Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Trivia Quiz and 15% Discount Code

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by mvoight
The link is generic, so how would it be targeted?
Above it appears there are parameters passed in the URL from email. I posted a clean link without those from the email I received.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG
As mentioned up thread, this quiz came in the Year in Review email. The email claims that the #1 Alaska flyer was Olivier, with 862,529 miles on Alaska in 2019. That’s around 2300 miles each day, 365 days a year. A transcon every day of the year. Does Olivier have a family on each coast or what?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
As mentioned up thread, this quiz came in the Year in Review email. The email claims that the #1 Alaska flyer was Olivier, with 862,529 miles on Alaska in 2019. That’s around 2300 miles each day, 365 days a year. A transcon every day of the year. Does Olivier have a family on each coast or what?
That's honestly a ridiculous amount of flying.. Maybe the 862k number includes class of service bonus and this guy always flew revenue F? In that case, he could be flying BOS-SEA-HNL-SEA-BOS or something similar weekly, which still sounds crazy lol.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
That's honestly a ridiculous amount of flying.. Maybe the 862k number includes class of service bonus and this guy always flew revenue F? In that case, he could be flying BOS-SEA-HNL-SEA-BOS or something similar weekly, which still sounds crazy lol.
My summary included CoS bonus. So maybe - but yeah, even still. Wow.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:26 am

Maybe the stats include partner flights?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
No discount received after 10/10. No email received. I'm opted-in.
Received the email this morning. Discount received after 5/10 questions correct.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
Above it appears there are parameters passed in the URL from email. I posted a clean link without those from the email I received.
Yes, that makes sense now, but not possible to tell from the original post, as the link posted actually takes you to the quiz.
I just got the email this afternoon, so redid the trivia and now have the discount code

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 17, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Strange.. Took the quiz but nada in my discount codes
Did you take it based on the link in the first post or the full link received by email.
The original post only showed a partial URL,but that actually let you take the quiz,but had no connection to your account
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
Did you take it based on the link in the first post or the full link received by email.
The original post only showed a partial URL,but that actually let you take the quiz,but had no connection to your account
From my email showing all my stats for the year. Last page had fine print re: discount terms/conditions, but no actual code, and nothing in my discount codes on the site (except my companion fare for the year). Wonder if it's worth reaching out to AS about?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I also got the email today and this time when I did the quiz, I got the "book now" link. Just unfortunate the restrictions they put on it - book by Monday 01/20 for travel between April 21 - June 10, 2020...

I know I need to book a trips in February & early April - so neither of those qualify I'll probably be traveling during the offered window, but I won't know destinations by this weekend, so a bit of a bummer.

Originally Posted by williwaw
My summary included CoS bonus. So maybe - but yeah, even still. Wow.
My summary said I flew 48,933 and achieved Gold, when my app (and my own tracking) showed I flew 52,646 with AS & partners including CoS bonus (34,335 with AS / 18,311 with partners).

At first I thought it was just missing some flight(s) but couldn't find anything logical that made the math work, so then I went and looked at my flights with AS that had a CoS bonus, and that's the difference. All my CoS bonuses this year were from booking F with AS, no partner CoS so not sure if those would be calculated differently.

So my stats email appear to only show BiS miles. It's nice to know those few flights where I just bought F outright because it was a good deal ended up saving me a mileage run at the end of the year
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My "total mileage plan miles a earned in the air" seems to be BIS only but includes partners. I can double check later. It's way less than my eqm, and way more (about double) my AS miles flown, so I don't see what else it could be.

It also said I had 0 award flight redeemed. That is either wrong, or not counting partner flights.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 17, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Hmm... my recap showed the BIS miles.
Took the quiz and got 7/10. Received the code on clicking the “Book” button.

Apparently my booking wasn’t eligible for the discount.

Oh well - it’s a company trip anyway and I got to use a couple GGUs SEA-JFK so it wasn’t all bad.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My total mileage is off by 1049 (39417 in email, I had 40466 EQM/BIS). I didn't have any COS bonuses or partners. Can't figure out the difference. Didn't take any flights which were exactly 1049 either.

And none of mine were manually posted, to my knowledge... so that doesn't explain my difference. Couldn't even come up with a combination of flights to be 1049...

Last edited by bmvaughn; Jan 17, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My "total mileage plan miles a earned in the air" seems to be BIS only but includes partners. I can double check later. It's way less than my eqm, and way more (about double) my AS miles flown, so I don't see what else it could be.

It also said I had 0 award flight redeemed. That is either wrong, or not counting partner flights.
Per the email, the fine print states:

Originally Posted by Alaska Email
Miles flown for 2019 represent base miles flown on Alaska Airlines reservations with a valid Mileage Plan number. The total does not include bonus miles, flights that were manually posted, or miles earned with Mileage Plan Shopping, Dining, Hotels, Car Rentals, or other non-air partners.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
No way anyone did that much on AS, and I sincerely doubt it is BIS including partners.

You would think AS would sanity check something like that before sending it out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.