I'm cheating on Alaska

Old Jan 18, 20, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm cheating on Alaska

I try to fly Alaska whenever I can for domestic travel but sometimes their pricing just doesn't make sense.

I need to fly JFK->SEA after coming back from an international trip and I want to fly first class. I booked JetBlue Mint with a lie-flat seat for $518. Alaska's first class price on the same day is $719.

Excited to give Mint a try. Wish Alaska had a competitive product or lower first for their FC.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:34 pm

Yeah JetBlue's pricing is strange. Even within I (their discount business) they will sometimes have a single flight that's priced $200 less than everything else. It's a great deal of the timing works for you.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 19, 20 at 1:18 am
Old Jan 19, 20, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I have no hesitation in being a free agent now that there’s “elite tax” (aka Saver fares). Alaska’s fares match enough out of SEA such that I retain some status by how the chips fall, but my business is starting to go elsewhere...
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by AwayFromOffice View Post
I booked JetBlue Mint with a lie-flat seat for $518. Alaska's first class price on the same day is $719.
I'd buy this on general principle. I recall a few times when they had SFO - JFK Mint for $499? Pick the 4 center ones on each side and you'll have your own section with added privacy.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:15 am

We fly almost all for recreation from SEA, long time Alaska exclusive folks. Last year ended up half on delta, mostly for $ and or schedule. My kids (who all have their own screens) rave about the back of seat screen on Delta and the nicer staff.

A generation from SEA lost, Alaska.
michellt, BW Flyer, olouie and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Always worth comparison shopping. DL sells SJC-SEA for $112 in F sometimes. AS is often about the same for Main. Only thing AS offers is flexibility...but if your plans are firm, confirming DL in F is nice at that price.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always worth looking at the F pricing on other carriers or J on B6. But, be sure that your international carrier interlines with B6 as some do. Separate tickets may not make the pricing worth it.
Old Jan 19, 20, 1:15 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K
Mint is amazing. Almost everything about it is better. Seat (obviously), but also the, food, drinks, and service (2 FAs makes a big difference).

No lounge is a bummer, but if you can afford Mint, you can afford a bar/restaurant.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:05 pm

Honestly if I lived in Seattle or LA, DL would be my primary airline. I seriously considered status matching to them this year but from SFO, all my regular destinations (other than NYC) would require a connection, and I strongly prefer direct flights. I'm going to stick with the AS/UA combo for now.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
No lounge is a bummer, but if you can afford Mint, you can afford a bar/restaurant.
Ah, in my estimation, JFK's T5 is pretty nice with some excellent restaurants, in particular a steak house that accepted (not sure if they still do) the PP credit. There was also a serviceable lounge, but forgot if I had accessed it with PP or my Amex.

PS - However, agreed that an arrival lounge certainly separates AA/DL from the rest when flying into JFK especially after a redeye.
Old Jan 19, 20, 4:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Ah, in my estimation, JFK's T5 is pretty nice with some excellent restaurants, in particular a steak house that accepted (not sure if they still do) the PP credit. There was also a serviceable lounge, but forgot if I had accessed it with PP or my Amex.

PS - However, agreed that an arrival lounge certainly separates AA/DL from the rest when flying into JFK especially after a redeye.
The steakhouse is in T8.
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:49 pm

AS fares seem to be on the high side of late. I have been flying DL and UA quite a bit these days. I don't consider it cheating when you save money flying some other airline than AS.
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by toadman View Post
AS fares seem to be on the high side of late. I have been flying DL and UA quite a bit these days. I don't consider it cheating when you save money flying some other airline than AS.
Not just lately - AS has been able to charge a premium in SEA and PDX due to their dominance and customer loyalty. DL has changed the game in SEA.
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:10 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Always worth comparison shopping. DL sells SJC-SEA for $112 in F sometimes. AS is often about the same for Main. Only thing AS offers is flexibility...but if your plans are firm, confirming DL in F is nice at that price.
Furthermore, Im guessing that for that stage length, Id be nearly indifferent between Y+ on an A220 and F on a 737 NG (Im not very wide)...
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:42 pm

Alaska buying Virgin America definitely reduced available quality for the routes VX served. The F seats with adjustable foot rests on VX were the best.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: