Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

R-E-A-L-L-Y Long Westbound TCON ... With 5 Empty Seats in F

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi -

So I am on AS #1367 , BOS-LAX. Three things stuck out:

1) The flight went out with 7/12 in F and 90 in Y/Y+ I have NEVER seen a TCON go out with 5 empty seats up front.

2) Takeoff to touchdown is blocked at 6:50. OMG, almost 7 hours? I could get to LHR faster than that.

3) Nice service, but they served ice cream and told us to use the spoon in the lid. Total rookie move on my part -- I shoulda kept the spoon from the main course.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:59 pm

Ugh, that sucks. I flew to the east coast and was please rly surprised that SEA-DCA clocked in at just under 4 hours so figured going the other way must’ve sucked.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:46 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
With the winds, flight times on West Coast-bound TCONs are especially bad this time of year.

Last March my DCA-SFO clocked in at around 6:50 and the captain advised us that we may have to make a fuel stop (A320) and would let us know if that would be necessary as we got over the Plains. Luckily we didn't need to.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
yesterday our jfk-sfo blocked 7.10

i even saw a delta jfk-las at 6.15
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
no upgradable MVP/Gold/75k's??!

[QUOTE=Orwaid;31955995]Hi -

1) The flight went out with 7/12 in F and 90 in Y/Y+ I have NEVER seen a TCON go out with 5 empty seats up front.

How is it possible that there were ZERO of the 90 who would have been automatically upgraded? No Golds, 75K's on a transcon? Anyone able to voice in how this is a reasonable possibility? I've never seen it, and frankly one of the endearing features of AS - they make sure their F seats are filled. First of course with paying pax, then with upgrades. Every time I'm listed for an upgrade to F, there's a long list of upgrade requests. I bat about .333 on getting upgraded, which is good enough for the majors
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:39 pm

Ahh so nice when the first class cabin isnt crowded.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinSTL

How is it possible that there were ZERO of the 90 who would have been automatically upgraded? No Golds, 75K's on a transcon? Anyone able to voice in how this is a reasonable possibility? I've never seen it, and frankly one of the endearing features of AS - they make sure their F seats are filled. First of course with paying pax, then with upgrades. Every time I'm listed for an upgrade to F, there's a long list of upgrade requests. I bat about .333 on getting upgraded, which is good enough for the majors
Probably lots of Saver fares. One flight I took recently >50% pax were in boarding group E.
jjmadison and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
Ahh so nice when the first class cabin isnt crowded.
Full of people like me that buy F seats perhaps.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
It's not impossible. Going the other way recently they were calling for a military pax in uniform, because they had one F seat left.

Didn't get anybody, so it went out empty. I felt a little silly using a GGU on the flight and paying for a higher fare class, for an upgrade i clearly would have gotten anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
That's why you got all those VX emergency fuel stop several years ago
FluxTZ likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:43 am

Just to illustrate the magnitude of the winds, AS SFO-BOS today was 4:37 takeoff to touchdown while BOS-SFO was 7:07 takeoff to touchdown! Distance is 2704 mi.
b00mer89 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dordal
It's not impossible. Going the other way recently they were calling for a military pax in uniform, because they had one F seat left.

Didn't get anybody, so it went out empty. I felt a little silly using a GGU on the flight and paying for a higher fare class, for an upgrade i clearly would have gotten anyway.
Yeah that happened to me the one time I used GGUs... which is why I stopped using them. The minimum fare requirement to makes them kind of pointless. This is one area where AS is behind the competition. They should be good on any main cabin fare.
Visconti and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Just to illustrate the magnitude of the winds, AS SFO-BOS today was 4:37 takeoff to touchdown while BOS-SFO was 7:07 takeoff to touchdown! Distance is 2704 mi.
Was that the 5:05pm BOS-SFO? Pilot had originally told us flight time would be 7 hours and 13 minutes. A loud groan was heard throughout the aircraft. F did go out full on this flight (with me occupying a seat in row 4).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Was that the 5:05pm BOS-SFO? Pilot had originally told us flight time would be 7 hours and 13 minutes.
Yep!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Originally Posted by SteveinSTL

I am on AS460 tonight LAX-JFK. 75K and MVPG on a single PNR N award. At least 2U were open just prior to the 75K window. We were both upgraded at T-120. Fast forward to day of departure, flight still has F for sale at T-22 when I last checked and only 1 on the upgrade list.

There was also an empty F on AS7 JFK-SEA when I flew that January 7th. The winds were strong then too but we were able to fly further north over Canada and didn't cross back south until central British Columbia to get out of their way. Those flying to California aren't so lucky.

Not a transcon, but I thought amusing, when I flew SJC-LAX on January 6th, there were 7 empty F and everybody on the awaiting seats list was seated in Premium. The 739 was empty beyond row 9. The GGU eligible fare was $179 and they were selling F for $199.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.