Door opens on San Jose flight headed to San Diego

Old Jan 12, 20, 9:18 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,270
Post Door opens on San Jose flight headed to San Diego

SAN JOSE (KRON) — A flight from the Bay Area to Southern California had to quickly turn around to a mechanical issue.

Alaska Sky West flight 3467 from San Jose to San Diego had to turn around on Sunday because the aircraft’s door opened, according to San Jose International Airport.

The plane returned safely to San Jose and no injuries were reported.
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-to-san-diego/

Looking at Flight Aware, original departure was at 4:53pm and return to SJC at 5:37pm. Flight departed again for SAN at 6:38pm.
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:22 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 86,323
Would that be a cargo door?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:27 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,270
Not enough info in the article to say. Maybe they'll be an update in the next few hours.
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,727
I'm not sure if this is an update, but:

San Jose International Airport originally reported that a door had opened, but a spokesperson with Alaska Airlines later determined there was no issue with the aircraft door.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,357
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-to-san-diego/

Looking at Flight Aware, original departure was at 4:53pm and return to SJC at 5:37pm. Flight departed again for SAN at 6:38pm.
Article has been updated. Door did not open. It's basically impossible: https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/exits/
MSPeconomist likes this.
flytoeat is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 344
Already updated to indicate a faulty sensor.
twitch76 is online now  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:37 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 86,323
That's better. Aircraft doors with pressurized cabins can't open in flight.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:50 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,270
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I'm not sure if this is an update, but:

San Jose International Airport originally reported that a door had opened, but a spokesperson with Alaska Airlines later determined there was no issue with the aircraft door.
Yes, indeed that was an update from the original article.
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:50 pm
  #9  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SAN
Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's better. Aircraft doors with pressurized cabins can't open in flight.
Not to be pedantic (but I'm gonna do it anyways)...

The E175 cabin doors can't be opened in flight. Plenty of aircraft have doors that can be opened while pressurized. 737 exit row doors come to mind, which is why they have electrically controlled latches to keep passengers from opening them in flight.
Legend717 and jjmadison like this.
navydevildoc is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Not to be pedantic (but I'm gonna do it anyways)...

The E175 cabin doors can't be opened in flight. Plenty of aircraft have doors that can be opened while pressurized. 737 exit row doors come to mind, which is why they have electrically controlled latches to keep passengers from opening them in flight.
I actually don't find that particularly pedantic.
You're quite right; plug-style doors are practically impossible to open inflight, but there are LOTS of airliner doors that aren't plug style.
Legend717 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:35 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,454
Glad everyone is ok.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:09 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,629
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Not to be pedantic (but I'm gonna do it anyways)...

The E175 cabin doors can't be opened in flight. Plenty of aircraft have doors that can be opened while pressurized. 737 exit row doors come to mind, which is why they have electrically controlled latches to keep passengers from opening them in flight.
I think it would be next to impossible to open a 737 overwing exit in flight. One would have to fight the forces to pull the door inside the plane before discarding it out of the window.
cmd320 is online now  
Old Jan 13, 20, 11:57 am
  #13  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SAN
Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I think it would be next to impossible to open a 737 overwing exit in flight. One would have to fight the forces to pull the door inside the plane before discarding it out of the window.
They are spring loaded and pop outward. Skip to minute 6 of this video for a real life demo on a 737-800.

navydevildoc is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:03 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,830
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Yes, indeed that was an update from the original article.
Perhaps a thread title update is in order.
jerry305 likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:32 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,629
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
They are spring loaded and pop outward. Skip to minute 6 of this video for a real life demo on a 737-800.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AReC2P5sK8
Interesting, I had no idea. I always just assumed it was the same as the 757 where the door is just a plug and is removed entirely for an evacuation. That honestly make me feel a bit less comfortable sitting in the exit row on an NG.
cmd320 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: