FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   CX JFK-YVR Evaporated on me... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2007773-cx-jfk-yvr-evaporated-me.html)

GrayAnderson Feb 5, 2020 11:16 pm

CX JFK-YVR Evaporated on me...

So, pass the popcorn...

I'm booked on an AS award redemption JFK-YVR on CX in F on 3 March. As of yesterday (5 February), that route is getting axed on 18 February. So, my flight has evaporated on me (though CX's website still shows me as booked on said flight). Given the situation, I don't even know who I should ask about this (CX or AS; currently I'm going with CX and hoping I can get accommodated on AA metal given the unusual circumstances). If anyone else is in a similar boat, I'm curious as to your advice.

tusphotog Feb 5, 2020 11:18 pm

I thought this route was sticking around until late March?

Enjoy flying AS JFK-SEA-YVR. :D

MKE-MR Feb 5, 2020 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 32038472)

Maybe it was, but CX is cutting a lot more aggressively given recent events. I wouldn't be surprised if its demise has been brought forward.

sfozrhfco Feb 5, 2020 11:52 pm

Yes, 18 February is the last day for that flight. CX is cutting 30% of its system wide capacity--temporarily at this point.

sbs2716g Feb 6, 2020 1:51 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 32038536)
Yes, 18 February is the last day for that flight. CX is cutting 30% of its system wide capacity--temporarily at this point.

CX have blocked the sales. But it does not mean that it have entire cancel. (I know one famous blogger claim it will be cancelled).

Most likely CX will just cancel some days (maybe alternate days). They are blocking the sales so as to reaccomodate the paxes from the cancelled flights. (And also to prevent complains from paxes who will say why still allow to book when you intend to cancel)

estnet Feb 6, 2020 2:13 am

Duh.... if AS issued the ticket you have to deal with them. Always the issuing airline has control - if you find out differently I'm among many who will be shocked.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 32038471)
So, pass the popcorn...

I'm booked on an AS award redemption JFK-YVR on CX in F on 3 March. As of yesterday (5 February), that route is getting axed on 18 February. So, my flight has evaporated on me (though CX's website still shows me as booked on said flight). Given the situation, I don't even know who I should ask about this (CX or AS; currently I'm going with CX and hoping I can get accommodated on AA metal given the unusual circumstances). If anyone else is in a similar boat, I'm curious as to your advice.

GrayAnderson Feb 6, 2020 3:38 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 32038472)

Actually, AS *does* offer AA JFK-LAX-YVR (forced overnight in LA) as an option, albeit in J. I'd probably kill my ticket and switch to DL out of one of my home airports instead of taking AS on a TCON.

WestCoastPDX Feb 6, 2020 6:48 am

So, pass the popcorn...

There is nothing *unusual* about this.

Cathay announced they were canceling the JFK-YVR route. So, contact AS and tell them the flight is cancelled and ask for alternatives.

This sort of thing happens every schedule change - and is neither unusual nor unique. Lots of very clear systems in place at airlines to reroute passengers on booked flights that get canceled for whatever reason.

eponymous_coward Feb 6, 2020 9:18 am

AS owns the ticket until day of flight (which is obviously not going to happen). They are perfectly in their rights to reaccomodate you JFK-SEA-YVR on their own flights. They would even be able to force availability on their own flights. They could also rebook you in AA in J/F assuming awards exist. What they’re not going to do is force AA J/F awards or buy you revenue J/F.

sbs2716g Feb 6, 2020 10:16 am

From latest update by CX, YVR-JFK seem to be gone

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html

under the alternate arrangements section, CX is offering only refunds (and not offering reroute via other carriers) for CX ticket holders.

eponymous_coward Feb 6, 2020 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 32040253)
From latest update by CX, YVR-JFK seem to be gone

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html

under the alternate arrangements section, CX is offering only refunds (and not offering reroute via other carriers) for CX ticket holders.

I would imagine AS would offer JFK-SEA/PDX-YVR if asked, though the palpable :rolleyes: about the downgrade from CX F/J to AS F probably means people won't be enthusiastic about that option.

Oh well. Sic transit gloria mundi, Glad I got my last CX F flight on 865 in October...

tusphotog Feb 6, 2020 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 32040253)
CX is offering only refunds (and not offering reroute via other carriers) for CX ticket holders.

Well it’s not like there is a carrier that flies JFK-YVR anyway. I wonder if they’d route you JFK-HKG-YVR?

Kacee Feb 6, 2020 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 32042640)
I wonder if they’d route you JFK-HKG-YVR?

Preferably with a miles refund, since F only available for JFK-HKG :D

GrayAnderson Feb 7, 2020 3:12 am

I'll admit, under other circumstances I'd take JFK-HKG-YVR :-p

Joking aside, I did look to see if there was space JFK-LHR-YVR on BA.

I'll probably ask AS if they can "locate" space on AA JFK-LAX-YVR in F. If that's a bust, I'll probably just do a refund (and hit my CC for a refund on the "partner fee" if AS won't return it). TBH if the old seats were there and working working and I could rely on getting one, I'd seriously consider an ex-VX A32X (the trip down memory lane would probably be worth the trade for me).

I've got a few routing options I'd be happy with at this point (it looks like I might be able to ram a really nice ticket together on DL if the SDC gods smile upon me...either an afternoon at a lounge at JFK and a "fake Delta One" 752 or an afternoon at ATL and a ride on an international 772LR would not be the worst outcome in the world from this mess...and B6 is offering Mint from BOS at $399 on the days in question, too.

LondonElite Feb 7, 2020 3:28 am

So, pass the popcorn...

You have to deal with the travel agent who sold you the ticket. In this case AS. I don't know that they are going to be able to magic up anything that resembles CX F on that route! Good luck.