Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any 2020 status year soft landings for 2019 elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of any soft landings for elites that lost mvp gold this year? I have a few flights I just booked and I'm hoping there's something coming along.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Has anyone heard of any soft landings for elites that lost mvp gold this year? I have a few flights I just booked and I'm hoping there's something coming along.
Were you close to requalifying?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Usually it’s “fly a bunch and after you fly a bunch we’ll give it back”, not a soft landing...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Usually it’s “fly a bunch and after you fly a bunch we’ll give it back”, not a soft landing...
I have no firsthand data points from this year, but I do have a firsthand data point that they used to give soft landings years ago. (I got one Jan 2016 from MVPG to MVP, despite not being close to requalifying at all.)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Is the the same as the promotion “We want you back” fly XX,000 miles in 90 days to get your old status back?

I recall Alaska offering this in the past, usually around Jan 15th.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Being very literal, a "soft landing" is when you were 75k last year, you flew barely at all, and AS comps you Gold (or MVP) for this year as a goodwill gesture to encourage you to keep flying them. I don't know if AS does this or not.

A "status challenge" is when you were close (or not so close) to requalifying and they say "Fly X miles/segments by Y date, and we'll give you last year's status again". AS often runs these in January.

I did a Gold challenge a couple years ago, and IIRC, AS charged something like $150-$200 to participate in the challenge which was to fly 10,000 BIS miles before end of March or something like that. It's a pretty decent deal, especially if you already have a trip or two planned in that timeframe.

Watch your email for an invite, and this board for others' experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.