SEA to Monterey, CA (MRY) Announced

Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
booked SEA-SAN-MRY (GGU’d) and MRY-SEA (no U available) for 18 Jun
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:54 am

Flights leaving around noon seems like such a stupid time - for business folks this won't work because its the middle of the day, and for leisure folks it won't work because it eats up a vacation day, so you can't even make a good weekend trip out of it.

Besides people who are absolutely unable to make the drive down from SJC, who exactly is the target audience for such horribly timed flights - why wouldn't anyone simply get the cheaper fares to SJC early morning or the previous evening and drive down?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Flights leaving around noon seems like such a stupid time - for business folks this won't work because its the middle of the day, and for leisure folks it won't work because it eats up a vacation day, so you can't even make a good weekend trip out of it.

Besides people who are absolutely unable to make the drive down from SJC, who exactly is the target audience for such horribly timed flights - why wouldn't anyone simply get the cheaper fares to SJC early morning or the previous evening and drive down?
Meh, being a SAN based guy I usually burn a day travelling no matter where I am going, so the noon departure is actually kind of nice because I am not getting up pre-dawn for the 0630 rush out of SAN, and avoiding rush hour traffic for a 10 AM flight. Security and the lounge tend to be pretty empty as well.

Noon flights are awesome.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Meh, being a SAN based guy I usually burn a day travelling no matter where I am going, so the noon departure is actually kind of nice because I am not getting up pre-dawn for the 0630 rush out of SAN, and avoiding rush hour traffic for a 10 AM flight. Security and the lounge tend to be pretty empty as well.

Noon flights are awesome.
+1 for loving this flight time. I just got home from my annual MRY trip. I flew home MRY-SAN-PAE (yay miles! and yay no IRROPS @ PAE!) on Monday.

Agree with other posters that MRY has a great location, but it's not very pleasant going through security. And there is nothing after security.

It's hard to imagine AS would consider MRY co-terminal with SJC/SFO/OAK. No one else does.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I was on the inaugural 11 Feb 21 AS 3376 MRY SEA.

The flight was cancelled the day before due to the weather at SEA (snow), re-routed itineraries through SAN, but got a call a few hours later from the MRY staff that it was back on.

Gate 4 all decked out.

There were approximately 9 up front and 15 in the back.

Champagne and other beverages, hors d’oeuvres, and cookies to celebrate the new route.

Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach.

Last edited by boxo; Feb 22, 2021 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

dang, how come nobody bumped this thread a week or so before to let folks know it was back on the schedule? I could have easily claimed connectivity issues in the middle of 0900-1100 work Zoom, and driven down to SEA for the 1145 departure
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

dang, how come nobody bumped this thread a week or so before to let folks know it was back on the schedule? I could have easily claimed connectivity issues in the middle of 0900-1100 work Zoom, and driven down to SEA for the 1145 departure
Sorry! It didn't occur to me to look for a SEA MRY thread until yesterday.

Btw, I was also on the AS ABQ SAN flight a few years ago and there was no celebration on either end.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I was on it 2/15 as it was cancelled both 2/13 & 14 due to the storms. I have been waiting for it for 15+ years as I usually had to fly to SJC and rent a car. Thank you Alaska!!
ACBLtd, skyblue and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Klrduks
I was on it 2/15 as it was cancelled both 2/13 & 14 due to the storms. I have been waiting for it for 15+ years as I usually had to fly to SJC and rent a car. Thank you Alaska!!
I returned home on 2/16. We missed each other by a day.

I started out from SLC that day and had the same plane/crew all the way home.
beckoa and Klrduks like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Nice touch for the inaugural. I hope they do something similar for CVG. Maybe serve chili, goetta, Graeter's, bourbon, and beer. Choose any four.
boxo likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:18 pm

Monterey -- be careful in the wintertime, as it can be quite foggy on that side of the Salinas-Monterey highway, especially in the morning. Come to think of it, afternoon flights are better anyway, as the fog has usually burned off by noonish...
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:24 pm

Monterey -- be careful in the wintertime, as it can be quite foggy on that side of the Salinas-Monterey highway, especially in the morning. Come to think of it, afternoon flights are better anyway, as the fog has usually burned off by noonish...
Klrduks likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:42 pm

Summer is our foggiest season, the months of Gray May, June Gloom, No Sky July, Fogust, and occasionally, there's Fogtober. September is usually our warmest month, but generally a mild climate year round. Blue skies and sun this week, forecasted to be a high of 70F.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by boxo
Summer is our foggiest season, the months of Gray May, June Gloom, No Sky July, Fogust, and occasionally, there's Fogtober. September is usually our warmest month, but generally a mild climate year round. Blue skies and sun this week, forecasted to be a high of 70F.
Time for me to visit MRY!
Klrduks and boxo like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
I was also on this flight in 1D.
And was booked 2/14 for the return (canceled) and rebooked to 2/15 again in 1D. Sorry to "miss" you.
Klrduks likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.