4 out of 8 first class seats not working

Old Jan 20, 20, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
4 out of 8 first class seats not working

1/18 AS 372 SFO to PVR. It was an ex-virgin plane with the 8 seats in F. At least 4 of the seats were not reclining without manual flight attendant intervention. I got last minute 75k upgrade so I can live with that but the couple who paid $1000 for their tickets were pretty appalled. Flight attendant very apologetic and said it was an embarrassment. I understand retrofit is coming but Alaska should be embarrassed about that.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:16 am

This is a common issue on the ex-virgin planes. Alaska’s attitude is that they just don’t care enough since they are being replaced. Sadly the replacement product is so much worse. Silver lining is that there is more upgrade space after the retrofit.
jjmadison and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Silver lining is that there is more upgrade space after the retrofit.
And don't forget, on Virgin there was no such thing as an upgrade.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Better than 5/8 a couple of weeks ago. Again, very apologetic FA. They taught us all how to manually recline, which resulted in those of us in row 2 slamming the seatbacks into the partition and giving a good scare to those in row 6!
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
This is a common issue on the ex-virgin planes. Alaska’s attitude is that they just don’t care enough since they are being replaced. Sadly the replacement product is so much worse. Silver lining is that there is more upgrade space after the retrofit.
I'm on this same flight next week, and am happy that it's (currently) scheduled to be a retrofitted Airbii.

I disagree with your opinion on the new seats, I actually like them and it's nice that they're in good shape and work, compared to the old white recliners. Just don't sit in row 1, the legroom is abysmal.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
AS did one bulk repair in Q3 of 2019. I don't have info on what F seat repairs have occurred since.

As olouie noted, this has been a problem for over a year now, with many reports in the Airbus A319/20/21N Reconfiguration/Repainting Tracking Thread.

It's akin to someone buying a second-hand BMW and only doing the maintenance required on a Camry. The worst I've seen are seats with packing tape criss-crossing the seat and a hand-scrawled sign reading "DO NOT USE." When I witness negligence in maintaining the F cabin, it immediately makes me concerned about what else is being neglected that we don't see. Everyone boarding such flights (regardless of cabin) can't help but notice and wonder if other parts of the plane are in disrepair. Not a good look for AS, or any company where proper maintenance is key to customer safety.
NoLaGent and pcoll like this.

Last edited by jjmadison; Jan 20, 20 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
And don't forget, on Virgin there was no such thing as an upgrade.
Well there were upgrades just no free upgrades. I snagged a lot of the cheap upgrades SFO to/from JFK when I had virgin status.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sjbsf View Post
1/18 AS 372 SFO to PVR. It was an ex-virgin plane with the 8 seats in F. At least 4 of the seats were not reclining without manual flight attendant intervention. I got last minute 75k upgrade so I can live with that but the couple who paid $1000 for their tickets were pretty appalled. Flight attendant very apologetic and said it was an embarrassment. I understand retrofit is coming but Alaska should be embarrassed about that.
the subject aircraft was N841VA (nerdbird). And it’s one of two remaining “legacy” 320s flying in VX interior. (N621va - the original 320 is the other). Nerdbird should go to GSO by the end of the month.

remaining is the atrocious 319s and fairly new sharklets 320s which are ok at the moment. I hope the focus is to do the 319s next.
NoLaGent, jjmadison and sltlyamusd like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers View Post
the subject aircraft was N841VA (nerdbird). And it’s one of two remaining “legacy” 320s flying in VX interior. (N621va - the original 320 is the other). Nerdbird should go to GSO by the end of the month.

remaining is the atrocious 319s and fairly new sharklets 320s which are ok at the moment. I hope the focus is to do the 319s next.
Agreed on all points. I have the 320 down, but for the moment, a 319 back.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Agreed on all points. I have the 320 down, but for the moment, a 319 back.
Flew A319 to ORD three weeks back and actually thought the interior was pretty much fine, though I didn’t sit in F. Although I was on one a few months earlier with F seats that showed lots of wear. Not really sure what the plan is—if they intend to sell these planes will AS bother reconfiguring them?
Old Jan 21, 20, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
Flew A319 to ORD three weeks back and actually thought the interior was pretty much fine, though I didn’t sit in F. Although I was on one a few months earlier with F seats that showed lots of wear. Not really sure what the plan is—if they intend to sell these planes will AS bother reconfiguring them?
I believe the plan is to return all the 319's to the lessor and AA is supposed to buy them. I don't think you will ever see a retro fitted 319.
navydevildoc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: