Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Had the same experience with the last minute JL F awards. Just recently managed to snag 2 MNL-HND-JFK in F, around T-13. Only managed to snag Y for the MNL-HND sector and althought I was monitoring AS website like crazy hoping for J to open up on the MNL sector, it never did. To my surprise, when boarding the cabin the day of flight, J was nearly completely empty, perhaps 5 seats taken. Even Y was maybe only half full and they stopped releasing awards for that closer into the flight too. So definitely some other logic being applied here for the J award release.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:08 am

It's interesting - haven't seen this before with JL. I see no CX inventory, not surprised I guess. Same situation with SQ, but I can find J out of LAX, but not beyond NRT.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:25 pm

I'm planning a trip from BKK-TYO-LAX and seeing J availability with JAL. Assuming I book J, will I be able to switch the TYO-LAX leg to F, assuming award space opens up prior to departure? If so, will the price of this be difference in points between booking a J and F outright? Not sure if there are limitations to changing itineraries, or if there's a specific cots to upgrading. Also, I'm worried that I might be forced to cancel and rebook the entire itinerary, and I wouldn't want to lose the seat in J from BKK-TYO.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by alexsmichaels
I'm planning a trip from BKK-TYO-LAX and seeing J availability with JAL. Assuming I book J, will I be able to switch the TYO-LAX leg to F, assuming award space opens up prior to departure? If so, will the price of this be difference in points between booking a J and F outright? Not sure if there are limitations to changing itineraries, or if there's a specific cots to upgrading. Also, I'm worried that I might be forced to cancel and rebook the entire itinerary, and I wouldn't want to lose the seat in J from BKK-TYO.
I've done this a few times now on this route. Will just be charged the difference in points. It usually takes a few agents to find one that knows what to do. Each time I've had agents tell me no space is available just HUCA. Agents will need to transfer you to the international award desk and they can do it quickly and easily. Make sure you book the j ticket first as each time I've done it all j space on bkk-tyo is gone by the time they release F space.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Skoolz60
I've done this a few times now on this route. Will just be charged the difference in points. It usually takes a few agents to find one that knows what to do. Each time I've had agents tell me no space is available just HUCA. Agents will need to transfer you to the international award desk and they can do it quickly and easily. Make sure you book the j ticket first as each time I've done it all j space on bkk-tyo is gone by the time they release F space.
Do you have to call? Could you not do this online?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by najama2
Do you have to call? Could you not do this online?
You have to call, I've had minimal hold times. Theoretically you could cancel, get miles redeposited and rebook if there was still availability on both segments but you can just call and the international award desk can just upgrade the Tokyo to LAX segment and keep the BKK Tokyo segment unchanged. We were lucky and got F seats with business service on the BKK Tokyo segment.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:29 am

Thank you Skoolz60! Went ahead and booked. I'll be crossing my fingers for F space to open up. I got to experience ANA F a couple months ago and now I'm determined more than ever to do the same in JAL F.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:43 am

Hi Everyone, thank you for your input and guidance on this thread, may i ask if i book LAX-HND-SGN for 75K AS miles in one itinerary where LAX-HND in F and HND-SGN in Y.... if I find HND-SGN J open up later, I can just call AS Award line and ask to upgrade to J and can still keep F on first leg as one itinerary right? from my understanding 75K miles is the max for this route so there should be no extra miles need to pay ? TIA
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Thanks for this info! Just used to to book BKK-TYO-SEA for by initially booking a R/T SEA-TYO trip. Prior to this, I even tried calling in since the availability showed in the award calendar but not when you tried to book- they didn't seem to have an answer of why it was available in calendar and for R/T, but not for OW.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:33 pm

This has probably been answered somewhere before, but I can't seem to find the answer.
If I want to combine AS flight with JAL flight, how do I search to ensure that the AS flight is able to be added to a partner itinerary. I think I need "saver" award available right?

Do I simply look at the award chart for AS and find the lowest cost? For example, if the chart says starting at 15k, that means I need to find AS award availability at that 15k mark? Or is it somewhat more complicated than that.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by alexsmichaels
Thank you Skoolz60! Went ahead and booked. I'll be crossing my fingers for F space to open up. I got to experience ANA F a couple months ago and now I'm determined more than ever to do the same in JAL F.
Space routinely opens up in the evening 14 days out, good luck! Girlfriend and I only had to share the F cabin with one other person who wasn't drinking last flight. Drank the whole bottle of cristal and the GF put down another bottle of Taittinger Comtes while I slept, incredible service
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
This has probably been answered somewhere before, but I can't seem to find the answer.
If I want to combine AS flight with JAL flight, how do I search to ensure that the AS flight is able to be added to a partner itinerary. I think I need "saver" award available right?

Do I simply look at the award chart for AS and find the lowest cost? For example, if the chart says starting at 15k, that means I need to find AS award availability at that 15k mark? Or is it somewhat more complicated than that.
It's more complicated - to combine with a JAL flight it's a special code that isn't always available even if the lowest award availability is showing for the AS flight. IME you have to find it when looking for the award flight or call.
aquanine likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
It's more complicated - to combine with a JAL flight it's a special code that isn't always available even if the lowest award availability is showing for the AS flight. IME you have to find it when looking for the award flight or call.
Ah, so I guess I should just go ahead and book the TPAC flight first then call in and see what feeder flights, if any, the agent is able to tack on.

Unrelated question, it doesn't seem like the AS online search is willing to put together a JL TPAC + intra Asia flight when I search directly (ie. LAX-CGK), even though LAX-NRT (J/F) and NRT-CGK (Y) does appear when searched individually. This also one of those things I should just be able to call in and get added by the agent? Or are there some limitations I'm not aware of.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
I probably have a lame question, which might've been discussed here already...

Award ticket with JAL was issued to A fare class. Is there any potential to credit it to AS or any other program?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by seryoga
I probably have a lame question, which might've been discussed here already...

Award ticket with JAL was issued to A fare class. Is there any potential to credit it to AS or any other program?
No, award tickets do not earn miles.

Award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles, elite-qualifying miles or segments.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...japan-airlines

You can expect most programs to have similar language.
​​​​​
seryoga likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.