Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Just got a check-in reminder for a flight I cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:04 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

This is a new one for me. I had a flight booked for tomorrow that I cancelled months ago. I got an email reminder from Alaska just now saying it was time to check in for that flight. Of course I couldn't, since the reservation was cancelled long ago, and my last name + confirmation code wouldn't pull up the flight details.

When I asked a Twitter rep to confirm it really was cancelled they said it looks like the confirmation code is actually valid, but for a different reservation and my email was still attached to it. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Has anyone ever had this happen before?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by missamo80
This is a new one for me. I had a flight booked for tomorrow that I cancelled months ago. I got an email reminder from Alaska just now saying it was time to check in for that flight. Of course I couldn't, since the reservation was cancelled long ago, and my last name + confirmation code wouldn't pull up the flight details.

When I asked a Twitter rep to confirm it really was cancelled they said it looks like the confirmation code is actually valid, but for a different reservation and my email was still attached to it. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Has anyone ever had this happen before?
Yep - freaked out thinking I forgot to cancel but AS couldn't find the res either. Assumed it was just some IT bug. Weird that they'd reassigned the same confirmation number and not updated the email though, and that it would still send it for the same date/time of your old flight? I would assume that's not actually what happened and that your reservation was somehow never purged from reminder email queue.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This happens to me all the time.

I got a "your flight has been canceled" notification for a flight that I was tracking (I was booked on a different flight between the same airports). That scared me until I realized that the flight numbers didn't match.
missamo80 and navydevildoc like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
+1

Had 20-30 of these “ghost reservation” notifications over the course of 2019.

I’m a regular user of the MVPG free cancellations, so have just gotten used to the app, or AS emails, or both, telling me it was time to board, or there was a flight issue, long after I’ve canceled. Used to stress me out thinking I’d forgot to cancel, but I’ve gotten used to it.
missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Ill give you one better....i cancelled a day trip to LA within 24 hours of departure......i received an email the next day saying "sorry for not being able to accommodate you in Premium Class" due to airbus swap. I got a free $25 dollar voucher code for a flight i never even took!
jjmadison, missamo80, LHG and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Ill give you one better....i cancelled a day trip to LA within 24 hours of departure......i received an email the next day saying "sorry for not being able to accommodate you in Premium Class" due to airbus swap. I got a free $25 dollar voucher code for a flight i never even took!
Just imagine if there was a mechanical delay
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just imagine if there was a mechanical delay
Yea....nothing.....
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Yep, I've had this happen twice.
Called the reservations folks and they simply apologized for the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.