WSJ Airline Ratings - AS #2

Old Jan 16, 20, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
WSJ Airline Ratings - AS #2

2019 Ratings from the Wall Street Journal. Story linked below summary table.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...19-11579097301
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Allegiant (4), Spirit (5), United (8), American (9)
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
AS ranked #5 in involuntary bumping? Maybe it's just the routes I fly, but I can't recall the last time I've ever seen them actually make announcements that they need to bump someone and are looking for volunteers. Must've been over a year ago.
mildfrequence and SEA777GUY like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
American (9)
I was in Dublin this summer taking an EI flight to BDL. There was a huge flight board on the wall, nothing but on time departures. Except for one: an inexplicably cancelled AA flight from DUB-ORD. According to my seatmate (who eventually was rerouted through BDL), AA's solution was just to put him on the AA flight the next day. Some things never change.
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
AS ranked #5 in involuntary bumping? Maybe it's just the routes I fly, but I can't recall the last time I've ever seen them actually make announcements that they need to bump someone and are looking for volunteers. Must've been over a year ago.
I think other airlines have become extremely competitive in bump compensation. AS seems to have been late to this. Probably more for aircraft swaps versus oversells. But my own 2c.
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:57 pm

Unfortunately this article is behind a paywall, but the raw data is freely available from the DOT. Pg 41 of https://www.transportation.gov/sites...ry2019atcr.pdf has the raw IDB data. Since the UA fiasco, many carriers are willing to offer extremely high VDB comp, and they basically have no IDB. DL only had 40 for the whole year (total, not just mainline). Your chances of being IDB on any particular DL flight were about 1 in 4.5 million. AS had 1440 (total, not just mainline) for 0.34 per 10k pax -- about 150x more than DL on a per-pax basis.

Many airlines are willing to go up to $10k VDB comp now. You are not going to get a lot of IDB if you are offering $10k
Old Jan 16, 20, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Unfortunately this article is behind a paywall, but the raw data is freely available from the DOT. Pg 41 of https://www.transportation.gov/sites...ry2019atcr.pdf has the raw IDB data. Since the UA fiasco, many carriers are willing to offer extremely high VDB comp, and they basically have no IDB. DL only had 40 for the whole year (total, not just mainline). Your chances of being IDB on any particular DL flight were about 1 in 4.5 million. AS had 1440 (total, not just mainline) for 0.34 per 10k pax -- about 150x more than DL on a per-pax basis.

Many airlines are willing to go up to $10k VDB comp now. You are not going to get a lot of IDB if you are offering $10k
Wow $10k.... Though someone here recently posted an AS VDB comp of $4k. So maybe AS is wising up.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw View Post
Wow $10k.... Though someone here recently posted an AS VDB comp of $4k. So maybe AS is wising up.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31250956-post193.html

That's an example of $10k for a downgrade (same flight -- not even denied boarding). Later discussion revealed that it was EWR-AMS. Not even a particularly long flight... about the same as a transcon. Almost $2k/hr to sit in economy instead of business.
Old Jan 16, 20, 4:15 pm

Since the UA fiasco, involuntary bumping has become almost non-existent at almost all of the carriers, probably due to a combination of better revenue management software and more generous compensation for volunteers. The only one struggling with it according to the latest report is AA (and they were struggling with all operational aspects up until Sept of last year). I donít think whether I have a 1 in 50,000 or a 1 in 500,000 chance of being involuntarily bumped is going to factor into my air carrier decision.
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Allegiant (4), Spirit (5), United (8), American (9)
I think the allgient CFO is aon a WSJ advisory board
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
Since the UA fiasco, involuntary bumping has become almost non-existent at almost all of the carriers, probably due to a combination of better revenue management software and more generous compensation for volunteers. The only one struggling with it according to the latest report is AA (and they were struggling with all operational aspects up until Sept of last year). I donít think whether I have a 1 in 50,000 or a 1 in 500,000 chance of being involuntarily bumped is going to factor into my air carrier decision.
According to the article, DL INVOL'ed a whopping *9* pax last year, while AA INVOL'ed **over 15,000** (!)

(And for the record, DL no doubt also beat them soundly in the profit department last year. I believe they announced over $1.5 billion in employee profit sharing)
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
According to the article, DL INVOL'ed a whopping *9* pax last year
I've read that number (9) on another forum, but where are you seeing it? The raw data from the DOT report (linked upthread) shows 40.

If it's in the article (I can't access due to paywall) I think it's an error.
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I've read that number (9) on another forum, but where are you seeing it? The raw data from the DOT report (linked upthread) shows 40.

If it's in the article (I can't access due to paywall) I think it's an error.
The DOT report linked upthread contains data for the calendar year 2018, which is why the numbers donít match the data from the WSJ article. Full year 2019 isnít available yet, only through Q3 for oversales, and through Nov for the other metrics.
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
The DOT report linked upthread contains data for the calendar year 2018, which is why the numbers donít match the data from the WSJ article. Full year 2019 isnít available yet, only through Q3 for oversales, and through Nov for the other metrics.
Oh, my mistake. So DL had been crushing this for 2 years...
Old Jan 18, 20, 7:54 am

The guess here regarding involuntary bumping is the constant switching between legacy AS metal and legacy VX Airbus metal. I can't tell how many times I've had my status as economy versus premium economy changed ahead of the flight when there's an aircraft swap a week ahead of time - or maybe a day ahead of time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: