Old Feb 10, 20, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Purchasing a refundable ticket

How is it done online? I have no idea!
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you book, simply click the box marked "refundable" as opposed to "lowest fare".
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
How is it done online? I have no idea!
after you enter your fare search, next page has days of the week across top, with choices of flights listed. Just below that, left side are two boxes. Lowest fare is automatically selected. Just click on Refundable and those fare will be reflected.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Be sure to do it again for the return if you want a refundable round trip....clicking the refundable box is only for the one flight.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by kileysmom View Post
Be sure to do it again for the return if you want a refundable round trip....clicking the refundable box is only for the one flight.
Beware, though, that if you book a refundable fare for only half the itinerary, the entire itinerary inherits the most restrictive ticket rules - meaning it won't actually be refundable. If you want to do that, best to book two one-way tickets.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC
While I can understand the logic behind itineraries inheriting the most restrictive ticket rules, I'm surprised AS let you book and pay extra for a "refundable" leg that isn't actually refundable.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not about "let" it is about publishing fare rules and then permitting customers to make their own decisions.

Customers often do not want a refundable ticket, but the last few tickets on a given flight may be the most expensive and thus in the highest fare bucket. In that case, one would be forced (if one wishes to fly AS) to purchase the refundable fare bucket.

There are hundreds, if not more, reasons to take and not take various actions related to air travel. Can't program around just one.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by xarantine View Post
While I can understand the logic behind itineraries inheriting the most restrictive ticket rules, I'm surprised AS let you book and pay extra for a "refundable" leg that isn't actually refundable.
I mentioned that from first-hand experience when I needed to change one segment of a RT itinerary (and I had booked full-fare for that segment precisely because I might need to change it). I was able to get it changed without a fee thanks to a sympathetic CS rep, but I learned my lesson. The confirmation page is less than clear that the refundable segment is actually not refundable when paired with a more restrictive segment. As a MVP, I'm always wary of splitting itineraries due to risking twice the change fee to cancel, but if one of them is refundable anyway, then it doesn't matter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: