Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Penalty for booking more than 2 people at the same time?

Old Jan 5, 20, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I just tried booking a flight for 4 people. If I do that, the price is $234 per ticket.
If I book the same flights as 2 sets of 2, it's only $194 per ticket. Both tickets are confirmed, and $194 is still available for new searches.

Is this normal? I was able to get around it this time, but just curious if this is common, as sometimes I book tickets that must all be on the same reservations (e.g. kids)
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Yes, normal and intentional by Alaska. If there were two R class tickets available, that would mean when you tried to book four, all four were at the next higher fare class. You’ll see this 99% of the time when booking F tickets as there are rarely more than two seats available per fare class. Also happens in coach, just not quite as often.
Kathy_marie likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. My issue is the inventory is there. There are plenty of tickets at the cheaper price (at least 5 from my searches), but if I try to book more than 2 in a single transaction it increases the per ticket price for the entire reservation.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison View Post
Yes, normal and intentional by Alaska. If there were two R class tickets available, that would mean when you tried to book four, all four were at the next higher fare class.
+1

What flight and dates? One of us can check EF for you and confirm the published inventory...
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I've already booked my 4 tickets using two separate reservations, so no need to check for me thanks. I was aware of pricing all tickets at the higher price if inventory is insufficient for the lowest fare, which is why I was surprised to find I could book two sets of tickets at the lower price, but was unable to book them on the same reservation.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
AS uses caching and so this only works if you book quickly.

(Works on awards too, if you ever need two saver tickets but they only are offering one ;-)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: