Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2020-2023]

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
AS 790 - SAN-MCO - 4 Feb

No PDB other than the water bottles. However, we left almost 10 minutes early, and the service was fantastic otherwise. FA was very insistent that she could customize meals if we didn't like something, and even insisted that I read the menu even though I had reserved the Onion/Gruyere omelette to make sure everything in it was OK. I am guessing she has been getting feedback that something sucks.

Mimosa was regularly topped off, and multiple runs of the snack basket about 30 mins apart.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
Nothing despite early boarding

2/9 #1754 SEA to SFO departing 5:25 pm.
water at seats nothing else offered, despite the fact we boarded really early.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
So today was bad. I’m used to not getting the sparkling wine before take off. I’m also VERY used to - if time allows and I ASK - I get it.

I boarded today. And boarding was literally clear at t-25. I knew before wheels up, I’d be asleep. So I asked. May as well get one.

The FA, her name was Kasia, responded to my request with “yes, I have sparkling wine. And I’ll be happy to serve you a glass in the air. Were you expecting something else?”

i said, “oh, I thought the standard was we could get one before departure?”

ive never had a reply like this from any Alaska FA - she said, “Well, knowing how this works is my job. And I serve in the air. If you’d like to do my job we can trade places.”
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call customer care and complain. That is ridiculous. Whether they serve PDBs or not, she should not be in a customer facing job.

I'm 0-for-2 on PDBs on AS F this year. There is no point complaining; AS has no desire to provide first class service.
ffman999 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by mikexner
ive never had a reply like this from any Alaska FA - she said, “Well, knowing how this works is my job. And I serve in the air. If you’d like to do my job we can trade places.”
Yikes... and here I thought the pdbs were getting more consistent.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
I did send a note. Literally before we even took off. And I expect I’ll get a canned note back that says “we are sorry we didn’t meet your expectations of offering you oreange juice or sparkling wine in addition to the bottle of water that was left at your seat”.

She could have masked her no in soooooo many ways.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Jan 25
AS1399
JFK-LAX 7:30AM
Coffee only

Feb 8
AS468
LAX-JFK 3:30PM
Mimosas/OJ

PDB two out of four with baby water bottle at seat for all during 2020 so far.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Yikes... and here I thought the pdbs were getting more consistent.
West coast flights seem to be more consistent with NO PDB.
I find that our flights SEA/LAX are not given PDB. We fly these once a month. Back and forth. Only once did I get proactive and go forward and ask for drink.
During flight, I engage FA in conversation when it gets quiet. Asked what their understanding of PDB policy is...have gotten different answer each time.
Boils down to "we don't feel like doing it". LAX based crews all go with this attitude.. in my experience. I usually bring coffee with my from lounge and just go with that.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I just find the FA customer service attitude that mikeexner mentioned really puzzling. I mean, at the very least, FAs should know two things if they are asked for a PDB. First, the person knows that PDBs are a thing and know they are supposed to be part of the service. Second, FA should suspect that the person is a frequent flyer, and probably a very frequent one if they are in FC. (GMVP, GMVP 75 etc.) Knowing this, they should also understand who is most likely to give feedback for good and bad service. It's simple self preservation.

This attitude seems to me to be someone who either doesn't care or is not very smart. Either way, they should find a different profession, preferably not having customer service as a core competency. (For everyone's sake.)
AS Flyer, ctporter and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Klrduks
I just find the FA customer service attitude that mikeexner mentioned really puzzling. I mean, at the very least, FAs should know two things if they are asked for a PDB. First, the person knows that PDBs are a thing and know they are supposed to be part of the service. Second, FA should suspect that the person is a frequent flyer, and probably a very frequent one if they are in FC. (GMVP, GMVP 75 etc.) Knowing this, they should also understand who is most likely to give feedback for good and bad service. It's simple self preservation.

This attitude seems to me to be someone who either doesn't care or is not very smart. Either way, they should find a different profession, preferably not having customer service as a core competency. (For everyone's sake.)
Spot. On.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Yesterday pdb. Today, no pdb. And the FA's prior to take off sure looked bored during boarding. Previous flights this year have also been running about 50%. So there is my uncompensated "secret shopper" report. Click HERE to sign up for my premium reports including flight numbers and flight attendant names for a small monthly fee.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Yesterday pdb. Today, no pdb. And the FA's prior to take off sure looked bored during boarding. Previous flights this year have also been running about 50%. So there is my uncompensated "secret shopper" report. Click HERE to sign up for my premium reports including flight numbers and flight attendant names for a small monthly fee.
Please provide this report to AS customer care for free...
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
AS2867 (Horizon)
LAX-PAE

baby water bottle at seat and offered choice of sparkling wine or orange juice from a tray.

And the FA actually said sparkling wine! Most of them say “champagne”
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Please provide this report to AS customer care for free...
Sorry, "push notifications" to AS customer care are only available at this time with the enhanced Premium Subscription service.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: AS MVP
AS 1399 JFK LAX Feb 13

​​The small water bottles at seat. FA went around cabin during boarding offering drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.