Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've got a couple JAL F seats lined up to TOK later in the year and was thinking of where to add on to when I make TOK my stopover. It now seems that the flights from TOK to DEL are angled not lie flats. Does anyone have knowledge or experience where else I could add on that would be on a lie flat on JAL?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I've got a couple JAL F seats lined up to TOK later in the year and was thinking of where to add on to when I make TOK my stopover. It now seems that the flights from TOK to DEL are angled not lie flats. Does anyone have knowledge or experience where else I could add on that would be on a lie flat on JAL?
SIN ?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:20 pm

Hi -

Look for any route with a 787.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
When you call back call the Partner Desk number.

I mentioned in my previous post that It may not be sufficient to say that AA sees a combined F/J itinerary bookable together since they may be married (although you have a connection so married should not be an issue). You should also confirm that AA sees the BKK-HND J segment on its own. If the segment is available both combined and separate then it is not married and a competent agent should have no trouble adding it. Unfortunately, there a quite a few agents who are not well trained on this and you may have to call back more than once to get a good one.

It may help to have arguments prepared for inaccurate statements from agents. Such as:

Statement: There is no availability.
Statement: There is only married segment availability.

Rebut showing an AS website search showing the segment you want shows availability in J both in a married connecting itin and also with a stopover. Thus you will have shown there is availability for both married segments and unmarried segments at which point if they still cannot figure out how to book it they are obviously not competent enough and you need to ask them if they can have their supervisor take a look at it. My experience has been once you prove to them that space is available on their website (they were wrong) they will likely escalate to a more competent agent on their own but if not then ask if they can request help from a supervisor. The supervisor usually quickly understands the issue and is able to get it booked.
i agree,
but if is definitely easier to just call back and speak to a competent rep
I thought AS did away with the partner desk and that most employee’s are partner trained, am I mistaken?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by RaingerRain
i agree,
but if is definitely easier to just call back and speak to a competent rep
I thought AS did away with the partner desk and that most employee’s are partner trained, am I mistaken?
That was the story told for a while at Alaska. Maybe something has changed? Maybe they call it something else now? More recently folks have called the (old?) Partner Desk phone number and have had more success getting through to competent agents. There is such a thing as an International Line so maybe it routes there? Regardless there are a couple of numbers that seem to route to agents more well trained in international flight changes and partner awards so if you find yourself in a situation where you or others have had trouble calling the normal line give those numbers a try.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Nothing out of DEL in May (or for that matter until October 2022)?

Have done DEL-NRT/HND(J) and NDRT/HND-LAX/SFO(F) before. Now nothing seen out of DEL to TYO any more until October 2022. Is it likely to change? Trying to get out of either DEL/BOM/BLR in third week of May to TYO (no stopver needed/possible/aware of this). Help?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Have done DEL-NRT/HND(J) and NDRT/HND-LAX/SFO(F) before. Now nothing seen out of DEL to TYO any more until October 2022. Is it likely to change? Trying to get out of either DEL/BOM/BLR in third week of May to TYO (no stopver needed/possible/aware of this). Help?
Something may pop up close in but who knows?

Since you do not need a stop perhaps Qatar J? DEL-LAX 85k May 16th, 24th, 25th, 26th ?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:55 am

Actually, today you have a chance. It is complicated, #1 because AS has a bug that they will not show mixed cabin F/J JL awards, #2 that DEL-TYO award space is only available as married segments in May, #3 because F to SFO and LAX is only available from HND and DEL-HND in MAY only operated 3x/week.

Since DEL-TYO has no F and AS won't show mixed F/J awards on JL you will not find an F award directly.

What you should be able to do today (if you only need 1 seat) is:
1) Book online 5/18 JL DEL-LAX (DEL-HND in J, HND-LAX in Y) (Note: HND-LAX departs on 5/19)
2) Call AS and without mentioning your existing reservation have them search for HND-LAX on 5/19 (1F available right now)
3) After they confirm 1F is available HND-LAX tell them you want to change your existing reservation leg to use that.

If get a good agent they can handle it.
kalderlake and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Actually, today you have a chance. It is complicated, #1 because AS has a bug that they will not show mixed cabin F/J JL awards, #2 that DEL-TYO award space is only available as married segments in May, #3 because F to SFO and LAX is only available from HND and DEL-HND in MAY only operated 3x/week.

Since DEL-TYO has no F and AS won't show mixed F/J awards on JL you will not find an F award directly.

