No fresh food catering

Old Jan 21, 20, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska G75k, SPG Platinum, United Silver.
No fresh food catering

Flying AS360 LAX->PDX this morning. We got on board and nothing was in the FC galley. Catering came on and stocked up drinks and dropped off all the carts. The flight attendant said they had to swap aircrafts and no meals were loaded because they were not prepared for this aircraft due to the swap. Flight was scheduled for a 10am departure, but we pushed back early and left at 9:53am.

I reserved my meal on the app, but since nothing was onboard we were left with a choice of picnic packs.

I know the logistics at the airport are complex but wouldn’t you think they could get the food from the plane and drive it over to the new plane in a few minutes? I’m scratching my head in this one 🧐
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Was it supposed to be an Airbus and was switched to Boeing, or vice versa?

The catering carts are unique to each type.
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by michaelstant View Post
I know the logistics at the airport are complex but wouldn’t you think they could get the food from the plane and drive it over to the new plane in a few minutes?
Unfortunate that it happened, but it probably wasn't a quick fix. As @navydevildoc points out, if it was a different aircraft type, they'd have different carts, and just swapping things between the two carts could easily take 10 minutes. Even if it wasn't a cart switch, but they've got to deliver the food via the little trucks, and airplanes get the right of way on the tarmac, so you're looking at several more minutes for them to route the food over. And we've all seen them load the food, that easily takes 5 minutes, maybe 10, including elevating the load, etc.

In all, wouldn't be unreasonable to assume about a 30 minute delay... all just guesses of course. But it's not a 7 minute fix.

I had a flight significantly delayed last year, we didn't leave til nearly 3AM (originally scheduled for 7PM). The FC FA informed us that they were not taking a food delivery and would only have light snacks, but she figured we'd prefer to get going ASAP instead of waiting 45 minutes to load meals. Everyone in FC was nodding in agreement.

Obviously I'm not sure 45 minutes was standard, or if she was exaggerating, and it obviously doesn't take that long for a planned load... but it didn't seem unrealistic.
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska G75k, SPG Platinum, United Silver.
It was originally scheduled as an Airbus and the new aircraft was also an Airbus.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Bummer, well you got me on what went wrong.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Was it supposed to be an Airbus and was switched to Boeing, or vice versa?

The catering carts are unique to each type.
the catering carts are interchangeable between aircraft types.
QT31415 and pcoll like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
the catering carts are interchangeable between aircraft types.
Once again, Thank You AS Flyer.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:22 pm

It is barely a long enough flight to merit a meal, I wouldn’t worry about it. So you missed out on what was likely not very delicious food...
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
It is barely a long enough flight to merit a meal, I wouldn’t worry about it. So you missed out on what was likely not very delicious food...
Aesop said it better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: