Wiki Posts
Search

Waking up for meals in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Waking up for meals in F

This is something that happened to me this past week, and I am curious as to your thoughts/opinions/experiences on AS. I was on a SEA-BWI flight that departed about 8am in F. I had connected on a red-eye and was fast asleep by taxi. The FA had taken drink and meal orders on the ground, I hadn't pre-reserved a meal.

About an hour later, the very nice FA woke me up and let me know that she was about to serve breakfast, and that my drink was at my seat. I was shocked that she woke me as I have never had an Alaska FA do that before. I have nothing against the FA and don't want to turn this in to a FA bashing discussion, but it seems that it would have been better (I would have preferred it anyway) to let the passenger sleep. I understand that the meal may not be good in an hour or two if I woke up and wanted to still eat, but I think that's my choice if go to sleep and miss the meal time.

Would you rather be left alone or checked on if you wish to eat?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if I was thinking ahead, and expecting to be asleep, I'd either decline the meal or request that the FA skip serving me ... unless the FA can read minds with 100% accuracy, she can't win here; some other passenger who had also fallen asleep would likely complain about missing the meal service
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Personally would rather be woken and asked. Have had the opposite experience with an early AM flight on not much sleep, but definitely wanted to eat breakfast. Woke up as FA was clearing my seat-mates tray. Got whatever was leftover, but would've rather had a choice and eaten sooner.

If I'm asleep that early into the flight, there's a good chance I'll fall right back asleep if I'm not interested in the meal anyhow.
sea_jeff and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is 100% on OP. He ordered breakfast. What exactly did he expect the FA to do?

If OP wanted to skip the meal, the thing to do is to say "skip" to the FA and then expressly ask not to be disturbed. Tons of people do it. Other than when there is a real need or a simple mistake, it works,
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
As a self-proclaimed foodie and life-long member of Weight Watchers, I would ALWAYS want to be woken up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner...no questions asked....I'm never so tired that I can't (or won't) eat
Bellerina and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by AKDan
The FA had taken drink and meal orders on the ground, I hadn't pre-reserved a meal.
Did you request a meal at that time? If so, then the FA was doing you a courtesy. He/she would have no way of knowing that you only wanted the meal if you didn't dose off in the next hour.

If you declined breakfast on the ground, then I would find this a bit odd.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
You mentioned you didn't pre-select a meal, but that she took your meal order on the ground and you specified you wanted a meal?

If you had just ordered a drink, they would've delivered it on the center console or your tray if it was deployed, and left you sleeping. Seen this multiple times, happens to me every now and then.
But, I often see them wake up people when food is being delivered... seems pretty common. Maybe they could've delivered it later in the meal if requested when ordered? Honestly not sure, I don't have much experience with that.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
As a self-proclaimed foodie and life-long member of Weight Watchers, I would ALWAYS want to be woken up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner...no questions asked....I'm never so tired that I can't (or won't) eat
at first i was like, a foodie aint excited about in-air meals. then i was like, weight watchers members are excited about all meals.
95037, onanisland and MEABFlyer like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
at first i was like, a foodie aint excited about in-air meals. then i was like, weight watchers members are excited about all meals.
Bingo (with the exception of polenta, arugula, and random oranges on top of chicken)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have noticed FAs pausing at a sleeping passenger to see if they were going to wake up and order, when the passenger did not they moved on to the next passenger. The only times I have seen an FA wake up a passenger is when they ordered something (drink, meal, etc) I agree with others though, this is one of those cannot win situations often.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
I recall flying SFO-JFK and the FA offered to serve pax who woke up mid-flight their meals.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’ve been flying premium domestic and internationally for 15 years. Specifically on AS, I have never seen an FA waking a sleeping passenger up. They almost always delay service to said pax, or peek to see if they’re awake, and then skip them. I was surprised to read that the FA actually woke the OP up. They usually always skip servicing someone whose fell asleep if they haven’t given them the meal yet that I have witnessed.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:02 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Most of the time if I’m awake when they’re taking meal orders, I just tell them to skip me if I’m asleep. If I’m asleep by ordering time (which is fairly common), most AS FAs don’t wake me up. If there’s time, I usually get asked if I want breakfast or any coffee.

One did wake me up and I unintentionally shot her this look that says “...?” About an hour later, I apologized for glaring at her like she was an unfriendly ogre and we shared a laugh about how FAs are in a no win position when someone’s asleep.

Last week on an AA A330 in J, I had my seat fully flat, two blankets on, and i was facing away from the aisle when “tap tap tap, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DRINK?” A little later as I’m asleep AGAIN, facing away from the aisle “TAP TAP TAP, PUT YOUR TRAY DOWN.”
IHBvet93 and NWplatinum like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:17 pm

I once ordered and fell asleep on a 6am departure many years ago. I woke up half way through the 3 hour flight and the FA gave me my meal then.

I always thought the norm and training was not to wake sleeping pax up under any circumstances. Unless of course the oxygen masks have fallen, and the cabin has depressurized.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog

Last week on an AA A330 in J, I had my seat fully flat, two blankets on, and i was facing away from the aisle when “tap tap tap, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DRINK?” A little later as I’m asleep AGAIN, facing away from the aisle “TAP TAP TAP, PUT YOUR TRAY DOWN.”
What? Was this an old or new FA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.