Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded, Downgraded, Upgraded Again

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by dordal
San Diego
That happened to me also in San Diego! Flying with daughter on same itinerary, Christmas day - She's gold, I'm 75 K, we were upgraded as a pair. Got to the gate, my boarding pass "beeped" and read - seat change to 20-something. Daughter's went to 2A fine. I said, nope, this doesn't work, and she manually put me in 2C.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
What happened. did they move the ex-VX staff to SAN?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Wow. Did you ask for and get an explanation of why they weren't honoring the upgrade showing in the app? Definitely take a screenshot and send it to AlaskaListens....
Alaska listens responded with a canned apology. Fwiw, post the VX merger it feels like AS has forgotten that customer service built their reputation. This is going to be hard for them to sustain if they have a weak network and weaker customer service.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
End of the year issues maybe? I was number one on the upgrade list with my spouse with six people listed below me. Was "upgraded" with spouse three hours before flight, but when I went to pick our seats, the six "empty seats that were showing earlier that day, were down to two and I could not select the two seats. Apparently, the four people below me were assigned seats, but we were not. Called and customer service assigned up to the seats (we were split up in seating by then). Got the new boarding passes at the gate. Stopped during the boarding process and told we were not allowed on board without coupons. I had paid seats, so what coupons I say. Also, the desk issued the unusable boarding passes. So back to desk we go who can't figure out what is wrong. By the time they let us on board everyone else has boarded and there is no place for baggage in first class. Ask FA for help who says you have to find some in the back on your own. Apparently, non-first class was allowed to stop baggage in first class, so tough luck. What a cluster....
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We noticed last night that we’d been upgraded to 1A-1C on today’s SEA-FLL flight but woke up this morning to find that had disappeared.

We’re back in our original (premium) seats and AS is offering to sell those F seats for cash or miles.

We’re also a ways down on the UG list which includes pax waiting for UGs to Premium. Neither the phone agent nor the Lounge employee had any idea what might have happened.

We still have nice seats and F UGs are a lovely bonus so I’m not at all complaining but just a little curious about how this works.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
too late now, but my only recommendation is to screenshot UG seat assignments as soon as you see them, and speak with the first Customer Service supervisor you see at the airport if there’s an issue
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
too late now, but my only recommendation is to screenshot UG seat assignments as soon as you see them, and speak with the first Customer Service supervisor you see at the airport if there’s an issue
Thanks - good advice that we’ll follow another time. Those F seats disappeared less than an hour before boarding so I assume they were bought. We’re still AS rookies in our fourth year as 75Ks, and don’t know the ins and outs the way we did pre-merger UA.

For now we’re in flight and consoling ourselves with Bloody Marys in Row 6, and we have a nice seatmate so all is well. ;-)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you call customer care?

Did you ever get the "you've been upgraded" email?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Wow, this is startling to me. I’m very casual about my upgrades and delete emails and only use my E-ticket as a boarding pass but do put them into my iPhone wallet.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Did you call customer care?

Did you ever get the "you've been upgraded" email?
No to both. I just called the reservation desk. All Mrs. Fredd saw last night was our names on the UG list with F seat numbers assigned. Mrs. Fredd assures me it wasn’t a dream.

It does appear to us that they were selling UGs right to the end this morning. We saw UA adopt the famous TODs policy so if that’s what is happening it’s good to know..
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Hmm. Any chance she saw "upgraded to Premium Class" and was confused??

AS does not seem to intentionally be selling upgrades (other than a few reports of Horizon/SkyWest gate agents) -- though they certainly end up occasionally doing so, and allowing upgrading out of order -- due to long known flaws in the upgrade process.

And then there are the more recent separate issues involving aircraft/seatmap swaps, which cause downgrades.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Hmm. Any chance she saw "upgraded to Premium Class" and was confused??

AS does not seem to intentionally be selling upgrades (other than a few reports of Horizon/SkyWest gate agents) -- though they certainly end up occasionally doing so, and allowing upgrading out of order -- due to long known flaws in the upgrade process.

And then there are the more recent separate issues involving aircraft/seatmap swaps, which cause downgrades.
Good question but no. We chose our premium class seats when we bought the tickets months ago.

The seat numbers she saw last night next to our names, 1A-1C, were the only F seats together on this flight and we’d been watching them for awhile.

This morning we were back in our row 6 seats, and the two F seats were open again. They stayed open and available, including as award travel, until roughly an hour or less before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.