Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is it possible to book mixed-cabin itineraries where one of the segments doesn't have First Class? Looking to book ORD-NRT-BKK and seeing the availability on the American website (ORD-NRT in First, NRT-BKK in Business) but it does not come up on the Alaska website. I can see ORD-NRT in First Class separately, but it doesn't show up when searching both segments together.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zeer0
Is it possible to book mixed-cabin itineraries where one of the segments doesn't have First Class? Looking to book ORD-NRT-BKK and seeing the availability on the American website (ORD-NRT in First, NRT-BKK in Business) but it does not come up on the Alaska website. I can see ORD-NRT in First Class separately, but it doesn't show up when searching both segments together.
There is some website bug that folks have run into in the past where mixed cabin itineraries don't always show. You can read more about peoples' experiences in this thread. Book the First Class to NRT then call in to add NRT BKK. It will help if you can point them to an itinerary with the segment you want in Business otherwise a lazy agent may tend to dismiss it as not available rather than an AS bug.

I will provide a made up example to help clarify:

You want to travel ORD-BKK 1/9. No First showing when searching ORD-BKK. First Shows ORD-NRT on 1/9.

Book ORD-NRT 1/9 in First Class (arrives NRT 1/10) on the website.

Use the AS website search to find any trip that shows Business Class on 1/10 from NRT-BKK on the flight you want. Could be ORD-BKK on 1/9. Or LAX-BKK on 1/9. Or even multi-city, ORD-NRT in Y on 11/21, stopover, NRT-BKK in J on 1/10. The key is to get the NRT-BKK flight you want on 1/10 to show business availability to the AS agent. You are not booking this trip you are just using it to show the agent that AS shows Business Class availability in J from NRT-BKK on 1/10 on the flight you need to connect to BKK on.

Call AS and ask them to add the NRT-BKK flight in Business Class. If they say it is not available have them search the above route you found showing it is available and ask them to check with a supervisor to see if they can book it since it clearly has availability.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There is some website bug that folks have run into in the past where mixed cabin itineraries don't always show. You can read more about peoples' experiences in this thread. Book the First Class to NRT then call in to add NRT BKK. It will help if you can point them to an itinerary with the segment you want in Business otherwise a lazy agent may tend to dismiss it as not available rather than an AS bug.

I will provide a made up example to help clarify:

You want to travel ORD-BKK 1/9. No First showing when searching ORD-BKK. First Shows ORD-NRT on 1/9.

Book ORD-NRT 1/9 in First Class (arrives NRT 1/10) on the website.

Use the AS website search to find any trip that shows Business Class on 1/10 from NRT-BKK on the flight you want. Could be ORD-BKK on 1/9. Or LAX-BKK on 1/9. Or even multi-city, ORD-NRT in Y on 11/21, stopover, NRT-BKK in J on 1/10. The key is to get the NRT-BKK flight you want on 1/10 to show business availability to the AS agent. You are not booking this trip you are just using it to show the agent that AS shows Business Class availability in J from NRT-BKK on 1/10 on the flight you need to connect to BKK on.

Call AS and ask them to add the NRT-BKK flight in Business Class. If they say it is not available have them search the above route you found showing it is available and ask them to check with a supervisor to see if they can book it since it clearly has availability.
That is a super helpful explanation!! Thank you very much for laying it all out. Going to try this out.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Alaska
If I remember it correctly, you can see first class by changing the reservation if it is available.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:47 am

Booked ORD-NRT-BKK earlier this week using the instructions above and it was really simple. Booked ORT-NRT by itself and then called in to have the NRT-BKK segment added, which took 5 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Booked ORD-NRT-BKK earlier this week using the instructions above and it was really simple. Booked ORT-NRT by itself and then called in to have the NRT-BKK segment added, which took 5 minutes.
how much more miles did it cost you?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by KuBear
how much more miles did it cost you?
75,000 miles, and minimal taxes (under $50)

Only 5,000 more miles for 7 more hours of flying, seems like a good deal.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:30 am

If I can see an award available on AA search but not AS can I call into book with AS?

Last edited by desafino; Nov 13, 2021 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by desafino
If I can see an award available on AA search but not AS can I call into book with AS?
You can call, but don't expect success. Airlines have different agreements, even within an alliance. The best option is to use the AS website and plan to spend time doing repeated searches. The multi-city tool is most helpful.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by desafino
There are awards that aren’t allowed on AS (for instance, Japan/Australia) that would be allowed on AA. If it’s not allowed on the AS the chart it’s not allowed.

FWIW agents are using the website to book for you, so you may be wasting your time.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by HariOm
For a passenger with no AS/OW status, with a biz award on JL, is T-24 still the earliest chance to reserve a window seat?
I don't have AS/OW status currently and was able to reserve a window seat using the JL record locator immediately after booking fwiw.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:28 am

Could anyone help update me on when to expect availability? One seat at T+360, then more seats at T+24?

EDIT: This is for JFK-HND if that matters (trying to get 2 seats)
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by sneamia
Could anyone help update me on when to expect availability? One seat at T+360, then more seats at T+24?

EDIT: This is for JFK-HND if that matters (trying to get 2 seats)
As of today, 1F award at T-360 (not bookable by AS until it comes into the AS booking window around T-330), The rest become available around T-12 days at which point JAL can make the remaining unsold inventory available for awards. In between there are no new partner awards released. I found one anomaly day 1/28 where it looked like maybe one extra award seat might have been released but my guess is that it was not and the reason it is available is that the other taken F seat was a paid ticket and 1F award is separate from the 1F paid seat.

Of course, that is what it is like today. No one knows what it will be like tomorrow or next year.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Nov 16, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
As of today, 1F award at T-360 (not bookable by AS until it comes into the AS booking window around T-330), The rest become available around T-12 days at which point JAL can make the remaining unsold inventory available for awards. In between there is no new partner awards released. I found one anomaly day 1/28 where it looked like maybe one extra award seat might have been released but my guess is that it was not and the reason it is available is that the other taken F seat was a paid ticket and 1F award is separate from the 1F paid seat.

Of course, that is what it is like today. No one knows what it will be like tomorrow or next year.
Thank you!
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Today I booked JFK-HND in F on JAL5 for October 2022. I saw some dates open in between January and October of next year but they were all JAL3 which leaves at 1:45am.

Can I wait to call in to book a connecting leg to another city in SEAsia later next year or should I just do it now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.