Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
AS27 2/19 ORD-SEA: Water bottles at seats and choice of anything pre-departure in addition to coming around with coffee/oj
pcoll and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I was on a BOS-LAX flight back in November that was delayed by something like 1 or 1.5 hours after we'd all boarded (ground crew, luggage people I think, hit the wiring connecting the plane to ground power and it took out the GPS unit or something like that) and the FAs didn't even take the drink pre-orders for the F cabin until at least 75% of the way into the delay (I was not in the F cabin, but was sitting in row 6 so I could see and hear everything).
During a long delay at the gate last year when the FAs had a tray of water at the front and people were coming up to get waters or ask questions, I just went up to the front and asked if I could get a drink. The guy offered me a sparkling wine. I asked for a scotch instead and I got it (I was in F)
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Lol I find this thread hilarious since itís all about getting offered a drink before take off.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
Lol I find this thread hilarious since itís all about getting offered a drink before take off.
Yes, agreed. And I don't know whether threads like this mean that our corner of civilization is holding strong or that we're fiddling while Rome burns. But in the meantime, as far as I am concerned, these beverage anecdotes MATTER!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not the drink that's specifically important. But it says a lot about the first class service when FAs ignore policy because they don't feel like doing the service, and the airline is ok with that.

If first class service was prioritized this would not be tolerated by the airline.
eeb100k, Eurynom0s and Bellerina like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I didn't realize it was policy. I typically only fly FC when I'm taking a daughter on a trip and never paid much attention till I happened across this thread.

Before the plane could leave the gate on our flight mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, the FAs had to deal with a complete d******* passenger who single-handedly delayed us ~10 minutes. (I still think he should be been kicked off the flight.) FA in FC still managed to serve the PDBs after that with a smile. I already commended her handling of both on alaskalistens.

But now that I know it's policy and not just a nice gesture if time allows, that does paint a different picture. Thanks for the clarification.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
AS1348, SEA-SJC 6:55pm scheduled departure.

I boarded a bit late as there was a mechanical issue they decided to fix half way through boarding and I was late to the gate. Boarding was stopped for a good 15 minutes about half way through boarding.

When I did board, was greeted with and offer of sparkling wine and a mini water bottle at my seat. FA had already taken everyoneís food and drink orders for in the air as well. She already had my pre-order so just confirmed I wanted it (I did) and took my drink order.

Excellent cabin crew.
VegasGambler and pcoll like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
AS2881 PDX-PAE (horizon)
6:30pm

fa handed out baby water bottle and took orders for inflight bev. No PDB.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
AS1623 (SJC-SEA 10:20am)

Currently sipping orange juice. Also offered coffee. Large water bottles (16.9oz full size Dasani) handed out shortly after. FA was very surprised by the water bottles. Said catering had obviously made a mistake.
FA told everyone the menu and said would take orders in the sky. Overall good service with some good humour. Hopefully the rest of the flight is the same.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:11 am

2/23 AS452 LAX-JFK
Nada on an on-time departure. But there must have been something really interesting going on on both FAs' phones.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AS
2/24. AS 1033 SEA/LAX Bus Gate, grrrrr. 9:00 flight. Still waiting for pilots to show.
But, pmVX plane with white recliners that still work. YEA!
PDB offered immediately after settling into seat, Jared is great. Already checked on meals for flight and beverage desired with meal.
9:15 one pilot just showed up. Still waiting for second.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
2/24 AS 1084 PDB of sparkling wine or OJ served at 915am. Excellent service so far inflight.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
2/20 AS1636 SEA-LAS - OJ, Mimosa or sparkling wine offered
2/23 AS142 LAS-SEA - OJ or Coffee offered, I didn't inquire about sparkling as it was a 7AM flight and I'd been up all night and just wanted to pass out
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
2/20 AS1636 SEA-LAS - OJ, Mimosa or sparkling wine offered
2/23 AS142 LAS-SEA - OJ or Coffee offered, I didn't inquire about sparkling as it was a 7AM flight and I'd been up all night and just wanted to pass out
just as a matter of reference, the service standard is coffee and/or OJ in the morning and OJ, sparkling wine or mimosa in the afternoon or evening. So it sounds like the FA's did the service as prescribed. Which is a good thing
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
just as a matter of reference, the service standard is coffee and/or OJ in the morning and OJ, sparkling wine or mimosa in the afternoon or evening. So it sounds like the FA's did the service as prescribed. Which is a good thing
Just for clarification, it used to be sparkling was added for flights departing after 10am. Has it changed to afternoon/evening service only now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.