Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020 and Later)

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020 and Later)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 22, 22, 12:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Quail
Wiki Link
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 22, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
So, you are able to find awards but the booking process fails?
sorry I meant they removed JL as a whole. I looked from ORD/JFK to NRT from fall to early next year and nothing .
Old Mar 9, 22, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
I just checked Alaska's website and JL awards are still there, so it must be lack of available award seats for whatever dates you are checking. Try Jan 24, 2023 for example - flights from ORD, JFK are all available in economy and business.
Cthunder86 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jch636 View Post
I just checked Alaska's website and JL awards are still there, so it must be lack of available award seats for whatever dates you are checking. Try Jan 24, 2023 for example - flights from ORD, JFK are all available in economy and business.
Via connections through other cities, yes. Non-stop - no. No non-stop JL on the schedule ORD-NRT or NYC-NRT in January, only to HND.

Originally Posted by Cthunder86 View Post
sorry I meant they removed JL as a whole. I looked from ORD/JFK to NRT from fall to early next year and nothing .
Perhaps you were not aware there are two airports in Tokyo? NRT and HND both serve Tokyo and JAL does not fly non-stops from ORD or JFK to NRT in January, only to HND. So if you are looking for non-stops to NRT from those cities you won't find any. Search using the city code TYO for your destination which will search for both NRT and HND, or search only for HND and you should see the non-stop availability. If you really need to land in NRT instead of HND then, as jch636 mentions, you should be able to find routings on many days via connections.
Old Mar 9, 22, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Im not sure what I was doing earlier but I tried it again later and everything was normal. Thanks guys
Old Mar 12, 22, 2:02 pm

First time using AS for JAL. So please pardon my ignorance. Randomly found availability for DFW-BLR (India) in May 2021 for 4 (35k miles each and $32 in fees). I didn't book it but went till the payment page.
Then realized I can do a stopover in Tokyo and searched a multi-city based on the below dates from May 18 (DFW to NRT) and May 24 (NRT to BLR) to take advantage of the layover. But searching this way these routes did not show up at all. I search each of these 2 legs separately and then didn't show up too. what am I missing? Any suggestions please?

Old Mar 12, 22, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Maybe not enough award space? Be aware currently you cannot visit Japan for tourist purposes. I don't think that will change by May so you risk the whole trip falling apart.

I search for just 1 ticket NRT-BLR and not even available for 1 seat.
RJ5929 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 22, 9:40 pm

I just checked it still shows a through fare but not with a stop-over option in Tokyo. Without a stop over option, I see all 4 award tickets available from DFW to BLR
Tokyo. I just got off with AS CSR and she couldn't do much. She said "may be that route is offered as a through fare to AS by JAL". Nothing she can do.

Last edited by RJ5929; Mar 12, 22 at 9:48 pm
Old Mar 12, 22, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by RJ5929 View Post
I just checked it still shows a through fare but not with a stop-over option in Tokyo. Without a stop over option, I see all 4 award tickets available from DFW to BLR
Tokyo. I just got off with AS CSR and she couldn't do much. She said "may be that route is offered as a through fare to AS by JAL". Nothing she can do.
married flights? Seems likely.
RJ5929 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 22, 10:21 pm

This is married segment availability. Doing a little research- via AA search I can tell you that the NRT-BLR segment is only available when married to another JAL flight (like DFW-BLR via NRT). So you should be able to book a stopover in Tokyo by first booking DFW-BLR with no stopover, making sure that the NRT-BLR segment is on the date you want to travel to BLR. After ticketing, you should then be able to call back and ask them to change the date on the DFW-NRT flight to an earlier date which will create your stopover (the DFW-NRT flight is not restricted, only the NRT-BLR is married). You must, of course, find award availability for all your passengers on the day you want to move the DFW-NRT flight to.

