Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by desafino
noob here - do I always have the option to roll my booking forward? I am trying to book as far into '22 as possible to ensure I can actually go, and I'd like to get ahead of any potential OW devaluation. Should I just book for May now and roll forward later this year?
You can only rebook up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date which gives you about a month of slack to roll it forward if you book 11 months out so this won't buy you much.

Alaska has claimed that they will give notice before changing their award charts so I would take them at their word (for 6 months or so) and not be overly concerned about rolling forward a month at a time, especially since it sounds like your dates are flexible.
desafino likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Horrible and it's not the first time they have done it. The workaround for finding space in the last 5 days of the calendar is to search for a round trip. Of course the only way to book this 5 days of limbo is to book a round trip, otherwise you will have to wait for the 5 days of limbo to pass. May 18th JL one-way flights will show up in 5 days. May 14th flights will show up tomorrow.
Ahh, I didn't know about the 5 days of limbo. Great tip, thanks for all of your help.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I see Business availability ORD-HND showing up for May 11 and 12 (which is closer to your 5/15 target).

I think I see the issue you are running in to. When you search for a one-way flight on JL the results only go up through May 13th (right now when I just searched) even though the AS calendar runs through May 18th so there are 5 days between when AA shows the JL flights to when they show up on AS. Horrible and it's not the first time they have done it. The workaround for finding space in the last 5 days of the calendar is to search for a round trip. Of course the only way to book this 5 days of limbo is to book a round trip, otherwise you will have to wait for the 5 days of limbo to pass. May 18th JL one-way flights will show up in 5 days. May 14th flights will show up tomorrow.
There is another trick to book the 5-day limbo by doing calendar search and then select the date. It will force the “limbo” date to appear. Not applicable to multi-city.

e.g
jjangoo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by freed0m
There is another trick to book the 5-day limbo by doing calendar search and then select the date. It will force the “limbo” date to appear. Not applicable to multi-city.

e.g
Right, good tip, freed0m. I thought I tried that but obviously not.

Originally Posted by jjangoo
Ahh, I didn't know about the 5 days of limbo. Great tip, thanks for all of your help.
I would probably use the calendar trick to book ORD-SIN now in the limbo zone and then use the online change flight tool after limbo (it might be worth it to try before) to keep ORD-HND but change the date on HND-SIN.
jjangoo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
I can confirm F award space has returned to normal. I was able to directly book a seat on HND-LAX in April '22 (after confirming the space was real on JAL first). Of course, I'll probably have to wait for T-14 to book the second seat I need...
Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Nice!

Now the question is will it be "normal" enough to take a trip in early December....
socalgecko likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I have searched for this and can't figure out how to add/link my AS status to JAL award booking so I can select a J window seat. What is the easiest way to add my AS number to the JAL ticket (assuming OW Sapphire will do the trick...)
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by williwaw
I have searched for this and can't figure out how to add/link my AS status to JAL award booking so I can select a J window seat. What is the easiest way to add my AS number to the JAL ticket (assuming OW Sapphire will do the trick...)
Go to the JAL website and select "MANAGE FLIGHT BOOKING", From there you enter the flight details (be sure to have the JL PNR). This will take you to the reservation record. Then select "RELATED SERVICES" under "Passenger & Contact Information". At the top of the next page will be where you enter the FF information, followed by the usual contact information.
dayone and allset2travel like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Go to the JAL website and select "MANAGE FLIGHT BOOKING", From there you enter the flight details (be sure to have the JL PNR). This will take you to the reservation record. Then select "RELATED SERVICES" under "Passenger & Contact Information". At the top of the next page will be where you enter the FF information, followed by the usual contact information.
Thank you - I missed that little box - thank you!!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
can't book JAL first to BKK award ticket

I can find sfo-tyo in first, but when I try to book sfo - bkk the same flight only shows business. (should be first to tyo then business to bkk). If I do multi-city and book the flight that is available in First do an x day stopover and a later date tyo-bkk the same thing happens.
I can book the same flight (day) sfo-tyo (F) then tyo-bkk (J) award on American, but there seems to be a bug not allowing 2 different classes when trying to book online with AS.
Of course hold times are impossible and booking the tickets separately on AS means 95k instead of 75k points.
Any help?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
I can find sfo-tyo in first, but when I try to book sfo - bkk the same flight only shows business. (should be first to tyo then business to bkk). If I do multi-city and book the flight that is available in First do an x day stopover and a later date tyo-bkk the same thing happens.
I can book the same flight (day) sfo-tyo (F) then tyo-bkk (J) award on American, but there seems to be a bug not allowing 2 different classes when trying to book online with AS.
Of course hold times are impossible and booking the tickets separately on AS means 95k instead of 75k points.
Any help?

have you tried to book SFO to TYO first in F, then adding TYO-BKK later?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Trying to book DEL-TYO-PHX in J. Don't care what class I get within US. But I am unable to find anything in saver level (60K). Best I found is DEL-NRT, day break, HND-SEA in J for 60K. But failing to find anything back to PHX. More than year ago, I caved in and bought separate ticket. Wonder if anything has imporoved finding AS metal saver award to connect back to PHX. Any help please?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Trying to book DEL-TYO-PHX in J. Don't care what class I get within US. But I am unable to find anything in saver level (60K). Best I found is DEL-NRT, day break, HND-SEA in J for 60K. But failing to find anything back to PHX. More than year ago, I caved in and bought separate ticket. Wonder if anything has imporoved finding AS metal saver award to connect back to PHX. Any help please?

which date are you looking at?

There is connection from SFO/LAX
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by freed0m
have you tried to book SFO to TYO first in F, then adding TYO-BKK later?
Not sure that can be done (have to rebook whole itin and F probably no longer available) , but it would involve talking to an agents which seems to be almost impossible at present
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Not sure that can be done (have to rebook whole itin and F probably no longer available) , but it would involve talking to an agents which seems to be almost impossible at present
There is a way to book on the website. But the stars have to align for it to happen.

When there is no availability for Y and J, but with F availability, you can book multi-city awards with F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.