Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thichbay
I dont think searching TYO or HND/NRT has anything to do with this. I was trying to book US-HND-Asia. It is searchable on AS but I got error msg at payment. After confirming available space on BA website (for both segments), I booked US-HND 1st (no issue), but then I got above error msg when trying to add HND-Asia segment.
About a month ago, I was able to book US-HND (in F) then add HND-Asia (in J) 5 minutes later with no issue. Interestingly that US-HND-Asia (F/J) was not even searchable on AS website
I didn't have any issues booking J awards a few months ago, Asia-HND-Asia & DEL-HND-JFK-PDX-PHX with a JFK stopover.

I am not sure if JL awards availability is still from the Partnership before oneworld or now on par with other oneworld carriers. It does appear, however, that a change has occured and dynamic pricing on JL awards has come into effect. Perhaps that had a ripple effect on completing JL awards.

The JL awards chart, at least to/from NA, now has the added "Starting from" preceeding the award level. I have seen some Y awards from Asia-NA pricing at 40K. I haven't noticed any elevated award levels in J or F.

Dynamic Pricing on JL Awards

James
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Ive gotten lots of JL flight cancellation, causing rebooking as JAL has cancelled more summer flights. Hope many of your trips are salvageable.....
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:11 am

I am trying to get SIN-HND-GMP in J for 8/14. Prior to 8/9, it has J for both segments. On 8/14 and after, SIN-HND is in Y and only HND-GMP is in J. Does anyone know if it is possible to book for august 9 and try and switch to august 14 and keep the J class for both segments? Or if we can’t see it, then it’s not available for award bookings?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by jiburi
Ive gotten lots of JL flight cancellation, causing rebooking as JAL has cancelled more summer flights. Hope many of your trips are salvageable.....
would be helpful if you mentioned the routes cancelled.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kitty75k
I am trying to get SIN-HND-GMP in J for 8/14. Prior to 8/9, it has J for both segments. On 8/14 and after, SIN-HND is in Y and only HND-GMP is in J. Does anyone know if it is possible to book for august 9 and try and switch to august 14 and keep the J class for both segments? Or if we can’t see it, then it’s not available for award bookings?
That's not how award bookings work. You can't get around there being no award availability for a date and class by booking for when it exists and then changing to a time when it doesn't exist. If it did work like that there would be no point in restricting award availability, because everyone would just book whenever and change it to when they wanted to travel. It appears JL doesn't want to make SIN-HND available in J for those dates?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's not how award bookings work. You can't get around there being no award availability for a date and class by booking for when it exists and then changing to a time when it doesn't exist. If it did work like that there would be no point in restricting award availability, because everyone would just book whenever and change it to when they wanted to travel. It appears JL doesn't want to make SIN-HND available in J for those dates?
See that’s what I thought, but a while back I went to Singapore with a F ticket on the SEA-NRT segment and J on the NRT-SIN segment, but when it was time to go home I realized I was in Y for SIN-NRT and F for NRT-SEA.

I contacted CS and asked why it was different for my return ticket, and then they did something and the Y segment of my ticket was changed to J. The mileage redemption was the same both ways (75k AS miles).

So now I’m wondering if I could just get a J ticket for a date that’s available now, and hope for the J availability to open up for the date I prefer later on and then change my ticket for that date.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AS
So now I’m wondering if I could just get a J ticket for a date that’s available now, and hope for the J availability to open up for the date I prefer later on and then change my ticket for that date.
Yes, you can book what is available now and you will be able to change later if availability opens up for your preferred dates. JAL sometimes uses married segment availability so that could also be a consideration if you want to change.
eponymous_coward and williwaw like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
See that’s what I thought, but a while back I went to Singapore with a F ticket on the SEA-NRT segment and J on the NRT-SIN segment, but when it was time to go home I realized I was in Y for SIN-NRT and F for NRT-SEA.

I contacted CS and asked why it was different for my return ticket, and then they did something and the Y segment of my ticket was changed to J. The mileage redemption was the same both ways (75k AS miles).

