Search

Flying with a large painting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:17 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Flying with a large painting

I need to transport a large painting, about 40x30x2. 1) does the elite bag fee waiver apply to oversized bags? 2) does anyone have any experience transporting a similar large, fragile items? Can AS be trusted or should I send it in the mail?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I know a cellist who regularly flies his cello in the cabin, but he has to buy a seat for it.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA
I cannot answer the elite bag issue but I have a lot of experience with having artworks shipped. Is the work framed and is there any glass or fragile elements. The best is to have the work in a wooden crate and shipped which can be heavy. Does it need a high insurance value? For non custom crates — ie less expensive — masterpak makes good shipping boxes that are used by gallery owners.
_fx likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by _fx
I need to transport a large painting, about 40x30x2.
1) does the elite bag fee waiver apply to oversized bags
=
Technically no, it does not. You could package it well and still be within the 115" (linear) dimension limit for an oversized bag though. Taking it on board is not an option (where would it go?).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
If you put yourself in the right seat/plane, you *might* be able to carry it on.

In a similar situation, I easily brought a large painting framed w/glass (24"x36"x2" I think?) on board AS SFO-JFK.

I strategically confirmed myself in window seat 2A (or 2F works the same) in F on a pre-retrofitted Airbus. There is an incredibly generous, wide space to securely slip a painting between the seat and the window in the second row of first class on those planes.

Whether someone will stop you before you get to the plane, is up for debate, but there is space for it. Not sure if 30" is too wide for the TSA X-ray belt or not.

Another potential space is the coat closet in F on the 737s. They are usually 40" tall, not sure if they're 30"+ deep though.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
If you put yourself in the right seat/plane, you *might* be able to carry it on.

In a similar situation, I easily brought a large painting framed w/glass (24"x36"x2" I think?) on board AS SFO-JFK.

I strategically confirmed myself in window seat 2A (or 2F works the same) in F on a pre-retrofitted Airbus. There is an incredibly generous, wide space to securely slip a painting between the seat and the window in the second row of first class on those planes.

Whether someone will stop you before you get to the plane, is up for debate, but there is space for it. Not sure if 30" is too wide for the TSA X-ray belt or not.

Another potential space is the coat closet in F on the 737s. They are usually 40" tall, not sure if they're 30"+ deep though.

Best of luck!
Storing it along side the seat is not considered proper stowage so technically nothing can go there. The coat closet could work but assistive devices get first crack at the closet. If it’s full they could end up asking the OP to check the painting and I don’t think that’s a great idea.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:36 am
_fx
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Zero chance this painting fits anywhere in the cabin unless I buy an entire row of seats. If I have to pay the $100 oversized fee, mail is probably the way to go.

Originally Posted by arttravel
I cannot answer the elite bag issue but I have a lot of experience with having artworks shipped. Is the work framed and is there any glass or fragile elements. The best is to have the work in a wooden crate and shipped which can be heavy. Does it need a high insurance value? For non custom crates — ie less expensive — masterpak makes good shipping boxes that are used by gallery owners.
It's an oil and canvas painting. No frame. It was a gift from a friend, so a bit hard to value, but I assume it's not worth enough to require a wooden crate. Appreciate the MasterPak suggestion ... I see they have several products, is there a particular box you like or would suggest for my use case?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:46 pm

just ship it
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by _fx
Thanks for the input. Zero chance this painting fits anywhere in the cabin unless I buy an entire row of seats. If I have to pay the $100 oversized fee, mail is probably the way to go.

It's an oil and canvas painting. No frame. It was a gift from a friend, so a bit hard to value, but I assume it's not worth enough to require a wooden crate. Appreciate the MasterPak suggestion ... I see they have several products, is there a particular box you like or would suggest for my use case?
Since there's no glass or frame, that makes it easier.

Put in a plastic garbage bag.
Wrap with bubble wrap.
Fold cardboard around entire package and tape.
Find or construct another, larger box.
Pack your pre-constructed "package" into the larger box, suspending it in the middle using packing materials.
Label appropriately: DO NOT CRUSH
Seal and ship.

(I'm an art collector.)
birdiedouble, _fx and jjmadison like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
This is quickly becoming non-existent and there is absolutely no way to confirm you will fly on a plane with this cabin.
Flying for Fun and jjmadison like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This is quickly becoming non-existent and there is absolutely no way to confirm you will fly on a plane with this cabin.
Alaska really ruined west coast F travel when they bought Virgin America. Quick downward spiral to join the other domestic F offerings.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:22 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste
Alaska really ruined west coast F travel when they bought Virgin America. Quick downward spiral to join the other domestic F offerings.
I appreciate all the helpful replies ITT thus far and would appreciate it even more if it didn’t turn into yet another “AS F suxs” debate.
Flying for Fun, AS Flyer and tonei like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by _fx

Not sure about Masterpak, but here's an idea. FedEx Office sells a box that will probably fit your painting and it's only $22. If you ship it through them they'll help you crate it/pack it and include the packing material in the price. Shipping it via FedEx Ground with them right then and there should also not run you that much. Just the hassle of carrying something like this on a flight would make me want to pay to ship it rather than bring it with me, but that's just me .
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by _fx

So is it mounted on a wooden stretcher? How strong is the stretcher. I have had items sent by regional auction houses that used UPS stores and things have been damaged -- at least you do not have glass.

I have never used a garbage bag to wrap something first -- tend to use glassine to protect the surface of the artwork. then either a masterpak titan box or a lot of bubble wrap and box within a box; hate the Styrofoam pellets. Bubble wrap is my friend.

I have been involved with art professionally and personally for decade and thankfully very few disasters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.