Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020 and Later)

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020 and Later)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 22, 22, 12:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Quail
Wiki Link
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 27, 22, 1:57 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
was it showing up as available on AS site, or they gave you a revenue seat, but still coded as A? Everytime I get involuntary rebooks, I kinda get excited especially when cabin is F.
AS had to ask JL to free up a revenue seat for award booking in my case - which the AS agent didn't think they'd agree to but luckily he was wrong. Maybe b/c for the time being first class is almost empty most days The only time the mistake you mentioned happened to me was a LOT of years ago on a domestic flight.
Old Feb 27, 22, 2:01 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by reggiekush View Post
Yes, there is a 777 on that route as well as BKK-HND. Ive flown it a couple of times recently, seat is F but service is J.
Thanks.
I was hoping this was the case - very happy to have the nicer seat and IME the food in business was pretty good, just not the super good champagne I guess Interesting that apparently they've taken what used to be on the sfo-tyo route and put it on the shorter tyo-bkk route. Lucky for me!
Old Feb 27, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: NH Plat, DL Gold, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
AS had to ask JL to free up a revenue seat for award booking in my case - which the AS agent didn't think they'd agree to but luckily he was wrong. Maybe b/c for the time being first class is almost empty most days The only time the mistake you mentioned happened to me was a LOT of years ago on a domestic flight.
I don't know if it was a 'mistake' to assign revenue fare class for a seat like that.

I have a lot of experience of getting rebooked (especially last 2 years!), when they rebook me on their own metals (e.g. AC Aeroplan rebooking on AC, DL Skymiles rebooking on DL, etc), it's been always in the same award fare class, but when they rebook me to revenue seats on their partner airlines, when partner award seats are all exhausted, they've been always on revenue fare classes.

AS MileagePlan still offers great values to certain airlilne partners, but one of their weakest points is that they have much less power than other FFP to rebook you on their partner airlines in situations like yours. All other programs I know, they'll rebook you almost no matter what, unless seats are truly sold out. For example, CX flights that I booked with my AS miles when CX canceled them months in advance: AS didn't help me getting rebooked at all, even when other partner award seats are available, they wanted the difference in miles and fees (QR j costs a lot more than CX F does), and unwilling to open up revenue seats on other partner airlines. While it was just a bummer to give up my trip, it'd be scary if this happened when I'm trying to go home, and had to scramble with other FFPs or cash fares.
Old Feb 27, 22, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
AS didn't help me getting rebooked at all, even when other partner award seats are available, they wanted the difference in miles and fees (QR j costs a lot more than CX F does), and unwilling to open up revenue seats on other partner airlines. While it was just a bummer to give up my trip, it'd be scary if this happened when I'm trying to go home, and had to scramble with other FFPs or cash fares.
What about QR Y? That’s a refund of miles if there’s saver Y.

This always seems to be the thing, oddly enough nobody who is cashing in AS miles at favorable rates for J/F in their charts wants to accept Y as a potential way to travel in IROPS (and CX has been a continuous disaster this whole time), even though Y’s gotten millions of passengers home over the years. Quite a mystery, that.

(Also, you get the good part of AS having a partner based chart when things are right and CX is a bargain, but AA awards cost identical miles if it’s QR or BA taking you to India, or JL/CX to SE Asia, or whatever…)

I’m not shocked JL did AS a solid, it’s way easier to go “you made a problem for our customer, JL, can you fix it” than for to some other airline and go “CX made a problem for us, QR can you fix it, even though it’s not your problem” or “sure, we’re buying you a J revenue ticket”.
estnet and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 28, 22, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Are standard awards to Japan limited in booking availability? I'm looking for flights to Japan July to, with a return in August of this summer. I see availability on JAL:
  • SEA to NRT in July, but nothing available on the return (NRT to SEA) the entire month of August.
  • SEA to NRT in Jun, with availability on the return (NRT to SEA) up until July 20th and nothing thereafter.

