Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Not sure if this has to do with the staffing challenges. But called in to add NRT-BKK to a PDX-SEA-NRT J award I made last summer. Agent was really confused at first and was sure it wasn’t possible. I saw the right award space so gently pressed on. Finally she must’ve seen the right thing. Then quoted double the miles I knew I’d need, then corrected herself.

There was also a greater than one hour schedule change on the PDX-SEA. Asked to move to a better option without a six hour layover in Seattle. Was told a hard no. Decided not to argue. After adding BKK segments added I hung up and chatted to fix PDX-SEA shuttle and the chat agent got it done quickly.
estnet and eponymous_coward like this.

Last edited by williwaw; Feb 13, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:23 am

for schedule changes, is it possible to get JL to reroute even if there is no award availability? looks like JL trimmed HND-ORD... any chance JL will rebook to HND-JFK? AS told me they can only rebook if there are open spaces...
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by xtremester
for schedule changes, is it possible to get JL to reroute even if there is no award availability? looks like JL trimmed HND-ORD... any chance JL will rebook to HND-JFK? AS told me they can only rebook if there are open spaces...
Unfortunately, what you were told by the rep is correct, AS will only rebook if there are open spaces. You can try to nudge AS to have them request JL open up seats, but more often than not this method won't go far as it's on JL to open up the spaces.

JL will be able to reroute once the ticket is under their control, usually after the check in window starts, but by then, plans would have been solidified that I don't know if you'll benefit from the direct to JFK.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
I've been looking at some ORD-HND-KIX/ITM and back awards for Late Dec/Early Jan. Outgoing with stopover, return with layover. Availability pops up, but it won't ticket online or via the agent. I've tried all J, all Y, mixed cabin. Searching on AA, the ITM/KIX options seems to not pop up, but they do on BA. I've been able to get the long haul segments locked in, so maybe something funky going on with intra-Japan on JL? Or am I doing something wrong when speaking to the agent?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zdfld
I've been looking at some ORD-HND-KIX/ITM and back awards for Late Dec/Early Jan. Outgoing with stopover, return with layover. Availability pops up, but it won't ticket online or via the agent. I've tried all J, all Y, mixed cabin. Searching on AA, the ITM/KIX options seems to not pop up, but they do on BA. I've been able to get the long haul segments locked in, so maybe something funky going on with intra-Japan on JL? Or am I doing something wrong when speaking to the agent?
It could be a number of things causing the problem. Most likely either an Alaska IT coding issue or married segments. Are your TPAC's in J?

To start off since Alaska has some issues with these itineraries I would be booking them as two one-ways. You are asking for double trouble if you are trying to fix problems on a round trip ticket. Are you booked as a round trip?

It does not seem like it should be married segments since I am able to get AA to show availability with a stopover in December so the most likely is an Alaska IT coding issue which could be hard to get around. I do notice that JAL is running all widebodies, on the couple of dates I looked, between HND and ITM. If these widebodies actually have true Business Class instead of the fake Business "Class J" that JAL used to run then the class code may be different, screwing up Alaska's poor IT. Try booking HND-KIX which seems to be 737's to see if that works.

If the Alaska website is showing availability and it will not allow you to book it you should push to get this escalated to some department in Alaska that will fix it. If it is real availability they should (but I do not know if they will) manually book it for you.

Call during Seattle Business Hours and if you can show availability on their website that the agent cannot book for you then ask them to ask a supervisor if they can help get it done, stressing the facts: availability shows on the website but is not able to be booked online so this is an Alaska problem and you would greatly appreciate their assistance in resolving it.
zdfld likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:09 pm

The TPAC is economy out, business back, but I had the issue either way. (Initially booked J for TPAC out, stopover, than J/Y for HND-KIX, no dice)
​​​​​

I haven't yet tried booking just the TYP-OSA segment yet (didn't want to eat a partner booking fee), I'll try calling in again and escalating. When I called in, the agent made it sound like it could JL not releasing seats correctly.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Like ​​​​​skimthetrees said, try booking as 2 oneways.

I just tried searching as multicity online, with this almost 24hrs layover, it seems bookable. So maybe try booking something like this online first, then swap TYO-OSA leg to your desired (and available) date? By the way, I find online changes are pretty powerful lately, but failing that, you can call Alaska. I recently made a change with NRT-CGK segment online, booked as YVR-CGK AS JL combo.

Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
-
It does not seem like it should be married segments
If the Alaska website is showing availability and it will t.
I agree, I don't think this is married segments, either, because when I search HND-ITM on AS site, it returns a ton of availabilities Y and J for January. I haven't checked aircraft types, though.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc
Like ​​​​​skimthetrees said, try booking as 2 oneways.

I just tried searching as multicity online, with this almost 24hrs layover, it seems bookable. So maybe try booking something like this online first, then swap TYO-OSA leg to your desired (and available) date? By the way, I find online changes are pretty powerful lately, but failing that, you can call Alaska. I recently made a change with NRT-CGK segment online, booked as YVR-CGK AS JL combo.
I've been able to get that far, but when I click book it errors out. I forgot to mention this, but over the phone with an agent, they tried booking as two one ways. ORD-HND, no issue. HND-KIX they were getting the errors, even trying multiple different times in J and Y.

The online tool is pretty useful, I wish it would let me add segments though! That would be super helpful.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: SoftServe, PP, Visa Buxx, So many cards
I booked ORD-NRT-SIN on JAL, biz seats. I was wondering if it was possible to add a domestic leg before the JAL ticket? Like LGA-ORD-NRT-SIN on the same ticket? Seems like AS is gonna tell me they can't do this?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dsr1205
I booked ORD-NRT-SIN on JAL, biz seats. I was wondering if it was possible to add a domestic leg before the JAL ticket? Like LGA-ORD-NRT-SIN on the same ticket? Seems like AS is gonna tell me they can't do this?
You can only add AS segment in front. So SEA/LAX/SFO. If you want to add AA flight you need to book using AA miles.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
You can only add AS segment in front. So SEA/LAX/SFO. If you want to add AA flight you need to book using AA miles.
Not necessarily - I've had combo AA and JL on an AS award ticket.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
This guy is asking about adding a segment to an existing reservation. You can't add AA segment. Maybe just don't post instead of spreading falsehood.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
AFAIK, AS will not let you mix partners yet, except for some codeshare exceptions.

They could maybe book a separate AA ticket using AS miles, but I don't think that's what they're looking for.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:06 pm

I've been able to get that far, but when I click book it errors out. I forgot to mention this, but over the phone with an agent, they tried booking as two one ways. ORD-HND, no issue. HND-KIX they were getting the errors, even trying multiple different times in J and Y.
Called Alaska a couple times today, got the same partner agent twice. First time they tried manually adding HND-KIX, did not work. Second time, I asked the agent about the fare code difference (S for domestic, T for TPAC was suggested in the AA thread). Agent said it used to be like that, but the current manual states only T for all economy bookings, U for all business, A for all first class. However, she could only see A (with zero availability), U and T weren't displaying. I didn't want to push any further, the agent did say they've reported it as an issue to be fixed.

Searching this thread, I couldn't find much recent discussion about J or Y class fare code. Maybe I missed something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.