Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award cancellation fee on Cathay F due to Coronavirus

Old Jan 31, 20, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi experts,
does AS charge $125 award cancellation fee regardless what the reason is? I booked a F tix on Cathay next month but thinking of cancel it due to Coronavirus breakout and probably book JAL F if available, do I still need to pay cancel fee? Thanks
innerspace likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Is CX issuing a travel advisory for your dates yet? You're going to have to call in and argue this one, it will help to show that the airline that flies your plane is doing something.
Old Jan 31, 20, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hondaman82 View Post
Hi experts,
does AS charge $125 award cancellation fee regardless what the reason is? I booked a F tix on Cathay next month but thinking of cancel it due to Coronavirus breakout and probably book JAL F if available, do I still need to pay cancel fee? Thanks
It will be extremely difficult to argue.

1. A travel advisory issued by CX for HKG will practically mean CX ceases its entire passenger operation.

2. State Department's travel advisory against China does not include Hong Kong.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:06 pm
ucc

Originally Posted by hondaman82 View Post
Hi experts,
Just online chatted with AS and cancelled 2 CX J awards for Feb travel. No fee. Give it a try.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:28 pm

I called today for AS award travel on CX through HKG outbound and O/N in HkG on the inbound commencing next week. I had been waiting for an Asia Miles Advisory specifically for HKG which was added overnight. The agent said she had been allowing cancellations recently with full refund of charges and reinstatement of miles for the past several days. The miles have been reinstated and CC charge refunds pending...all went smoothly...
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:36 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Talked to agent when booking a tix on Cathay, and she said they have been waiving the cancelation fee as a courtesy for a few days now.
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:03 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Called AS to cancel Hainan J award CTU-JFK issued by AS.

The agent said the miles will be redeposited, and $150 fee is waived without asking.
Old Feb 1, 20, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Asked about a cancellation to an SQ PVG-SIN ticket (AS redemption) that was for mid March. Was told to pay $125 as a cancellation fee. I'll just wait for SQ to cancel the flight.
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP, TAP Gold
People are canceling trips to Hong Kong??
or they are canceling flights through HKG Airport????

Both strike me as incredibly strange, especially if you have a hard fought F/J award.

Im off to Taiwan in 12 days, then Hong Kong in 5 weeks.

Havent had the slightest thought to cancel.
If the airplanes are flying, Im on em!
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:54 am

I had CX flights ticketed by AS which transited HKG cancelled for free as I told them my travel insurer would not cover anything to do with the unrest in HK...The HK government had rather dramatically described the troubles as 'riots' which was a trigger word for the TA provider to deny coverage for anything arising from it.
I ended up going on JAL, transiting through NRT.
Old Feb 1, 20, 1:25 pm

I just cancelled a March CX J itinerary originating HKG- obviously no waiver in place. I called on the phone and they couldn't waive the fee. I then tried chat and got a very helpful rep who waived it. Will definitely be using chat more frequently from now on.
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Two weeks ago, AS Flyertalkers were wanting to cancel flights to DXB out of fear of WWIII. Now, a flu virus has people wanting to cancel flights to HKG?
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:07 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
This is why I love AS.
jbalmuth and UAuhoh like this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
Two weeks ago, AS Flyertalkers were wanting to cancel flights to DXB out of fear of WWIII. Now, a flu virus has people wanting to cancel flights to HKG?
The flu kills hundreds of thousands of people every year. This is nowhere near the scale of the flu.
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
Almost choked on my Vegemite when I read this. Hahahaha
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: