Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:49 pm

Thanks
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by twitch76
Companion Fare expiring 12/31/2020

Good morning... looking for some advice here.

We have a companion fare that expires on Dec 31, 2020. I’m optimistic about returning to more regular travel in Spring/Summer of 2021. We would likely use the Companion Fare for SAN-BOS in August to visit family, but I don’t have specific dates in mind. However, we might just pick dates and make everyone rearrange schedules to meet our travel plans.

It may be relevant to know that we also have plenty of travel funds (~$2000 - some of it is work-related funds) expiring on July 5, 2021. Also, I am MVPG, my companion has no status.

I think I understand that the companion fare will be lost if I don’t book by Dec 31. Also, that no changes can be made to the itinerary. Also, that if the itinerary is canceled after Dec 31, the companion fare will not be returned. Is that all correct?

Does it matter if I use cash to pay the $121 with the companion fare, or can I use travel wallet funds?
If I make the booking and then end up canceling it, will the $121 be returned, or will it be forfeited?
If I use expiring travel funds, would I have to cancel by the expiration date in order to get those funds back and reuse them before the deadline?

Is there a good reason not to book the trip in hopes of it happening as planned? In other words, am I only at risk of losing the companion fare code if something changes (a code that I’ll lose anyway if I don’t book by Dec 31)??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Yes. you must make a booking before Dec 31, 2020 to keep companion code active. You do not need to have firm plans to keep code active.

You are able to make changes later to itinerary, even changing destination and date . If you cancel, you will lose your companion code . Funds would go back to Wallet.
When you make final plans, You would have no change fees but change in fare would apply. It has been reported that using Wallet Funds is possible when making payment. Not sure paying cash would work.
I would ask for more info on expiration of Wallet Funds and if date would change if funds are returned due to cancellation. Perhaps Flying For Fun, (James) or others would have more information on the expiry date of new wallet funds.
Bottom line, it would be a good idea to secure your Companion Code at end of December with some kind of booking.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by toonomadic
Same question about expiry (mine will originally expire Jan 2021). Does "We're extending your elite status through the end of 2021. Read extension details" mean those miles and inactivity is safe until December 31, 2021 (General member)? Or should I gear up and buy some AS Shopping Portal stuff right now?
Not sure if extension includes mile plan account that has been inactive. Using Mileage Plan Shopping Portal is an easy way to keep account active. Even a small purchase at Home Depot.com would work.
toonomadic likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Didn't think this was worthy of a new thread, but I noticed they've processed the elite extension onto the membership card and deposited GGUs for 2021.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:42 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I have an Iberia ticket booked through British Airways (R class). The flight is operated by Iberia and has Iberia flight numbers. Can I credit this to Alaska since it is sold by BA and has a BA fare class?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I have an Iberia ticket booked through British Airways (R class). The flight is operated by Iberia and has Iberia flight numbers. Can I credit this to Alaska since it is sold by BA and has a BA fare class?
No. To be eligible for credit, the flight must be marketed & operated by BA. IB is not an AS partner. AS used to allow credit where the marketing carrier and operating carrier with both AS partners. That required a manual request. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. It is unknown how that will look when ASA becomes a full oneworld member on March 31st.

James
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No. To be eligible for credit, the flight must be marketed & operated by BA. IB is not an AS partner. AS used to allow credit where the marketing carrier and operating carrier with both AS partners. That required a manual request. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. It is unknown how that will look when ASA becomes a full oneworld member on March 31st.

James
Won't this depend on whether the flight is pre or post 31 March? I would think if post then it could be credited. Pre would be as you state.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Won't this depend on whether the flight is pre or post 31 March? I would think if post then it could be credited. Pre would be as you state.
Well that is yet to be determined and time will tell. If we look at the details for recently added QR, the verbage says must fall within flight number range and be both Marketed & Operated by QR. Additionally, codeshare flights operated by QR are ineligible. There is no mention of any changes post 3/31/21. If this holds true, I would anticipate BA & IB would would be commensurate.

QR - Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qatar Airways. Codeshare flights marketed by Qatar Airways and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles. When available Qatar Airways award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles or elite qualifying miles or segments.