That said, at this point in time, unless you are a Japanese citizen and allowed to enter Japan with their current Covid restrictions there is no way I would book a stopover in Japan this May. You would be risking your trip. If you booked with a stopover and Japan was not open to you, you would not be allowed to travel at all with a stopover. You would need to rebook as a connection which would necessitate you either finding last minute award availability (possible but without researching the likelihood I would not risk my trip on it) or pleading with AS to contact their JAL liaison to have them open availability (there is a fair chance they would take pity on you and accommodate you but do you want to bet your trip on it?).
estnet, RJ5929, kalderlake and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 22, 11:48 am

Cant book JAL domestic

Hi all, I cant seem to get Hnd-cts (trying to book sin-Hnd-cts) to book thru on any date even though availability seems ample.. sin-Hnd works fine. I understand there was some booking class issue with JAL domestic flights, is there any work around?
Old Mar 13, 22, 12:15 pm

This is married segment availability. Doing a little research- via AA search I can tell you that the NRT-BLR segment is only available when married to another JAL flight (like DFW-BLR via NRT). So you should be able to book a stopover in Tokyo by first booking DFW-BLR with no stopover, making sure that the NRT-BLR segment is on the date you want to travel to BLR. After ticketing, you should then be able to call back and ask them to change the date on the DFW-NRT flight to an earlier date which will create your stopover (the DFW-NRT flight is not restricted, only the NRT-BLR is married). You must, of course, find award availability for all your passengers on the day you want to move the DFW-NRT flight to.

That said, at this point in time, unless you are a Japanese citizen and allowed to enter Japan with their current Covid restrictions there is no way I would book a stopover in Japan this May. You would be risking your trip. If you booked with a stopover and Japan was not open to you, you would not be allowed to travel at all with a stopover. You would need to rebook as a connection which would necessitate you either finding last minute award availability (possible but without researching the likelihood I would not risk my trip on it) or pleading with AS to contact their JAL liaison to have them open availability (there is a fair chance they would take pity on you and accommodate you but do you want to bet your trip on it?).
Thanks so much. Lot of info to help me understand how it works. Will ignore stopover for now and book normally. If visa restrictions change and tickets available all I have to do is call back and modify the itinerary. AS has no change/cancel fee for award travel anyway.
Old Mar 13, 22, 12:33 pm

Just noticed on JAL website that NRT to BLR is suspended. Should I be worried or book (with option to cancel) and keep looking for other options?
Old Mar 13, 22, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by straits38 View Post
Hi all, I cant seem to get Hnd-cts (trying to book sin-Hnd-cts) to book thru on any date even though availability seems ample.. sin-Hnd works fine. I understand there was some booking class issue with JAL domestic flights, is there any work around?
When you say you can't get it to "book thru" does that mean you find availability just fine but are unable to complete the booking online? If so calling in may help.

I see plenty of availability online SIN-HND and SIN-CTS. Are you trying to book a stopover in HND, because that may require a workaround. The website does not seem to handle that for this route on dates I checked.
Old Mar 13, 22, 12:36 pm

Just noticed on JAL website that NRT to BLR is suspended. Should I be worried or book (with option to cancel) and keep looking for other options?
If that is true then, yes. You should be worried but more options are always better so I would book it if you can (you might not be able to if it is cancelled) and look for other options.

Edited to add:
Just Googled and found a news story saying India will drop its 2 year International flight ban on March 27th so perhaps you will be OK (JAL may resume flights).
RJ5929 likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Mar 13, 22 at 12:41 pm
Old Mar 13, 22, 12:52 pm

If that is true then, yes. You should be worried but more options are always better so I would book it if you can (you might not be able to if it is cancelled) and look for other options.

Edited to add:
Just Googled and found a news story saying India will drop its 2 year International flight ban on March 27th so perhaps you will be OK (JAL may resume flights).
Thanks, just booked it. ban removal date correlates with flight availability from early April (nothing in march).

any suggestions to find return tickets for 4 (during July) from BLR/MAA/HYD to DFW (1-stop) using AS/AA/chase/Amex? I see BA through LHR (comes with fees) and qatar (140k flight/oneway).

Search this Thread