Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Philipines Airlines (PR) Another Partner for Chester to Nab?

Old Jan 5, 20, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry

OK, so AS may be Asian-heavy with partners, but alliance-free Philippine Airlines is starting MNL-SEA 3 weekly on May 3, 2020. I'm sure the Mileage Plan staff are on top of that one. PR MNL-SEA Really, I'm surprised DL hasn't grabbed this earlier since SEA is supposed to be a gateway to the Pacific.

Horrible Arrival time, though I suppose it could be good for connections
PR128 MNL2245 – 1945SEA 350 137
PR129 SEA2305 – 0335+1MNL 350 137
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS DL
The 1945 arrival into SEA may be problematic. However, the arrival and departure times at MNL are good for connections as is the departure time in SEA.

I suspect the route will be somewhat low yield, high traffic.

I wonder if this would be better for connections?
Real schedule
PR128 MNL2245 – 1945 SEA 350 137
PR129 SEA2305 – 0335+1MNL 350 137

Modified
PR128 MNL2000 – 1700 SEA 350 137
PR129 SEA2335 – 0405+1MNL 350 137

However, this potentially results about 3 hours of less aircraft utilization.

Airlines I'd like to see come to SEA include Finnair, Scandinavian (used to fly to SEA for decades), China Airlines (used to fly to SEA), Qantas, Swiss.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 5, 20 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
PAL begins service to Seattle

Just wondering if Alaska might become a partner. It will be nice to go non-stop SEA to MNL
Old Jan 6, 20, 11:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
It would also be great since PR has nice fares. Looking for a new $/EQM sweet spot after they nerfed Qantas.
Old Jan 6, 20, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
The 1945 arrival into SEA may be problematic. However, the arrival and departure times at MNL are good for connections as is the departure time in SEA.
Presumably pax who connect inbound are going to want to connect outbound and not take a forced overnight. I suspect the reality is PR isn't planning on flowing pax on connecting itineraries, especially if they can get some good times on the MNL side.
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:46 pm

Hi -

745PM is not so bad for arriving into Seattle. There are a lot of 1000PM departures to OR/WA cities. Also some redeye flights to Midcon/Transcon destinations a little later.

Finally, a lot of arrivals into SEA between 800-900PM from all over the AS network.
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm assuming PR is working more O/D from the USA, specifically the WC, due to the population of the Filipino community, I highly doubt they are trying to get connecting traffic from AS outstations. I think Chicago and Las Vegas are the two most populated communities not on a seaboard, and considering the biggest ones are LA/SF/Hawaii, I don't see this being particularly useful by partnering with AS. Unless they really want to become a gateway for Asia, but that is speculative with the amount of airlines in Asia that offer more as is.

Oh and they already fly to Las Vegas.
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
PR has a tie in with Celebrity Cruise Lines, A friend of mine just had a series of snafus on a RT on PR to Manila and Singapore. He described the experience as ‘torture’ and would not recommend them.
He also sought out a FF program to shoot the miles earned into for credit but concluded that his flying needs would not be met.
AS in a tie up might be useful but, given the press reports and personal experience noted here, I would be highly reluctant to engage their services.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:08 am
Was verbyournoun

PR is by far the worst airline I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to fly with. I have family in the Philippines so a direct flight seemed optimal when they first launched but I’d rather be stranded in Changi or HKG for a day than fly PR every again. Atrocious customer service, subpar hard product, and inflexible scheduling despite purchasing flexible fares.

In short, this is not an airline AS or any other American carrier should want to partner with.
Old Jan 9, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K, Avianca, Etihad
Originally Posted by verbyournoun View Post
PR is by far the worst airline I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to fly with. I have family in the Philippines so a direct flight seemed optimal when they first launched but I’d rather be stranded in Changi or HKG for a day than fly PR every again. Atrocious customer service, subpar hard product, and inflexible scheduling despite purchasing flexible fares.

In short, this is not an airline AS or any other American carrier should want to partner with.
Wow - pretty harsh. I do remember when PR was horrible to deal with 10-15 years ago but this is one airline that has actually improved. My recent experience with PR has been pretty good. They have a good Business Class product with attentive service on newer aircraft, excellent Philippine domestic connections for the 2 x 32kg bag limit (Trans Pacific) transfered to final destination, friendly crew and miles accrued to ANA. Actually, I think ANA has put a lot of effort into service training with PR recently. Fares are reasonable as well.

As for flying in the back of the bus - I have very low expectations of every airline for flying discount economy. However they still have the 23kg 2 bag limit for Trans Pacific flights which include domestic connections. It is just a flying bus. I always bring a sandwich, fruit, snacks and my own entertainment - solves many issues in the back. Granted - Manila terminal 2 is horrible.

The luggage factor cannot be underestimated here as Filipinos love to pack heavy and Philippine domestics flights bought seperately have very expensive domestic luggage charges. If your final destination is a city other than Manila with lots of luggage, PR is the way to go.

Last edited by davistev; Jan 9, 20 at 11:09 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: