Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75k change/cancel fees for bookings with non-status passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I have 75k, but am making a booking where myself and a friend (without status) will be on the same reservation. How does the change/cancel fee work if I need to change the reservation? Can I make changes/cancellations for both of us for free, or is it prorated to only give me free changes myself and would charge for the friend?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
If this is a cash ticket, only you will get free change / cancellation. They would be charged.

if you are using points, then you can change / cancel both for free.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Its a change fee per person, with you being exempt from the fee. The only exception is if you are booking it with your miles, in that case your fee exemption applies to everyone in the reservation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegingninj
If this is a cash ticket, only you will get free change / cancellation. They would be charged.

if you are using points, then you can change / cancel both for free.
Thanks. That makes sense and good to know.
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
On a paid ticket, the change/cancel fee is only waived for you

If you're using your own miles for both tickets, the change/cancel fee is waived for both of you.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The way I think of it for revenue is this... you're making one reservation, but you still get two tickets. The fee waiver applies for TICKETS in your name, not RESERVATIONS.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
If I booked 2 tickets with my miles(I am MVPG now, but not when booking) but I am not flying, can I change/cancel them for free?

Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by freed0m
If I booked 2 tickets with my miles(I am MVPG now, but not when booking) but I am not flying, can I change/cancel them for free?

Thanks.
Yes, change fees would be waived if they came from your account.

May require a call if the status hasn't updated on the res.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes, change fees would be waived if they came from your account.

May require a call if the status hasn't updated on the res.

Thanks. Status has been updated. Just in case, I have no intention to change or cancel them.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
The way I think of it for revenue is this... you're making one reservation, but you still get two tickets. The fee waiver applies for TICKETS in your name, not RESERVATIONS.
An exception: SDC fees are waived for travel companions (but not on award tickets when not traveling with a Gold/75K). So if it's a change that an SDC could accommodate, that's an option to save the change fee.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
An exception: SDC fees are waived for travel companions (but not on award tickets when not traveling with a Gold/75K). So if it's a change that an SDC could accommodate, that's an option to save the change fee.
Yes, if on the same PNR. Split PNR's; non-status pax assessed SDC fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.