Eligible flight numbers

1-2949

3000-3149

5000-6599

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (QR) must precede the flight number (for example, QR XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

James
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
We booked 4 business class Award tickets on cathay pacific in January 2020 for travel on December 30th, 2020, cancelled the ticket several months later due to covid and paid $750 in cancellation fees. What are the odds I can call in and try and get the cancellation fees refunded because we still wouldn't have been able to travel due to covid currently? Thoughts?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
We booked 4 business class Award tickets on cathay pacific in January 2020 for travel on December 30th, 2020, cancelled the ticket several months later due to covid and paid $750 in cancellation fees. What are the odds I can call in and try and get the cancellation fees refunded because we still wouldn't have been able to travel due to covid currently? Thoughts?

Was your orginal flight for December 30, 2020 cancelled? Or are you saying you couldn't go because of the COVID travel restrictions with the country you were going to?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
It's current covid travel restrictions.

Last edited by anthonyparkersd; Dec 12, 2020 at 4:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Two questions regarding traveling on an AS award ticket:

Flying SNA-SFO-ORD in coach (Class W) on AS
Flying ORD-DXB-BKK in Business (Class D) on EK
All on the same ticket

- What's the luggage allowance per passenger at check-in in SNA provided the main portion is in business?
- Lounge access provided at airports? (granted that some lounges are closed now and services are curtailed at others)

Thank you!
AS does not have any lounges in SNA or SFO, and a W fare will not grant any lounge access in any event.

If it is one ticket, I would think that you get baggage allowance based on the international segment, but you may need manual assistance.. If it is considered a domestic ticket, you would not have any free bags absent elite status.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
1) I have an outbound flight scheduled Jan. 10. I should be MVP Gold by that date. It looks like Alaska is blocking middle seats for Premium class but not for Main. I like the Exit row 17 for seats for my partner and I and have booked them for the flight. However, I don't like the fact that someone may be sitting with us in the exit row. Premium class is currently wide open so the chance of an upgrade is high. However, if we are in the exit row, we aren't going to be placed on the upgrade list for Premium class. We could choose regular seats but if we aren't upgraded, then we are stuck in regular seats. We have R class tickets. Is there a way at 72 hours I can manually upgrade my partner and I to a PC seat? Or is there a way to be in an exit row but request to be manually added to the Premium class wait list?

2) On the seat map- what's the difference between Alaska Elite seats and Premium Class seats? It looks like Alaska Elite seats just reserved main cabin seats towards the front of the plane- that I assume at sometime before takeoff gets opened to all passengers?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Sharice SB
1) I have an outbound flight scheduled Jan. 10. I should be MVP Gold by that date. It looks like Alaska is blocking middle seats for Premium class but not for Main. I like the Exit row 17 for seats for my partner and I and have booked them for the flight. However, I don't like the fact that someone may be sitting with us in the exit row. Premium class is currently wide open so the chance of an upgrade is high. However, if we are in the exit row, we aren't going to be placed on the upgrade list for Premium class. We could choose regular seats but if we aren't upgraded, then we are stuck in regular seats. We have R class tickets. Is there a way at 72 hours I can manually upgrade my partner and I to a PC seat? Or is there a way to be in an exit row but request to be manually added to the Premium class wait list?

2) On the seat map- what's the difference between Alaska Elite seats and Premium Class seats? It looks like Alaska Elite seats just reserved main cabin seats towards the front of the plane- that I assume at sometime before takeoff gets opened to all passengers?
1- we also like Row 17 seats but, whether or not you might get someone in the middle depends on how AS handles the schedule. Not sure of which airport you are departing but, LAX is notorious for loading up planes with cancellation of previous flight and adding to next flight.
Upgrade to Premium may happen but you can move yourselves to premium at check in. It may look like you will be charged but should then show $0.00 due.
2- difference between elite seats and Premium......premium have more legroom and upgraded beverage service. Exit row does have great legroom but not service benefits. Elite seats do open up after check in begins. That is also a time someone may select the middle exit row seat.
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by seacarl
AS does not have any lounges in SNA or SFO, and a W fare will not grant any lounge access in any event.

If it is one ticket, I would think that you get baggage allowance based on the international segment, but you may need manual assistance.. If it is considered a domestic ticket, you would not have any free bags absent elite status.
Thank you for the spot on response!

You are correct, no lounges at SNA or SFO. Lounge in ORD shared jointly with other carriers is the saddest I have ever experienced.

Luggage allowance was granted based on the international segment and we were not charged for the additional luggage.

Arrived at destination, and currently quarantining at an ASQ property, Le Meridien Bangkok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.