Wiki Posts
Search

U-turn over Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
U-turn over Lake Michigan

We recently flew SFO-ORD on Alaska, and every so often we get the scenic tour with the plane flying over Lake Michigan and looping around on the right. This time it did a standard U-turn going left. I have never been able to enjoy that particular view before. Have you by any chance experienced it?
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Very common approach...I used to fly a lot of UA and am familiar with it.
dayone likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Ditto. Home airport used to be ORD, so have done that approach many, many times.
channa likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I love the approaches to ORD!
Of course, the problems with ORD only start AFTER you've arrived.... lol
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by channa
Very common approach...I used to fly a lot of UA and am familiar with it.
Originally Posted by dliesse
Ditto. Home airport used to be ORD, so have done that approach many, many times.
You've both done the left hand turn (where you fly south of the airport before turning around and landing to the west) frequently, the approach the OP was asking about? I've never done that before, it's always flying North of the airport and doing the right turns over Lake Michigan. I'm usually coming from the West (SEA/PDX) so I'd think the left hand turns are usually for flights coming from the South. I'd think even for LAX/SFO it would be rare to fly the left turns approach.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
You've both done the left hand turn (where you fly south of the airport before turning around and landing to the west) frequently, the approach the OP was asking about? I've never done that before, it's always flying North of the airport and doing the right turns over Lake Michigan. I'm usually coming from the West (SEA/PDX) so I'd think the left hand turns are usually for flights coming from the South. I'd think even for LAX/SFO it would be rare to fly the left turns approach.
Coming in Monday from SFO, we approached from the SW, flew directly over the airport and continued NE, then turned to head E, flew over Lake Michigan, followed by the 180 degree turn to land to the W.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:35 pm

Common landing path for ORD
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:07 pm

This video on how the Chicago TRACON works is spot on to this conversation. Very interesting watch for AV geeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.