process mangle her foot - surprised I didn’t break it. The next time I needed to exit she stood up...
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I always select aisle seats when I can, I do that knowing full well that I will need to get up anytime the inside passengers want out. (and I do even if they suggest they can just crawl over, and I often wait standing in the aisle during the flight for them to come back before I sit down again) If I were to select a window (or get stuck in a middle) I know that I will have to ask the aisle person to get up so I can exit. Crawling over people is just not "a thing" for me. So, go ahead and feel free to ask them to stand so you can access your seat.
be_rettSEA, JPat and UAPremierExec like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AS
When I have been in aisle seat, I would step out and let other passengers in during boarding. However, when in flight, I have found it easier to release armrest on aisle, push it up and turn my legs to aisle. That way I do not have to unplug from work I am doing.
The button to release armrest is under toward back, just push it up. Armrest can be kept up during flight, just not during take off and landing.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Yeah, this is too much of a squeeze. And if someone has mobility issues, they have no business being in the emergency exit row either...
JPat and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I'm 6'4. Its always a I need you to stand up and slide out. Only exception is Row 1. I love being able to just walk around C/D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.