Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:51 pm

Amazing, thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Do not wait on #'s 2 and 3. Space could be taken by someone else at any time. Do it ASAP once you have #1 booked.

To be clear, You have to confirm the F space is available from TYO-LAX on the date you need it (the day your flight from India arrives in TYO) before booking #1. If F space is not available there is no point in booking #1. I think you know this but I did not explicitly point that out in my previous post since for the date I checked I confirmed there was F space.
Done.. Finally did May 18-19th only since 27/28 was too close to another trip. Thank you
Have asked this before, but same (minor) issue again.. Never able to find a connection from LAX to PHX to tack on the the Del - NRT-LAX journey (any class), couple times done this, had to buy separate ticket on SW or some other carrier. Reaches LAX at 10:50AM May 19th. AS either shows mostly nothing or wants to route through SEA and onward to PHX. AA is there but they wont mix partners. Has this changed? Is there any trick?
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FT-hss
Done.. Finally did May 18-19th only since 27/28 was too close to another trip. Thank you
Have asked this before, but same (minor) issue again.. Never able to find a connection from LAX to PHX to tack on the the Del - NRT-LAX journey (any class), couple times done this, had to buy separate ticket on SW or some other carrier. Reaches LAX at 10:50AM May 19th. AS either shows mostly nothing or wants to route through SEA and onward to PHX. AA is there but they wont mix partners. Has this changed? Is there any trick?
No. There is no trick. Only one partner allowed on an AS award. AS does not run a nonstop LAX-PHX.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
JAL changed hnd- sfo again to 2 class - 10 hour wait to get through!

Checked a booking - says I need to call. No flights listed and the JAL pnr shows no flight. Apparently they had sold HND- Sfo with F but it has been downgraded to 2 class plane. When I tried to call yesterday middle of the night it was an 8-10 wait. Tried next morning - 10 + hour wait!
Anyone else called in the last day or so? I've never had more than 2-4 hour wait before.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by estnet
Checked a booking - says I need to call. No flights listed and the JAL pnr shows no flight. Apparently they had sold HND- Sfo with F but it has been downgraded to 2 class plane. When I tried to call yesterday middle of the night it was an 8-10 wait. Tried next morning - 10 + hour wait!
Anyone else called in the last day or so? I've never had more than 2-4 hour wait before.
Wow, JL really is hurting! No F to SFO for a while, then summer picks up F from NRT for a few months before switching back to HND. Crazy. Are you going to re-route through LAX?

What numbers were you calling? The main number, Partner Desk, other? If you were calling the main number try the Partner Desk number.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:15 pm

Wow, JL really is hurting! No F to SFO for a while, then summer picks up F from NRT for a few months before switching back to HND. Crazy. Are you going to re-route through LAX?

What numbers were you calling? The main number, Partner Desk, other? If you were calling the main number try the Partner Desk number.
Both, doesn't matter it's all a forever hold and it doesn't matter that I have some status. SFO hasn't had non stop F to tyo for a while. They changed 1/2 to a 2 class plane a while ago - so all the bookings that were done in F were needing to be changed. But AS never notified me - before or now. The one I booked a long time ago and flew recently I asked them to ask AS to open a F award from lax - which they did. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this one (actually 2 - but the other is far in the future).
They keep allowing booking in F a while in advance which gets my hopes up that travel has picked up, but then as the time approaches it doesn't hold. Maybe when Japan is open again.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I called yesterday and I got a call back about 4.5h later. The agent didn't seem knowledgeable as he claimed there was only Y on a flight where AS, BA and AA web sites all see J.
Today, the message was that the wait was 10 minutes but it lasted 6h before the system hung up.
Another call and it says 10+h wait.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Both, doesn't matter it's all a forever hold and it doesn't matter that I have some status. SFO hasn't had non stop F to tyo for a while. They changed 1/2 to a 2 class plane a while ago - so all the bookings that were done in F were needing to be changed. But AS never notified me - before or now. The one I booked a long time ago and flew recently I asked them to ask AS to open a F award from lax - which they did. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this one (actually 2 - but the other is far in the future).
They keep allowing booking in F a while in advance which gets my hopes up that travel has picked up, but then as the time approaches it doesn't hold. Maybe when Japan is open again.
Many airlines are struggling with customer service these days but I had not realized Alaska was so bad now. I wonder if there was some spike in volume based on some unusual event(s) (weather, IT) ?

I had a friend who needed to call SQ and their wait times recently sometimes were many hours. They said they used Google Assistant (I think it was the "Hold for me" feature. Not available on all phones - some Androids, no iPhones.) to wait on hold for them while they were doing other stuff and that helped them, not with the wait time, but making the wait time pass less painfully.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many airlines are struggling with customer service these days but I had not realized Alaska was so bad now. I wonder if there was some spike in volume based on some unusual event(s) (weather, IT) ?

I had a friend who needed to call SQ and their wait times recently sometimes were many hours. They said they used Google Assistant (I think it was the "Hold for me" feature. Not available on all phones - some Androids, no iPhones.) to wait on hold for them while they were doing other stuff and that helped them, not with the wait time, but making the wait time pass less painfully.
My guess is a bunch of pilots “called in sick” to picket per the other thread here, and CS is picking up pieces.

Labor Issues Cause Flight Cancellations

Staffing partner awards is probably low priority compared to customers who are needing immediate rebooks.
estnet and skimthetrees like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My guess is a bunch of pilots “called in sick” to picket per the other thread here, and CS is picking up pieces.

Staffing partner awards is probably low priority compared to customers who are needing immediate rebooks.
I don't mind waiting (b/c my need is not urgent) but the "que" I am in is "reservations" I would hope there is a different/faster one for "my flight was cancelled" - is there? I would like to know that if I had an urgent problem I could get through in a reasonable time - but the long wait scares me if I were in urgent need.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:14 pm

If I book an F ticket on JAL and see that another seat in F has opened up on another date, is it free to call in and switch to this? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Saturday morning. Partner awards says 6-8 h.
MVP reservations says > 10h.
It's not looking like they are giving higher priority to normal reservations.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:40 pm

If I book an F ticket on JAL and see that another seat in F has opened up on another date, is it free to call in and switch to this? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrganicCannabis
Alaska eliminated change fees in 2020.

https://news.alaskaair.com/newsroom/...s-permanently/

I would recommend you try to do it online unless you want a very, very long hold time.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by OrganicCannabis
try changing online - it often works and with the crashed call in this is your best bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.