Does that mean Main cabin will open up tomorrow to July 21st and eventually into Aug? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 22, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Medallion, Alaskan MVP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Is it possible to select seats after booking JAL using Alaska miles? I have a JAL membership account, and am attempting to select seats online, but haven't figured it out yet. Anyone know if this is possible, or if I have to call?

Successfully booked SIN-NRT-SEA in Biz for January 2023 at 65k Alaska miles per person!
Old Mar 2, 22, 10:51 am

Hi -

Yes you can. You will need the JL record locator (found under your AS locator on your confirmation page).

When you access the website, enter as a guest, don't use your JL FF#. Have your flight information ready, including the locator. Go to "Manage booking" and you can select a seat.
Old Mar 2, 22, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Medallion, Alaskan MVP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
Hi -

Yes you can. You will need the JL record locator (found under your AS locator on your confirmation page).

When you access the website, enter as a guest, don't use your JL FF#. Have your flight information ready, including the locator. Go to "Manage booking" and you can select a seat.
Thank you! Figured it out!

Next question...Any idea if JAL is blocking Skysuites in Biz on their 787s? Looking at the seatmap, all Skysuites against the window (row A and H) are blocked/taken. Attached a photo, and figured it's so far out that these seats can't actually all be booked, but are instead blocked by JAL?
Old Mar 2, 22, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I believe you need to be OWE to access the window seats. I have a 25% confidence level in my statement, because I can't remember where I heard/read this.
Old Mar 2, 22, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark Garretson View Post
Thank you! Figured it out!

Next question...Any idea if JAL is blocking Skysuites in Biz on their 787s? Looking at the seatmap, all Skysuites against the window (row A and H) are blocked/taken. Attached a photo, and figured it's so far out that these seats can't actually all be booked, but are instead blocked by JAL?

I found an article from 2019 that went through what you went through. Apparently the window seats are blocked by fare class. Not sure about having to be OWE to be able to select those seats but on my JAL J seats on the 777 (later cancelled and rebooked as F), the JAL rep mentioned that 1A, 1K, J mini cabin and the first couple rows in the bigger cabin are blocked for elite members.

https://www.seat31b.com/2019/07/jal-...award-tickets/
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 2, 22, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ficklepickles View Post
Are standard awards to Japan limited in booking availability? I'm looking for flights to Japan July to, with a return in August of this summer. I see availability on JAL:
  • SEA to NRT in July, but nothing available on the return (NRT to SEA) the entire month of August.
  • SEA to NRT in Jun, with availability on the return (NRT to SEA) up until July 20th and nothing thereafter.

Does that mean Main cabin will open up tomorrow to July 21st and eventually into Aug? Thanks!
Wow, you are a die-hard! Main Cabin!

Availability does not necessarily bump day by day.

You have identified a trend! There is almost no Main Cabin award availability from TYO to the US in August. It may open later. Do you have miles to book Business for the return? There is some Business availability. There is also some Premium Economy but that is not accessible via AS miles.
Old Mar 2, 22, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by xjaehyun View Post
I found an article from 2019 that went through what you went through. Apparently the window seats are blocked by fare class. Not sure about having to be OWE to be able to select those seats but on my JAL J seats on the 777 (later cancelled and rebooked as F), the JAL rep mentioned that 1A, 1K, J mini cabin and the first couple rows in the bigger cabin are blocked for elite members.

https://www.seat31b.com/2019/07/jal-...award-tickets/
I'm OWE and its blocked on my booking as well.
Old Mar 2, 22, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVPG
Personal experience from a few weeks ago - blocked window seats will become available around t-48 hour mark.

Obviously no idea how loads will be in a few months from now, but both of mine (intra-Asia and then out to JFK) had a max of 35 pax on them, so basically pick of the cabin.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Im not able to book any awards with JAL (economy or business). Did something happen?
Old Mar 9, 22, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Cthunder86 View Post
Im not able to book any awards with JAL (economy or business). Did something happen?
So, you are able to find awards but the booking process fails?

Search this Thread