Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mistake Calculating Partner Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake Calculating Partner Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
How can "class of service bonus" (literally what it is called) possibly leave anything to interpretation?

he/she means plural. Bonus(es)
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thirsty Go
There is no debate what is in black and white. I will reiterate though my ergo rebuttal. The earning chart for CX on AS has 3 columns. The smaller print (not fine print IMHO) references "base miles earned" AND "class of service bonusES". Note that bonuses is plural, and makes no mention of additional bonus. Since the add't bonus applies ONLY to class of service, it can be logical to conclude that it IS EQM.
From the BA chart, F class earns a 200% Class of Service bonus, A class earns a 150% Class of Service bonus, J, D & C earns a 150% Class of Services bonus... Collectively, these bonusES apply to the specific fare class purchased and are also Elite Qualifying Miles.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jan 14, 2020 at 10:27 pm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Since you have been with many other programs, can u name one that can give 27000 status miles for one segment bos hkg?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Finally I can post after 24 hours restriction as a new user. For all those that helped, flyingstudent, rad, dralex, bellerina, etc.. Thank you very much! For others who are either, snotty, sarcastic, snide, lighten up a little! There is NO question AS terms on this is not perfectly clear. Yes, I suspected the right answer, but there has been many times, particularly in FF, that too good to be true, is TRUE, and specifically with promos and partnerships, things can be more nuanced.

And to pbd--- AS is the example. Miles for BA flights-- they have insane EQM possibilities! I suppose if AS BA chart was published in error, then retracted, anyone who took advantage of it and expected it to be honored would be obviously wrong?-- after all, 300% EQM and 500% RDM looks like a typo, but it isn't.

If AS can screw up with a system glitch that clearly showed my flights + all bonuses counted, then my hopeful inquiry was spot on.
This is a hobby to most, why stress out even if my question was obvious? There was nothing personal, nor did I even criticize Alaska Airlines.

Now its the end of story and no point to continue this conversation. (examples)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally I can post after 24 hours restriction as a new user. For all those that helped, flyingstudent, rad, dralex, bellerina, etc.. Thank you very much! For others who are either, snotty, sarcastic, snide, lighten up a little! There is NO question AS terms on this is not perfectly clear. Yes, I suspected the right answer, but there has been many times, particularly in FF, that too good to be true, is TRUE, and specifically with promos and partnerships, things can be more nuanced.

And to pbd--- AS is the example. Miles for BA flights-- they have insane EQM possibilities! I suppose if AS BA chart was published in error, then retracted, anyone who took advantage of it and expected it to be honored would be obviously wrong?-- after all, 300% EQM and 500% RDM looks like a typo, but it isn't.

If AS can screw up with a system glitch that clearly showed my flights + all bonuses counted, then my hopeful inquiry was spot on.
This is a hobby to most, why stress out even if my question was obvious? There was nothing personal, nor did I even criticize Alaska Airlines.

Now its the end of story and no point to continue this conversation. (examples)
Nowhere does it say base + all bonuses count towards qualifying. It says base plus class of service bonuses count. And, there is a column in the chart labeled "class of service". This is completely clear. The fact that you read "class of service" and translated that to "all" in your mind is on you. The terms could not be more clear; you just misread them.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, i know I read it and that was my interpretation. I didn't misread, I questioned, and rather civil.

Now i know why I haven't been on boards in ages. Just not worth ANY aggravation interacting with who knows what in who knows what mood, who knows where, with who knows what background, in who know if they are human or an animal.

I was going to post Alaska's very professional, helpful, and elegant response I just received today. However, I've been met with too many short, rude, or unfreindly folks, especially considering I receiver a dozen or so responses. Sorry for the few that helped and were civil, and friendly.

If there are closed BB out there, I'll try to find them . These public discourses are a mess with miserable characters. It's not just 5%, it seems more like 30% or more, and that's too much for my personal time. I'd rather have a few blatant profanities than surrounded by troops of wise-*sses.

Heaven forbid there's a respectable disagreement at a personality or "influencer".... Watch out for the mob.

Again thanks to those that were nice.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, i know I read it and that was my interpretation. I didn't misread, I questioned, and rather civil.

Now i know why I haven't been on boards in ages. Just not worth ANY aggravation interacting with who knows what in who knows what mood, who knows where, with who knows what background, in who know if they are human or an animal.

