FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Just got a check-in reminder for a flight I cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2003577-just-got-check-reminder-flight-i-cancelled.html)

missamo80 Jan 9, 2020 4:04 pm

Just got a check-in reminder for a flight I cancelled

This is a new one for me. I had a flight booked for tomorrow that I cancelled months ago. I got an email reminder from Alaska just now saying it was time to check in for that flight. Of course I couldn't, since the reservation was cancelled long ago, and my last name + confirmation code wouldn't pull up the flight details.

When I asked a Twitter rep to confirm it really was cancelled they said it looks like the confirmation code is actually valid, but for a different reservation and my email was still attached to it. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Has anyone ever had this happen before?

be_rettSEA Jan 9, 2020 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 31930417)
This is a new one for me. I had a flight booked for tomorrow that I cancelled months ago. I got an email reminder from Alaska just now saying it was time to check in for that flight. Of course I couldn't, since the reservation was cancelled long ago, and my last name + confirmation code wouldn't pull up the flight details.

When I asked a Twitter rep to confirm it really was cancelled they said it looks like the confirmation code is actually valid, but for a different reservation and my email was still attached to it. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Yep - freaked out thinking I forgot to cancel but AS couldn't find the res either. Assumed it was just some IT bug. Weird that they'd reassigned the same confirmation number and not updated the email though, and that it would still send it for the same date/time of your old flight? I would assume that's not actually what happened and that your reservation was somehow never purged from reminder email queue.

VegasGambler Jan 9, 2020 5:10 pm

This happens to me all the time.

I got a "your flight has been canceled" notification for a flight that I was tracking (I was booked on a different flight between the same airports). That scared me until I realized that the flight numbers didn't match.

jjmadison Jan 9, 2020 5:22 pm

+1

Had 20-30 of these “ghost reservation” notifications over the course of 2019.

I’m a regular user of the MVPG free cancellations, so have just gotten used to the app, or AS emails, or both, telling me it was time to board, or there was a flight issue, long after I’ve canceled. Used to stress me out thinking I’d forgot to cancel, but I’ve gotten used to it.

isaac.chambers Jan 9, 2020 6:06 pm

Ill give you one better....i cancelled a day trip to LA within 24 hours of departure......i received an email the next day saying "sorry for not being able to accommodate you in Premium Class" due to airbus swap. I got a free $25 dollar voucher code for a flight i never even took!

beckoa Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers (Post 31930775)
Ill give you one better....i cancelled a day trip to LA within 24 hours of departure......i received an email the next day saying "sorry for not being able to accommodate you in Premium Class" due to airbus swap. I got a free $25 dollar voucher code for a flight i never even took!

Just imagine if there was a mechanical delay :D

isaac.chambers Jan 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 31938456)
Just imagine if there was a mechanical delay :D

Yea....nothing.....

ralph4878 Jan 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Yep, I've had this happen twice.
Called the reservations folks and they simply apologized for the confusion.