Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mistake Calculating Partner Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)

Mistake Calculating Partner Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)

Old Jan 14, 20, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Mistake Calculating Partner Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)

Hi All, I searched some threads and haven't found any that help me yet. Alaska Airlines is telling me to qualify for 2020, 2019 partner bonuses do not count toward elite status.

I haven't found anything that tells me it shouldn’t, and their own website is not very clear.

An example of one of my flights was from BOS-HKG in First, which is 7,966 miles, plus total bonus of 19,915 for a grand total of 27,881 miles. However, Alaska is saying only 11,949 miles are qualifying?? This doesn't seem right and hoping someone can give me any advice.

None of the miles are from elite bonuses, since I didn’t have status with Alaska in 2019, or any year. I emailed Alaska Mileage Plan directly so not sure where to go next, if I am right.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP
They're correct that only the base mile plus 50% bonus miles are elite eligible. The other 200% bonus is not elite eligible.
Thirsty Go likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:01 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP
The 50% class of service bonus counts towards elite status. The 200% additional bonus does not.

Thirsty Go likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Very weird because before I took my final 2 flights Dec 30, AS elite progress bars (which I can't see anymore and didn't screenshot) had my previous posted flights accumulating toward elite WITH the bonuses. I could have sworn I did.

I searched board such as tpg, upgrd, etc and most imply that it does. Oh well... Surprised I couldn't find any AS true fine print on their Mileage Plan program. Do they have a detailed terms and conditions?
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
It's right there in the screenshot. Base miles and class of service bonus toward AS elite status. Ergo, additional and elite status bonuses do not.
Bellerina and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I believe it but it's handy to have the official T&C for the future. Thank you for responding all!
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:45 pm

I had a bug in my account that showed all partner RDM miles counting toward elite status. It was fixed a few days later but very confusing.
Thirsty Go and JPat like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Actually it's not ergo... AS neither specifies the bonuses are not EQM, and in their FAQ they only mention elite bonuses as being excluded.

And one can argue since the bonuses are only given based on class of service, they are in fact class of service bonus...it leaves a lot for interpretation and somewhat sloppy. I love their program and surprised to see such a grey area.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Thirsty Go View Post
Actually it's not ergo... AS neither specifies the bonuses are not EQM, and in their FAQ they only mention elite bonuses as being excluded.

And one can argue since the bonuses are only given based on class of service, they are in fact class of service bonus...it leaves a lot for interpretation and somewhat sloppy. I love their program and surprised to see such a grey area.
Given there is specifically a bonus called "Class of Service bonus" I don't think it's unclear at all.

Can you share/snapshot the section of the FAQ you are referring to? Are they referring to AS miles or Partner miles?

Also, I find the AS Calculator really helpful. The latest version (as noted in the Thread) is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPowxwOeFVVS1uO2jxICUMnwM26rh6Qd/view?usp=sharing
It calculates both the EQMs and RQMs for AS and Partners.
Thirsty Go likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
It says right in the screenshot “Base miles earned and class of service bonuses”. Your “additional bonus” doesn’t count. Says it right there in the screenshot. The screenshot tells you all the miles you earn don’t count as EQM. That doesn’t seem open to interpretation or “gray area”. Not all the miles count. End of story.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I am new to AS, so used to other airlines, or for that matter any frequent guest programs, to be extremely detailed, especially in recent years with FF programs gaining even more popularity with the CC games.

There is no debate what is in black and white. I will reiterate though my ergo rebuttal. The earning chart for CX on AS has 3 columns. The smaller print (not fine print IMHO) references "base miles earned" AND "class of service bonusES". Note that bonuses is plural, and makes no mention of additional bonus. Since the add't bonus applies ONLY to class of service, it can be logical to conclude that it IS EQM.

Someone else mentioned there was a glitch in the progress bar. I saw my previous flights for weeks having ALL bonuses as EQM. All my flights credited to AS were in Dec, so there was no other reference for me to go by, and it was my FIRST time utilizing AS program.

This forum doesnt allow photos or link for new users. The page where they specify elite bonus does NOT qualify is titled "What are the benefits of Alaska Airlines elite status? I am new to Flyer Talk and not sure why the bitterness over a simple question and a (fun) debate. SMH.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:58 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I have to admit when I first started getting into AS miles, I too thought that the Additional Bonus column also counted toward EQM. It's not the most obvious thing (and it's not stated Additional Bonuses don't qualify for EQM). I think part of the reason for this is there aren't any Additional Bonuses for flying AS. So, there isn't specific language per se. But, indeed it is just the base miles and COS bonus that apply toward EQM. So, you're progress bar may have displayed incorrectly (accidentally). As you get to know the AS program, you will learn the IT department definitely has some quirks... and sputters... and flubs. Hopefully, at some point they will provide an advantage to make up for this one.
PlowJockey likes this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 14, 20 at 7:20 pm
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
This forum doesnt allow photos or link for new users. The page where they specify elite bonus does NOT qualify is titled "What are the benefits of Alaska Airlines elite status? I am new to Flyer Talk and not sure why the bitterness over a simple question and a (fun) debate. SMH.
Apologies - I didn't realize you couldn't link. You asked a question, we answered it (many times). Not sure why you think there is bitterness.

Originally Posted by DrAlex View Post
I have to admit when I first started getting into AS miles, I too thought that the Additional Bonus column also counted toward EQM. It's not the most obvious thing (and it's not stated Additional Bonuses don't qualify for EQM).
Interesting. I'm new to the FF as of 2018 and flew my first BA F/J flights as part of MVP program last year and I guess I thought this was pretty obvious. Maybe a better assumption to take with the airlines is that if it doesn't specifically say something is included, it probably isn't. Especially when it would benefit the flyer.

There doesn't seem to be any point to continuing this conversation as we have answered the question.
Calculon and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
class of service bonus...it leaves a lot for interpretation
How can "class of service bonus" (literally what it is called) possibly leave anything to interpretation?
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:39 pm

How is this complicated?

You have:

- Base miles
- Class of Service Bonus
- Additional Bonus
- Elite Bonus

Only Base Miles and Class of Service Bonus count towards status qualification. Therefore, Additional Bonus and Elite Bonus (which are not Base Miles or Class of Service Bonus) do not count.

I don't see how it could be any clearer.

Furthermore, there would be no purpose into splitting CoS and Additional bonuses into different columns if they both counted for status -- they would be identical.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: