Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Using the JAL booking reference, you can attach your AS number when you search for it on the AY (Finnair) website.
I get a "no booking found" when trying this
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by barabbas90
I'm an hour into a hold with them. Was hoping there was something I missed to skip the call, last time I called them in June the hold time was almost 3 hours.
Call JAL when they first open in the morning. I think it’s 8 am PDT. The agent put in my AS MP number and then entered my preferred seat selections. Total call time was about 20 minutes.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Thichbay
You need to book one segment first (usually the F one) then use "Change Reservation " to access the "old" multi-city tool to add the J segment. However, sometimes it gives you "error message" at the payment step. Your PNR is updated and showing both segments but no new ticket is issued. You then call CS to get your new ticket.
when I use the "change reservation" in my F booking, i cannot seem to access the old multi city tool. what gives? are you forcing it, some how?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:15 am

Is TYO-LAX-HNL a valid routing? My partner and I are flying TYO-LAX together on JL and then we're going onto our respective cities. I could have sworn in the past I've done something similar but I could be very mistaken given that it's been awhile since trying to book a trip with JL. Thanks in advanced!

I know I can do TYO-LAX-another city in the continental US but am guessing that since JL flies TYO-HNL directly AS won't allow this routing for one itinerary/award booking.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
when I use the "change reservation" in my F booking, i cannot seem to access the old multi city tool. what gives? are you forcing it, some how?

Just some data point when calling AS regarding partner award ticket:
_ If I ask upfront to be transferred to partner award desk, I either get: a)put on hold for a long time; or b) being told they are closed for the weekend
_ If I just talked to regular AS agent, and when they can't do anything, they just put me on hold and get it fixed.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Go to the JAL website and select "MANAGE FLIGHT BOOKING", From there you enter the flight details (be sure to have the JL PNR). This will take you to the reservation record. Then select "RELATED SERVICES" under "Passenger & Contact Information". At the top of the next page will be where you enter the FF information, followed by the usual contact information.
I have a JAL award booked on the Alaska website. I tried to follow these instructions but under passenger information section the only option in the "Membership program" dropdown is Japan Airlines. Has something changed?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dave1975
I have a JAL award booked on the Alaska website. I tried to follow these instructions but under passenger information section the only option in the "Membership program" dropdown is Japan Airlines. Has something changed?
I'm not sure when the JAL website feature changed, but it did so sometime between when I posted that message in Jan.'21 and now. I think this has been previously reported in this thread. I'm having the same trouble with my reservation in April '23. There's been suggestions to go do the update on the AY website, but that system can't find the PNR. Same for the other usual OW sites. To date, I've yet to learn a workaround.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:29 pm

Weird ! I was just able to put in my AS # (OW Emerald) and select some window seat (1A, 2A, 1K, 2K are still blocked). Another weird thing is that when I put in the AS # for my daughter (OW Ruby), it open the whole seat map, but I get error message when I try to pick 1A/2A or 1K/2K
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thichbay
Weird ! I was just able to put in my AS # (OW Emerald) and select some window seat (1A, 2A, 1K, 2K are still blocked). Another weird thing is that when I put in the AS # for my daughter (OW Ruby), it open the whole seat map, but I get error message when I try to pick 1A/2A or 1K/2K
I didn't have trouble choosing economy seats, I just cant add the Alaska FF
I started here at the English version - https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/
Then was redirected to this - https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings

Did you use the same?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:42 pm

I didn't have trouble choosing economy seats, I just cant add the Alaska FF
I started here at the English version - https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/
Then was redirected to this - https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings

Did you use the same?
Yes I used the same website.
I was talking about picking J seats (not Y seats). Before I put it my AS #, pretty much all the window J seats was blocked. Once my AS # is saved and JL recognise my OW status, they unblock most of the window J seats.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Hi folks - not a frequent user of Alaska miles but trying to redeem for a JAL Premium Economy (PE) flight. Can those be booked using Mileage Plan miles? I don't see availability online. Do I need to call or is there no way to redeem for PE? Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Hi folks - not a frequent user of Alaska miles but trying to redeem for a JAL Premium Economy (PE) flight. Can those be booked using Mileage Plan miles? I don't see availability online. Do I need to call or is there no way to redeem for PE? Thanks.
JL Premium Economy ward redemptions are not available in Mileage Plan.

JL award redemptions.

James
kalderlake likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
JL Premium Economy ward redemptions are not available in Mileage Plan.

JL award redemptions.

James
Thank you, James. I guess I am still living in the past. For some reason I thought that at one point it was possible to redeem Mileage Plan miles for JAL PE but I guess no more...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:51 pm

Is last minute intra-Asia award availability on Jal no longer a thing?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Thank you, James. I guess I am still living in the past. For some reason I thought that at one point it was possible to redeem Mileage Plan miles for JAL PE but I guess no more...
The far past. AS did briefly offer PE redemptions on JAL when they first joined as partners many years ago. I cannot remember exactly how long they lasted but it was not not long, maybe only a couple of months before AS pulled all PE award availability on JAL. JAL must have been upset at most of their PE awards going to AS and put the hammer down quickly.
vdostoi1 and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.