Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waking up for meals in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
It never hurts to ask, but narrow body airplanes don’t have chillers and limited oven capacity. The service flow of serving all hot meals, usually in the first half of the flight, reflects these limitations.
Why does limited oven capacity matter? If they are empty after the initial meal service it doesn't take a lot of capacity to heat one meal.

Anyway, in the past, when they have come around for meal choices on longer flights, I have occasionally said that I'm not hungry and asked if I could get the meal later in the flight instead. It's never been a problem.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why does limited oven capacity matter? If they are empty after the initial meal service it doesn't take a lot of capacity to heat one meal.

Anyway, in the past, when they have come around for meal choices on longer flights, I have occasionally said that I'm not hungry and asked if I could get the meal later in the flight instead. It's never been a problem.
A lot of times, a crew can make it work and, like I said, it never hurts to ask. There are many limitations in a tiny gallery that can make it hard to deliver personal service, such as hot dishes that are stored in the oven by catering, lack of cold storage, and a need to heat crew meals at some point in the flight. A wide body doesn’t have these limitations, which is why there can be different service expectations.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:11 pm

Huh? You can absolutely take your meal later if you want to. I've done it before on AS (and other domestic airlines).

I'm not sure why you think that the galley is not set up for it. Everything needed to heat up the meal is still there a few hours later.
Do you really want to eat a meal that has either
A) been sitting in a cart at room temperature for 3 hours and then heated up or
B) been sitting in a warm oven for 3 hours after having been heated initially

In either case, you're just asking for salmonella. 737's don't have chillers - at least not Alaska's 737's and, while some FA's may be willing to serve your meal three hours later, I don't think it's safe. There's a reason health departments require restaurants to keep food stored in safe temperatures.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
You should have gone back to sleep instead of writing about this huge issue when flying First Class.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yes to both.

In either case, you're just asking for salmonella.
That's ridiculously paranoid. I eat leftovers the next day without refrigeration all the time. Next day breakfast pizza is the best. I don't even warm it up.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:03 pm

Yes to both.

That's ridiculously paranoid. I eat leftovers the next day without refrigeration all the time. Next day breakfast pizza is the best. I don't even warm it up.
I love next day pizza as well - and I generally don't refrigerate it either. Still, what you do or what I do in our own homes is on us - if an airline serves you a meal that's been sitting at room temperature for several hours and you get sick from it then it becomes the airlines problem. Do you tell restaurants that it's "ridiculously paranoid" to have hold times on food that's not properly refrigerated or kept warm? Maybe you do, I don't know - I just know that I'm not serving a meal to anyone that's been sitting around for hours in unsafe temperatures. There's a real reason for these hold times and proper storage temps, etc. Its okay if you don't agree.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
Wasn't there an airline that had cards you'd put out saying something to the effect of "wake me for meals" on one side and "do not disturb" on the other? I recall reading something like that but can't find it now.

I'll always take a meal over sleep, but I certainly understand not everyone feels that way and sympathize with the FA's no-win position.
United used to have those little sticky cards in their business class and first class amenity packs, but I haven't seem them for many many years.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by AS Flyer

In either case, you're just asking for salmonella. 737's don't have chillers - at least not Alaska's 737's and, while some FA's may be willing to serve your meal three hours later, I don't think it's safe. There's a reason health departments require restaurants to keep food stored in safe temperatures.
Yeah, that's being paranoid. If it were really a problem Alaska would have a prohibition on serving meals after a three hour tarmac delay.

I almost always eat late on the westbound evening transcons; maybe ~4 hours into the flight. This means I'm eating dinner at a normal west coast time, and so I don't get home famished and am then binge eating at 10pm. FAs have always been willing to do it, which I appreciate.

As for the OP, he should have either said 'skip' on breakfast, or said 'i'd like X but I'm going to take a nap first; would you please be able to save it for me.' I think the FA was definitely justified in waking him up otherwise.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpartyAir
United used to have those little sticky cards in their business class and first class amenity packs, but I haven't seem them for many many years.
They have "do not disturb" lights in many international J and F products (including Polaris).

The ones in Polaris are not in the best spot though and I tend to bump the button while I'm asleep, so whether the light is on or off has very little (if any) correlation to my wishes. I usually just tell the FA that I'm going to sleep and ask not to be woken for the meal.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
Wasn't there an airline that had cards you'd put out saying something to the effect of "wake me for meals" on one side and "do not disturb" on the other? I recall reading something like that but can't find it now.
JAL does
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Meh, nothing Alaska offers is worth losing sleep over.

They continuously run their domestic F product into the sewer (the same sewer where they source food from, I assume).
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah, that's being paranoid. If it were really a problem Alaska would have a prohibition on serving meals after a three hour tarmac delay.

I almost always eat late on the westbound evening transcons; maybe ~4 hours into the flight. This means I'm eating dinner at a normal west coast time, and so I don't get home famished and am then binge eating at 10pm. FAs have always been willing to do it, which I appreciate.

As for the OP, he should have either said 'skip' on breakfast, or said 'i'd like X but I'm going to take a nap first; would you please be able to save it for me.' I think the FA was definitely justified in waking him up otherwise.
you’re right. What was I thinking. I couldn’t possibly have any idea what I’m talking about.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: FB gold, HH diamond, Radisson gold, IHG gold
I basically ran a good strip of stickers on the label printer alternately saying "YES please wake me up for service" or "NO please let me sleep during service" that I stick on something that will be both visible and easy to peel off.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SpartyAir
I think I remember seeing them in J on AirBerlin just before they went out of business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.