I was going to post Alaska's very professional, helpful, and elegant response I just received today. However, I've been met with too many short, rude, or unfreindly folks, especially considering I receiver a dozen or so responses. Sorry for the few that helped and were civil, and friendly.

If there are closed BB out there, I'll try to find them . These public discourses are a mess with miserable characters. It's not just 5%, it seems more like 30% or more, and that's too much for my personal time. I'd rather have a few blatant profanities than surrounded by troops of wise-*sses.

Heaven forbid there's a respectable disagreement at a personality or "influencer".... Watch out for the mob.

Again thanks to those that were nice.
There is no mob.

You wrote: If AS can screw up with a system glitch that clearly showed my flights + all bonuses counted.

People are just pointing out that nowhere does Alaska say that "all bonuses" count. They say that "class of service bonuses" count. "All" is not the same as "Class of service". I don't know what else to tell you. You are just wrong here. This is not a personal attack (or really any attack). It's just pointing out that your statement is factually incorrect.
jerry a. laska and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:38 am
Original Poster

I don't mind being wrong. There is snarky tone in some out there. That's all. Leave a sourness that is not needed.

It's becoming more common. Anyhow, my mob comment here was misplaced, though perusing other threads, it was evident.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:59 am

No. I ask if there is any example of programs for earning 27000 miles beside Alaska. There is no doubt that Alaska is generous and yet you are bashing Alaska.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:02 am

You can post all flight activity last yeAr and we decode it for u.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Please do tell me how I bashed AS? I didn't intend to, just sought advice if I was correct, and only assumed so based on seeing the progress bar in Dec that included all bonuses for EQM.

If it weren't for the glitchy progress graphic, I wouldn't have asked.

Nevertheless, I flew AS once a few years ago ANC-HNL, and loved them. Since I had partner flights in 2019, switching my transcon to AS this year.

Sure their F product isnt great, buts it is brand new, comfortable chair, and hoping the crew is consistently 'nicer' than AA, UA. For me, the value of Mileage Plan is well worth not having flatbeds (daytime flights so I work much of it)

I will post AS response later on. Super impressed with their email. Rare for a company to provide such a detailed response for a non-service related matter that was not their fault, seeking clarification, and in neither form or template! That is impressive enough, and I value that, far more than flatbeds with dirty dinosaurs (the plane, not crew!) or walking into a lions den of attitude of another airlines 321s.

My first AS transcon flight will be next month.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Instead of ratholing into an argument now that the chart is better understood, how about just “Welcome, and we’re glad you’re here”?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Here is the official response from Alaska Air. Regardless of any misunderstanding, I thought their response was impressive-- thorough, polite, and informative. It is rare for any airline to provide such a personalized response, and timely too! There were yet more emails in this exchanged and I am very surprised, and pleased, at the level of engagement with their customers

FROM ALASKA CUSTOMER CARE: (omitted personal details)

I am sorry for the confusion as I think we are talking about two different things.

There are two things that go towards you earning status. 1-base miles flown and 2-class of service bonus. Click on this link for further information regarding which fare classes qualify when traveling on Alaska:https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

You are correct that when you fly on Alaska or any of our partners, these miles flown are going towards your status. When you are flying on Alaska as an elite member, these bonus earned for having status would be credited to your spending bucket and do NOT go towards status.

When you fly on an eligible flight on any of our partners, the base miles and any class of service you earned from them, go into your elite bucket toward your status.

If you are an elite member any of your elite bonuses are earned only when you fly on Alaska and do not count towards your status. The bonus miles go into your spending bucket.

I reviewed your account again and did verify that you flew, xx,059 miles on our partners and nothing on Alaska. These miles are what made you an MVP. You would have had to have flown xx,000 miles in order to become a ;higher level'.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Interesting that you earned MVP and didn't do any Alaska flying whatsoever.. what benefit are you trying to get?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
You're not the only person who's been tripped up or confused regarding the various tiers of bonuses, I'd say its actually a somewhat common misconception among those new to the mileage game, or at least new to Alaska Airlines version of it.

As for what you perceived as hostility or aggression on some of the responses here... sometimes a response which could be interpreted as curt might have only been meant to be succinct by it's author. Likewise some of these responses may have mistaken your genuine curiosity and questions as thinly veiled complaints, which in turn may have cause them to actually respond curtly... the key is to not take it too personally. We're all just disembodied floating text on each other's screens.

Anyway, regardless, welcome aboard!
JacksonFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.