Wiki Posts
Search

JFK how early to arrive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
JFK how early to arrive

Flight departs 1130am MVP only no precheck. How early to arrive? Not sure how busy security is at that hour
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:53 pm

Other airlines that use Terminal 7 include British Airways, LOT, Iberia, Ukraine, ANA All Nippon. Most of them depart in the late afternoon or early evening. On the other hand, sometimes the TSA will adjust and reduce staffing when there are fewer passengers. In general, arriving in the terminal 90 minutes before departure is enough time except perhaps at airports which are madhouses. T7 is not such an airport terminal. I don't have experience with T7 at 10 am or 10:30 am. I do have experience with it around 7 am and around 5 pm.

I can say that around 5 pm, T7 can be slow even for precheck because it's precheck lite.

If one worries a lot, get to T7 2 hours or 1 hour 45 minutes ahead of time. If one lives dangerously, get to T7 75 minutes ahead of time. T7 in the late afternoon is equivalent to SEA in the morning. T7 in the morning is equivalent to SEA around 8 pm. As a comparison, SJC San Jose is easy peasy and wouldn't need 60 minutes if that helps you assess my judgment.

Last edited by A318neo; Jan 13, 2020 at 1:58 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by boycruz
Flight departs 1130am MVP only no precheck. How early to arrive? Not sure how busy security is at that hour
There is no PreCheck at this Terminal so you'll have to go in the line with everyone else. I've taken flights in both the early afternoon and early evening and there has always been a line. I was just there last week arriving just before 11 am and it took me about 20-25 minutes to get through (I have PreCheck so I did get to go through the "faster" scanner with my shoes on). I'd suggest arriving at least 90 minutes beforehand but it really depends on if there are other International flights leaving around that time or earlier as it gets crowded and they sometimes only still operate just one lane. Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Planning 2 hours before but wasnt sure
if more than that necessary
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
Planning 2 hours before but wasnt sure
if more than that necessary
2 hours is fine. More than 2 hours is not necessary. You'll have plenty of time with extra time to spare. If there's an unexpected delay at security, you'll still make it for your flight.

Do know that Terminal 7 is a bit lacking in places to eat. Might even bring some food, such as potato chips, nuts, fruit, sandwich, etc.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by A318neo
2 hours is fine. More than 2 hours is not necessary. You'll have plenty of time with extra time to spare. If there's an unexpected delay at security, you'll still make it for your flight.

Do know that Terminal 7 is a bit lacking in places to eat. Might even bring some food, such as potato chips, nuts, fruit, sandwich, etc.
There are more food at T7 now, including hot options.

For AS flights, I'd generally arrive 15 minutes prior to boarding. I would not advise this to the OP, however. For me, no checked luggage and I use the TSA Pre-lite line (no TSA Pre at T7).I still find myself waiting around.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
There are more food at T7 now, including hot options.

For AS flights, I'd generally arrive 15 minutes prior to boarding. I would not advise this to the OP, however. For me, no checked luggage and I use the TSA Pre-lite line (no TSA Pre at T7).I still find myself waiting around.
15 minutes before boarding (which would be about 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time) is too close for T7 precheck. I was there a month ago at around 5 pm. The wait was well over 15 minutes. 25 minutes is ok as long as it's ok if you don't mind missing the beginning of board (though with 25 minutes, you might make it before the beginning of boarding).

Just guessing, my wait times at JFK T7 precheck are (estimated)
early Dec 2019 / 5 pm / 20-25 minutes
Oct 2019 / 5 pm / 10 minutes
Sept 2019 / 6:30 am / 5 minutes
other dates / mostly around 5 pm / 10 minutes is common
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

9am. 10 min wait today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.