Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JAL F Major Schedule Change - Help Needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi everyone, I originally booked JAL 003 F April 21, JFK NRT, 1 pax.

Due to seasonal sched change, JAL cancelled the flight as all JAL flights from JFK will go to HND —now Alaska can “only” put me on a much later non- JAL flight (JFK-LAX-HND with Alaska and AA) arriving one day later. Problem is made non refundable hotel bookings $500 a night.

Is Alaska obligated and capable in this case to: 1) force JAL to open up F on JFK - HND on April 21, 20, 19? Totally ok with arriving 1 or 2 days earlier; 2) if option 1) fails, can I request Alaska to buy revenue F on an earlier JAL flight from any east coast to HND?

Thank you!

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; Jan 17, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you paid the taxes and fees on the award ticket with a credit card that has travel insurance (eg, the CSR) that would be covered.

Also, of you purchased travel insurance from AS on the checkout screen, that would cover it.

If you don't have any travel insurance, I'd contact customer care and see what they can do. There is no way they are buying you a revenue ticket. They may contact JL and see about opening up space (particularly if you are willing to fly in a lower class of service). I'm not sure if they would reimburse a hotel room. You might be able to negotiate for a credit? They are not actually required to give you anything beyond a rebooking at a later date, or a refund, though. From the DOT:

Is an airline required to reimburse me for expenses if it cancels my flight and I am forced to miss my cruise, honeymoon, wedding, concert, or other activity?

No. Airlines are not required to reimburse you for any trip costs affected by the cancelled flight, such as a prepaid hotel room, a cruise, a vacation, concert or other tickets, or lost wages.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It seems JL3 is operating on 4.21 JFK-HND. Its showing F7 right now.

Is there an issue flying into HND?

Depending on the nature of schedule changes- you can always ask for a liaison to work with JL on alternate plans. May or may not pan out.

Can't see AS buying a JL F ticket however.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
It seems JL3 is operating on 4.21 JFK-HND. Its showing F7 right now.

Is there an issue flying into HND?

Depending on the nature of schedule changes- you can always ask for a liaison to work with JL on alternate plans. May or may not pan out.

Can't see AS buying a JL F ticket however.
When you say F7, do you mean they are available as award redemptions? What about April 19 or 20?

Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you paid the taxes and fees on the award ticket with a credit card that has travel insurance (eg, the CSR) that would be covered.

Also, of you purchased travel insurance from AS on the checkout screen, that would cover it.

If you don't have any travel insurance, I'd contact customer care and see what they can do. There is no way they are buying you a revenue ticket. They may contact JL and see about opening up space (particularly if you are willing to fly in a lower class of service). I'm not sure if they would reimburse a hotel room. You might be able to negotiate for a credit? They are not actually required to give you anything beyond a rebooking at a later date, or a refund, though. From the DOT:

Is an airline required to reimburse me for expenses if it cancels my flight and I am forced to miss my cruise, honeymoon, wedding, concert, or other activity?

No. Airlines are not required to reimburse you for any trip costs affected by the cancelled flight, such as a prepaid hotel room, a cruise, a vacation, concert or other tickets, or lost wages.
No insurance, sadly.

Thank you. I want to arrive in Tokyo earlier though!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that JL often opens all their F space (except their last seat) as award space a day or two before the flight. You may be able to make a last minute change to the flight you want.

But, definitely, call customer care and see if they can work with JL to open up a spot for you on the flight that you want. If they will only do it in business, I'd take that and keep an eye out for that last minute F space.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I was booked on JL 61 (LAX-NRT) on an AS partner F award when they changed the service from 77W to 787 two class. JL switched me to JL 15 (LAX-HND). Surprised they didn’t do this for you, and it was JL that did the change. AS didn’t do anything except reconfirm my ticket when JL did the switch, I didn’t even have to request anything from JL. I’m not the only person who got switched, see the thread below. This is for a late May 2020 trip. Might be JL hasn’t gotten to you yet? Or did they switch your flight to the HND flight but the timing doesn’t work any more?

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

That being said you’re dreaming if you think AS is going to buy you revenue F on JL because some other airline changed their schedule, and they’re not going to pay for your hotel either. Airlines most specifically do NOT guarantee schedules a long ways out (especially when AS isn’t flying the plane, it’s not like they can tell JL switch the flight back to Narita) and contracts of carriage specifically say airlines aren’t going to pay for consequential damage like a nonrefundable hotel. That’s on you and why travel insurance exists.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:01 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Call JAL, demand they put you in F on JAL 3 or JAL 5 (JFK-HND). There is no reason why they can't. Just keep on the phone and going up the chain until they do. My brother in law had a similar situation years ago after DL permanently cancelled NRT-HKG a few weeks before the scheduled departure. He demanded DL put him on JAL and they finally conceded.

Bottom line, JAL switched airports, you were in F, they should make it right by putting you in F on JAL 3 (the new one) or JAL 5. Don't give in, keep at them until they give you what you need.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Call JAL, demand request they put you in F on JAL 3 or JAL 5 (JFK-HND). There is no reason why they can't. ... Don't give in, keep at them until they give you what you need would like.
fixed that ... MUCH better to be civil
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: NZ
I am confused by this. JL switched many NA flights from NRT to HND from 29 March 2020. If you were booked on JL3 JFK/NRT then you should have automatically been transferred to JL3 JFK/HND in the same class.

That's what happened for my NRT/ORD flight when it was switched to HND/ORD with the same flight number. AS simply reissued the ticket.

Why were they trying to reroute you?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
I am confused by this. JL switched many NA flights from NRT to HND from 29 March 2020. If you were booked on JL3 JFK/NRT then you should have automatically been transferred to JL3 JFK/HND in the same class.

That's what happened for my NRT/ORD flight when it was switched to HND/ORD with the same flight number. AS simply reissued the ticket.

Why were they trying to reroute you?
Thanks, good question, and no idea. Calling today to request being put back on JAL F! I want to actually depart earlier so we will see.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Thanks, good question, and no idea. Calling today to request being put back on JAL F! I want to actually depart earlier so we will see.
Wait, you’re no longer in first class? I thought it was just the flight time that was the issue?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
OP --

Who informed you that the flight was canceled: JL or AS? In any case, I would POLITELY ask JL to put you in F. Explain to them that you were confimed on the canceled JFK-NRT flight and would like to be confirmed on the JFK-HND flight. Please be polite...it is particularly important from a cultural perspective (demanding is NOT a good idea). It may be a problem if AS has already changed your ticket though.

In the future, the first stop is that operating carrier -- they should be able to rectify a schedule change. Only go to AS if JL refuses to switch you to another flight. You can always ask AS to have someone speak to their liaison at JL (airlines always have someone they can call/email at the other carrier to resolve more difficult issues).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's situation is confusing. What exactly was he ticketed on before the change and what exactly is he ticketed on now? Need origin, destination, date, flight numbers, and class of service.

It may then be possible to provide OP with solid advice as to a path to resolution. Simply calling, AS, JL or both and blustering is a poor exercise. Having a specific plan which makes it easy, ups the percentage of success immeasurably.

It ultimately falls to the ticketing, not the operating carrier, to change any ticket other than on the day of travel and, if it can't within the constraints of the program, to refund it.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

So here is what happened:

Booked JL 003 for April 21 in F with AS a while ago. Checked booking two days ago and saw a note telling me to call AS.

I called and was told basically two options: JAL F on April 22; or if must depart on April 21, there’s only AS and AA.

Took JAL F on April 22 at the end, no other possibilities on JAL that few days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.