Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ACBLtd
AS2867 (Horizon)
LAX-PAE

baby water bottle at seat and offered choice of sparkling wine or orange juice from a tray.

And the FA actually said sparkling wine! Most of them say “champagne”
What's sad is Horizon is the consistently good PDB metric. The few times I get on a Horizon E75 it's great service with the full PDB. SkyWest is hit or miss. Why can't Mainline figure this out?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: AS Peon
Offered mimosas on AS412 this morning! I read posts complaining about the lack of PDBs all the time, so I was pleasantly surprised to be proactively offered a mimosa on my first mainline F flight!

Edit: And offered water bottles a few minutes later after everyone was boarded, too.

Last edited by emag_eh7; Feb 14, 2020 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
What's sad is Horizon is the consistently good PDB metric. The few times I get on a Horizon E75 it's great service with the full PDB. SkyWest is hit or miss. Why can't Mainline figure this out?
Horizon is awesome in general. I've never had anything less than great service. I get the idea that they take pride in doing their jobs well. This is going to get some blowback, but I'm not trolling; it's true -- it reminds me a bit of VX. The culture is a little different (Horizon is more "warm", VX was more "fun") but the pride and great service are there.

I'd say that I get that kind of service sometimes on AS mainline. It's 100% with the phone agents (they are amazing) but it's hit or miss in the air. It seems to be based on route too. There are some FAs (particularly those who are based in Alaska, and particularly those who are older) who are amazing. Inside CA, and on transcons, I feel that it's more miss than hit.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Offered mimosas on AS412 this morning! I read posts complaining about the lack of PDBs all the time, so I was pleasantly surprised to be proactively offered a mimosa on my first mainline F flight!

Edit: And offered water bottles a few minutes later after everyone was boarded, too.
you were Also offered coffee by your amazing FA 😬 what seat were you in?
beckoa, pcoll, DrAlex and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
2020 started off great for PDB's.

It's quickly degraded. I think I'm batting under .500, even in case of delays.

As for offering to switch, I'd of taken the FA up on their offer. Yes, I don't mind serving PDB's to the F cabin.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AS Peon
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
you were Also offered coffee by your amazing FA 😬 what seat were you in?
I was indeed offered coffee and lots of snacks, thanks a ton for a great flight! I was in 1A! 😄
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I was indeed offered coffee and lots of snacks, thanks a ton for a great flight! I was in 1A! 😄
haha. Glad you enjoyed it and glad I got to make sure your first mainline first class experience went the way it was supposed to. 🥂😬
NoLaGent, pcoll and emag_eh7 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
haha. Glad you enjoyed it and glad I got to make sure your first mainline first class experience went the way it was supposed to. 🥂😬
You should show the intra-CA FAs how it's supposed to be done. I don't think a single one of them is over 25 and the standard line now includes the words "after departure" or "when we are airborne". They take the drink orders before takeoff but they make it very clear that they will not bring you anything until after takeoff.

On the other hand I flew OAK-OGG this morning and the FA was great. She came and with the standard tray (POG, Sparkling wine, and OJ) and brought me a coffee instead when I asked. She was great throughout the flight too.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Feb 15, 2020 at 9:58 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You should show the intra-CA FAs how it's supposed to be done. I don't think a single one of them is over 25 and the standard line now includes the words "after departure" or "when we are airborne". They take the drink orders before takeoff but they make it very clear that they will not bring you anything until after takeoff.

On the other hand I flew OAK-OGG this morning and the FA was great. She came and with the stand tray (POG, Sparkling wine, and OJ) and bright me a coffee instead when I asked. She was great throughout the flight too.
I go to my job and do what I'm asked to do - that's what I'm paid for. It's a little disheartening to see the lack of consistency - and to read about it here. it's laziness and aroggance - pure and simple. There are one-off situations where there isn't catering to do the PDB service, or the flight is being turned around so quickly that PDB is just not a priority - but those situations are rare. My only advice to folks here is to continue sending notes to management when it's not done. They can enforce consistency if they want to... To your point, however, when I'm working the entire crew does what's supposed to be done.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
17Feb
AS2880 PAE-PDX (Horizon)

FA handed out the baby water bottles and took an inflight drinks order on the ground.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
On my SEA FLL flight last week the FA attendant did not even take orders for drinks until well after the 10k mark. It felt like the service was spread out to last the 5+hr flight with the same effort as a shorter flight, so if the flight were only 3 hrs the service would have been the same. Water bottles were at the seat, and the orders were taken after the hot towel service.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
AS1755
SFO>SEA
17 Feb 2020
Standard Sparkling Wine and OJ offering
(H2O bottles already at seats)
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
2/20 AS #372 SFO to PVR 11:30 am
boarded at t-40. Water bottles delivered at t-20.
No other beverage offered. Drink and food orders taken on the ground.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by sjbsf
2/20 AS #372 SFO to PVR 11:30 am
boarded at t-40. Water bottles delivered at t-20.
No other beverage offered. Drink and food orders taken on the ground.
As far as the water bottle goes...that is all on catering, at least the last three flights I took. I even overheard one of FAs mentioning to the other about how frustrating it is when catering comes late.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

On the other hand I flew OAK-OGG this morning and the FA was great. She came and with the standard tray (POG, Sparkling wine, and OJ) and brought me a coffee instead when I asked. She was great throughout the flight too.
I was on a BOS-LAX flight back in November that was delayed by something like 1 or 1.5 hours after we'd all boarded (ground crew, luggage people I think, hit the wiring connecting the plane to ground power and it took out the GPS unit or something like that) and the FAs didn't even take the drink pre-orders for the F cabin until at least 75% of the way into the delay (I was not in the F cabin, but was sitting in row 6 so I could see and hear everything).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.