Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska First Class Baggage Fiasco 2x70lbs vs 2x50lbs

Alaska First Class Baggage Fiasco 2x70lbs vs 2x50lbs

Old Jan 9, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
Wouldn't basic economy be an elite tax for any airline?
I interpret that comment as saying that not having an elite tax (prior to the Saver rollout) was a potential draw for AS. But now they're no better than their competitors along that dimension, and potentially much worse along several other dimensions (at least for the OP).
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by currentjer View Post
Two, for all of the rhetoric behind the strength of AS' partner network, AS is incredibly out of synch with its partners - consistent baggage rules are part of any partner through-fare and even if the agents had problems accessing the tickets, AS could have easily offered 2x70 for first class to avoid being out of synch and this problem in the first place.
The AF partnership ended almost two years ago. The only think left is a ticketing and baggage interline agreement (and maybe codeshares for AF, I dunno about that).
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by milypan View Post
I interpret that comment as saying that not having an elite tax (prior to the Saver rollout) was a potential draw for AS. But now they're no better than their competitors along that dimension, and potentially much worse along several other dimensions (at least for the OP).
Reminder that most other US carriers have multiple "elite taxes" where earning on flights is explicitly tied to revenue and/or a minimum spend requirement, plus paying to get out of basic economy. While AS has added that last component, there's still no min spend requirement for any elite level, and still 1 mile flown = 1 mile earned (at least on AS metal). I still see that as "better", though wish their route network was larger.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of which has anything to do with OP's baggage allowance issue.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
AS seems to be the only US carrier with asinine allowance of 2x25kg for premium classes.
Some other US low cost carriers with an "asinine allowance":

https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airpo...ge-information

Checked bags exceeding 62" (157.48 cm) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) or 50 pounds (22.68 kg) will also incur a fee.
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-CUSTOMER-BAGS

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Full details.
https://www.spirit.com/optional-services

Overweight or Oversized Baggage

Per Bag
41 – 50 lbs. (18 – 23 kg) + $35
Wow, the "asinine" is everywhere.

Anyways, I agree with filing the DOT complaint, AS needs to get details like this right- if your ticket requires them to transport for no additional fee, that's how it goes, regardless of their luggage policies on their tickets.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 9, 20 at 2:02 pm
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Some other US low cost carriers with an "asinine allowance":

https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airpo...ge-information

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-CUSTOMER-BAGS

https://www.spirit.com/optional-services

Wow, the "asinine" is everywhere.

Anyways, I agree with filing the DOT complaint, AS needs to get details like this right- if your ticket requires them to transport for no additional fee, that's how it goes, regardless of their luggage policies on their tickets.
I said premium classes in my OP. Other than Jetblue Mint which is available on very very few routes, these airlines do not have a premium cabin. Alaska can easily make this change for their first class cabin baggage allowance to 2x70lbs if they really want to compete against the US3 - and easily avoid baggage challenges like mine.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:33 pm

Your situation has nothing to do with AS baggage allowances. Your allowance is whatever's printed on your ticket. You were asked to pay for something that was within your allowance. This is, unfortunately, not a particularly uncommon problem across airlines. The solution is:

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Ask for a refund.
Often1 and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
if they really want to compete against the US3
AS is an LCC, like WN, B6 and NK. The US3 aren't.

The US3 are full alliance members (which requires some coordination of policies across the alliance). AS isn't.

The US 3 also don't serve much of the namesake state for Alaska Airlines, which also adds some complexity.
JacksonFlyer likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 9, 20 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 9, 20, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I said premium classes in my OP. Other than Jetblue Mint which is available on very very few routes, these airlines do not have a premium cabin. Alaska can easily make this change for their first class cabin baggage allowance to 2x70lbs if they really want to compete against the US3 - and easily avoid baggage challenges like mine.
Your issue has a very simple solution: request a refund. Contrary to the title of this thread, it hardly constitutes a fiasco. While somewhat irritating, in the world of travel issues this is very minor, and isnt widespread.

Let us know how they respond, though. At this point, thats all Im curious about.
Old Jan 9, 20, 4:53 pm

AS is an LCC, like WN, B6 and NK. The US3 aren't.

The US3 are full alliance members (which requires some coordination of policies across the alliance). AS isn't.

The US 3 also don't serve much of the namesake state for Alaska Airlines, which also adds some complexity.
Doesn't an airline need to actually be low cost to qualify as a LCC?

Alaska is no cheaper than any other airline. The only true LCC in the US is Spirit.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is likely far less to this than is being made of it. The fact that AS can't get it right on a DOT rule which dates to 2011 is disturbing, but it's not a "fiasco".

Just request the refund and, if you are motivated, file a DOT complaint.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't an airline need to actually be low cost to qualify as a LCC?

"Low cost" is properly low CASM. AS makes their bones by having lower CASM than the US3. Doesn't mean they charge lower fares, the profit is when CASM < RASM. If you're not going to offer fancy seats in a low-density domestic F cabin (ahem), or international business class on longhaul to drive RASM, you'd better be able to keep costs down. LCC isn't referring to your cost as a buyer of airfare, it's talking about the airline's cost.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:49 pm

[/size]

"Low cost" is properly low CASM. AS makes their bones by having lower CASM than the US3. Doesn't mean they charge lower fares, the profit is when CASM < RASM. If you're not going to offer fancy seats in a low-density domestic F cabin, or international business class on loonghaul to drive RASM (ahem), you'd better be able to keep costs down. LCC isn't referring to your cost as a buyer of airfare, it's talking about the airline's cost.
This definition seems a bit ridiculous?

Common english and the principle of least surprise would suggest that a "low cost carrier" provides low costs to the customers, not one that has low costs for themselves, charges the customers the same amount, and keeps the differences as extra profit.
Old Jan 9, 20, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This definition seems a bit ridiculous?
I refer you to pages 13 and 25 of the latest ALK investor presentation.

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static...b-d35567eece88

Low cost carrier is indeed an industry term, and "cost" refers to airline cost, not yours as a ticket buyer. Your definition would exclude WN. The industry would vigorously disagree with you if you tried to pass off WN as a full service carrier ala the US3 just because their ticket prices match US3 prices on the same route.
Old Jan 9, 20, 6:57 pm

I refer you to pages 13 and 25 of the latest ALK investor presentation.

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static...b-d35567eece88

Low cost carrier is indeed an industry term, and "cost" refers to airline cost, not yours as a ticket buyer. Your definition would exclude WN. The industry would vigorously disagree with you if you tried to pass off WN as a full service carrier ala the US3 just because their ticket prices match US3 prices on the same route.
Lol no WN is a high price, no service carrier I do remember the good old days when they were cheap and 16 segments got you a free flight anywhere. Still no service but you got what you paid for.

Ok fair enough if it's an industry term.
bmvaughn likes this.

Search this Thread