Search

Flying with a large painting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:03 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by arttravel
So is it mounted on a wooden stretcher? How strong is the stretcher. I have had items sent by regional auction houses that used UPS stores and things have been damaged -- at least you do not have glass.

I have never used a garbage bag to wrap something first -- tend to use glassine to protect the surface of the artwork. then either a masterpak titan box or a lot of bubble wrap and box within a box; hate the Styrofoam pellets. Bubble wrap is my friend.

I have been involved with art professionally and personally for decade and thankfully very few disasters.
The canvas is mounted on a wooden stretcher, not rolled. I’m not an art expert so I’m not sure how strong it is. My plan was to mail the entire piece as-is.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Ship it. I bought art, factory sealed, Alaska dropped something on it, broke a corner, and claimed it was my fault. No coverage.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I transported a large painting before, mounted in a wooden frame. The painting fits over a fireplace. It was just cheap art, nothing worth a lot of money. I bought a box and shipped it as cargo on the same flight as I took. I picked it up at cargo but I think they said it wouldn't be read for 4 hours. It was ready when I went there after 2 hours. I flew United, though, not Alaska. It was a non-stop West Coast flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.