You were lucky - sometimes the higher level isn't available on all segments so it is booked in lower class for some segments - so either the agent did you a favor or the award class for business became available between when you booked and when u checked (and that's why they were able to book it)

The most egregious example of this is when you look at F sfo-tyo - It will show as F award if sfo-lax is in F and lax-tyo is in COACH (but there is a symbol indication different class)
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
You were lucky - sometimes the higher level isn't available on all segments so it is booked in lower class for some segments - so either the agent did you a favor or the award class for business became available between when you booked and when u checked (and that's why they were able to book it)

The most egregious example of this is when you look at F sfo-tyo - It will show as F award if sfo-lax is in F and lax-tyo is in COACH (but there is a symbol indication different class)
I’m trying to book award flights for two people in September/Early October from anywhere on the West Coast to Tokyo and finding zero availability in Business. Has anyone come across similar issues? I know the reopening of Japan is unique, but in the the last week it went from 8/10 days of Outbound availability to ZERO. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jknc09
I’m trying to book award flights for two people in September/Early October from anywhere on the West Coast to Tokyo and finding zero availability in Business. Has anyone come across similar issues? I know the reopening of Japan is unique, but in the the last week it went from 8/10 days of Outbound availability to ZERO. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'm having the same issue in April '23. I think they've pretty much pulled back all J space. Not sure what they're expecting, but they're expecting something to happen that'll justify holding space routinely available for awards.
jknc09 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K

Did you contact JAL or AS to make that change? My wife has ORD to NRT in F but NRT to CGK in Y. It will be nice if her last segment can be changed to J. F+J is very rare for summer time, most of them are F+Y. My friend grabbed a few F+J in his hand and will dump some of them in the next or two months.

I also noticed the pattern that for the dates F+Y is available, then J+J is not available, and vice versa, they don’t exist on the same date. My J+J ticket is 3 days after my wife’s F+Y to Indonesia. I am watching for the date that we can travel together, but no luck yet. I guess eventually we will have to travel separately.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by AK100k
Did you contact JAL or AS to make that change? My wife has ORD to NRT in F but NRT to CGK in Y. It will be nice if her last segment can be changed to J. F+J is very rare for summer time, most of them are F+Y. My friend grabbed a few F+J in his hand and will dump some of them in the next or two months.

I also noticed the pattern that for the dates F+Y is available, then J+J is not available, and vice versa, they don’t exist on the same date. My J+J ticket is 3 days after my wife’s F+Y to Indonesia. I am watching for the date that we can travel together, but no luck yet. I guess eventually we will have to travel separately.
IIRC AS never shows F/J availability on a routing like ORD/NRT/CGK. It will always show F/Y even though J might be available on the NRT/CGK sector. The way round this is to book ORD/NRT in F, then ring in to add NRT/CGK. There is quite a lot about this upthread, including a way to add the NRT/CGK sector in J using the online change tool.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jknc09
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I'm having the same issue in April '23. I think they've pretty much pulled back all J space. Not sure what they're expecting, but they're expecting something to happen that'll justify holding space routinely available for awards.
i have experienced the same exact issue this week. there was decent availability on various routes last week and then this week it all disappeared; nothing showing available in business whatsoever for several months. i believe i read something about JAL re-categorizing some fare classes or something (sorry, i am not a true flyertalk nerd on this topic) so i'm hoping that a bunch of availability is just going to start showing up one day soon. i just keep compulsively checking every day...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
i have been trying to do this for the first time, for J from basically any likely US gateway to MNL/SIN/etc. Leave around April 10-12 and return around May 09-13. I've managed to snag a couple outbounds from ORD, but having no luck with the returns yet.

I am hoping that the reason for this is that, while AS will offer flights as far out as May 10 today, JL does not. Yesterday the latest JL I could see for an AS award was for Apr 30, and J disappeared when I refreshed the page.

So perhaps that means that I need to check first thing 8 days from now in order to snap up a May 09 award? Or would that be the correct answer if JL has not pulled everything?

UPDATE: SUCCESS!!
A few days ago I was able to book ORD-MNL RT JL Biz booked for Apr 11 - May 11.

That's a couple days longer than I really wanted, and the return is MNL-NRT-SEA-ORD, with the last segment in AS Econ, but oh well.

Lesson learned: I booked the outbound as soon as it was in range and later tried to do the same with the return. Well, it seems that many "returns" -- at least with JL -- are only available if you book a RT. You can't even add them to an existing JL outbound. So I had to book a new RT then cancel the old outbound.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 20, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Booked my first F+J ticket on JL for a couple weeks from now. First time in JL F, too.

I'm originating from YVR and need to get to SFO. What are the rules with getting to SFO on an AS connector? Understand it has to be saver lever, but how can I differentiate that from regular? Is it just the F seats for 40K (as opposed to 60K)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.