Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS interline with PR (Philippines Airlines)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM

I currently hold a ticket on PAL from LAX to MNL. Business class. I will have 1 70lb bag and 1 50 lb bag. I bought the ticket a while back as part of a group dive trip. Now, I need to buy my connecting ticket from SJC-LAX (or SFO-LAX). Normally I would take AS, but I was not sure if they will

1) allow interline since on 2 tickets
2) allow weight limits from PAL to be used on their flight, if the do interline.

I plan to buy first class if that helps from SJC to LAX. Any thoughts??
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
AS and PR have an interline agreement, so checking through shouldn't be a problem. However, the 70lbs bag is likely to be an additional charge - AS will likely apply their own baggage allowance at checkin.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
AS should check your bags through to PR, and follow PR baggage allowances.

I've confirmed in Sabre that there is a ticketing and baggage agreement in place between AS and PR.

"When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier."

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Also, might make sense to call customer service and have remarks added to the PNR to avoid any question at check-in. Policy is what it is, but airport staff may not be 100% up to speed on how to handle, particularly if you are counting on PR allowances being applied.
blueman2 and davistev like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 15, 2020 at 7:11 pm Reason: amplification
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
AS should check your bags through to PR, and follow PR baggage allowances.

I've confirmed in Sabre that there is a ticketing and baggage agreement in place between AS and PR.

"When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier."

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Also, might make sense to call customer service and have remarks added to the PNR to avoid any question at check-in. Policy is what it is, but airport staff may not be 100% up to speed on how to handle, particularly if you are counting on PR allowances being applied.
When AS pulls the PR eticket from the database, the allowance on the ETR/VCR will be annotated "2PC" for baggage allowance. The allowance of weight per bag is not trivial to pull on an interline ticket, and AS staff are probably not trained to figure it out (a recent example on a single ticket: Alaska First Class Baggage Fiasco 2x70lbs vs 2x50lbs). While I agree with you that the letter of the policy is that OP is fine, I would be shocked if AS at the airport actually let a 70lbs bag through, so I think this advice is setting OP up for disappointment.

AS is doing a huge favor by interlining bags across separate tickets (no other US carrier would interline to PR), much less waiving the baggage fee. Making a fuss about this type of thing is how these types of customer friendly policies get scrapped.
Flying for Fun and jsguyrus like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Did just this and they confirmed that they have interline baggage with PR, and will go by PR rules for both number of bags (2) and weight of each bag (70lbs). They added notation to record. Thanks for the advice!

Blueman2
be_rettSEA and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AS is doing a huge favor by interlining bags across separate tickets (no other US carrier would interline to PR), much less waiving the baggage fee. Making a fuss about this type of thing is how these types of customer friendly policies get scrapped.
That's one way to look at it...on the other hand, AS is primarily a regional carrier, and connecting visitors and US travelers at int'l gateways is a valuable revenue source that is bolstered by positive passenger experience on interline itineraries (resulting in repeat business). Making a fuss and simply confirming that baggage terms noted on the company's web page are accurate are different animals.

The JFK example you referenced is unfortunate. I've had better luck there in terms of pleasant interactions at that station, but check-in is not handled by AS employees (thus staff are likely less knowledgeable to start with) and there will always be employees that don't have patience to sort through things properly.

Originally Posted by blueman2
Did just this and they confirmed that they have interline baggage with PR, and will go by PR rules for both number of bags (2) and weight of each bag (70lbs). They added notation to record. Thanks for the advice!

Blueman2
Anytime. Have a great trip!

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 16, 2020 at 6:18 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Another reason why I hope AS partners with PR for Frequent Fliers. Especially since PR will be starting service to SEA soon
blueman2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.