What you should be able to do today (if you only need 1 seat) is:
1) Book online 5/18 JL DEL-LAX (DEL-HND in J, HND-LAX in Y) (Note: HND-LAX departs on 5/19)
2) Call AS and without mentioning your existing reservation have them search for HND-LAX on 5/19 (1F available right now)
3) After they confirm 1F is available HND-LAX tell them you want to change your existing reservation leg to use that.

If get a good agent they can handle it.
Thank you Doing this for May 27/28 which just showed up. Got the #1 done. Will try #2/#3 later today.
Really wanted BOM to PHX. Think will bite the bullet and put down 85K+100 on Qatar biz if change my mind. Hope they dont keep the 12.50 partner award fee if I do..
Its decision between JAL Biz/First at 70K+70 + BOM-DEL + LAX-PHX extra flights (done before)/miles vs QR 85K+100 point to point (not done before)

Last edited by FT-hss; Mar 29, 2022 at 7:00 am Reason: thoughts
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:46 am

Thank you Doing this for May 27/28 which just showed up. Got the #1 done. Will try #2/#3 later today.
Really wanted BOM to PHX. Think will bite the bullet and put down 85K+100 on Qatar biz if change my mind. Hope they dont keep the 12.50 partner award fee if I do..
Its decision between JAL Biz/First at 70K+70 + BOM-DEL + LAX-PHX extra flights (done before)/miles vs QR 85K+100 point to point (not done before)
Do not wait on #'s 2 and 3. Space could be taken by someone else at any time. Do it ASAP once you have #1 booked.

To be clear, You have to confirm the F space is available from TYO-LAX on the date you need it (the day your flight from India arrives in TYO) before booking #1. If F space is not available there is no point in booking #1. I think you know this but I did not explicitly point that out in my previous post since for the date I checked I confirmed there was F space.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Not sure what to do...

I booked JAL flight #4 in F using 70k Alaska miles for August 12 HND-JFK. Pulling up my reservation, it says ticketed but if you go through a dummy booking, I don't see flight #4 listed for sale. I also don't see it for sale on AA. I did notice that JAL says flight #4 is suspended at least through the end of July. Should I be worried? Should I call Alaska to see if they'll move me to flight #6?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Alaska won’t change my flight so I guess I have to wait to see if Japan reopens for tourism and JAL restores flight #4.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:37 pm

Yes, it has been discussed a few times in this thread.

You can book a mixed class F/J Asia itinerary for 75k but there is an AS system bug that does not find these mixed class itineraries when searching and agents will usually not be able to book it directly either if the website does not show it. You need to implement the workarounds found in this thread to get this booked given the AS system bug. In the simplest case you book the F segment first online then call in to add the J segment. This works unless the J segment is restricted to married segment availability in which case there is a slightly more involved procedure required.
Hi there - could you please elaborate what the slightly more involved procedure is to book the J segment and add it in an existing F segment from HND to JFK? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

@OrganicCannabis Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by OrganicCannabis
Hi there - could you please elaborate what the slightly more involved procedure is to book the J segment and add it in an existing F segment from HND to JFK? Thanks in advance!
If the J segment is not married (you find availability for it by itself on the AS website) all you have to do is call in and ask an agent to add it to your existing F segment (you do not book a separate J segment, you call to add the J segment to your existing F award). If the J segment is married and does not show up by itself but does show up married to another segment then you should have booked that first and then added the F segment (see my post to FT-hss describing this case a few posts back) that is the more complicated case.

If the new J segment you want to add to your existing F award is restricted to married segment availability (you accidentally booked the wrong way) then you are in a bit of a quandary. If the history of the route is such that at some point J space becomes unmarried then you can wait until it becomes unmarried and then add it. This carries some risk that unmarried space may never open.

In theory, and I have never done this with AS although I think AA can handle it, if you can prove that there is married J award space available and you are booking it to a connection of 24 hours or less, you should be able to ask an agent (would have to be an extremely qualified agent) to basically "long sell" it, manually add the flight you want to your booking and request JAL to confirm the space. My read of this forum leads me to believe AS agents may have done this a decade ago but now all front line agents are told not to do this. You would probably have to get a supervisor to override the standard procedures and they would have to have a very strong case from you as to why they should do so. It may be possible, but I suspect it will be very difficult. Maybe I am wrong. I would prepare my case showing there is married availability and HUCA a few times to attempt it but it would be easier in this case to rebook the married J segment first and then add it to an F award showing on the website.
nort likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Mar 30, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.