Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:57 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Please forgive a nooby question, but: is it possible/advisable after checking in to call and upfare your ticket (e.g., R to K) in order to skip ahead in the upgrade list?
Upfaring is essentially buying a new ticket which resets your purchase date. That would result in you going to the end of the waitlist, not skipping ahead.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Upfaring is essentially buying a new ticket which resets your purchase date. That would result in you going to the end of the waitlist, not skipping ahead.
I did not know that someone who buys a K fare within 24 hours of departure would appear behind someone who bought an R fare months in advance. I guess I assumed the list was organized by fare class and then purchase date, always. Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I did not know that someone who buys a K fare within 24 hours of departure would appear behind someone who bought an R fare months in advance. I guess I assumed the list was organized by fare class and then purchase date, always. Thanks for sharing!
It's annoying... I didn't understand this until I bought a last-minute full fare Y ticket a couple of years ago and wondered why I ended up something like #5 on the waitlist. I thought, surely #1-4 can't all be 75k, also with full fare Y tickets, who all purchased before me.

Then I ran across an old thread where Missy explained this previously. #1-4 were likely all 75k, but they also almost certainly had bought tickets in lower fare classes. Basically, to take full advantage of 75k status and fare class, you have to be on the list by the time the T-5 day upgrade window opens (I don't believe any of the other major U.S. airlines do it this way).
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
12/6/30
PDX>PVR
AS296
Gold 75k and Gold
Fare class: T
Both Upgraded T-24 at check in

Last edited by brentyb; Dec 5, 2020 at 4:28 pm Reason: error
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
11/19/2020
HNL-SEA
AS 896
MVP, with companion MVP
Purchased Y during the first Russell Wilson sale (so mid-September, I think)
Didn't clear - #5 and #6 on the waitlist, I think

Additional details:

Purchased in Y since it was cheap thanks to 5 TD's by #3 that day. Auto-upgraded to PC within 5 minutes of purchase and we were waitlisted for F. From the "How Complimentary Upgrades Work" thread, since we were MVP and bought in Y, I think this means only 75k's could jump ahead of us on the waitlist (regardless of class purchased or when they purchased their tickets).

Anyway, at T-24 we still weren't upgraded, so I checked ExpertFlyer and it showed 6 seats (3 pairs) out of 12 still available in F. Tried checking the waitlist on the app, but it was greyed out for me. Also tried checking the waitlist on alaskaair.com, but couldn't find it anywhere. So I called the MVP line to inquire. They indicated we were #3 and #4 on the waitlist. Checked ExpertFlyer again at about T-21, and this time it showed one seat of each of the 3 previously-available pairs as now being occupied. Waitlist in the app still greyed out for me. Meant to call in again to ask what happened and how all 3 pairs were now occupied even though I was told I was #3 (presumably a 75k jumped ahead?). However, time got away from me that day and I never called back. I did check the app a few more times and each time, the waitlist was still greyed out for me.

Skip forward to the next day at the airport. At the checkin counter, I asked whether we were upgraded, and they indicated we were #5 and #6 on the waitlist. We went to the Plumeria lounge after that, but underestimated how far the lounge was from the gate, and by the time we got to the gate, boarding was nearly complete. So I didn't have time to ask about upgrade status. I did quickly check for a monitor with a waitlist, but didn't see any (but I suppose not surprising since this was HNL). As we boarded the plane, I was suprised to see that there was a 4th row in F. So I guess they swapped planes? Further, one pair in the 4th row was empty. So as I passed the flight attendant at the front of the plane, I mentioned that we were waitlisted in F and asked if the open seats in the 4th row were available. But she indicated that in fact, it wasn't available, and sure enough, when I turned around, I saw that in the time I had turned back to talk to the flight attendant, someone had swooped into the 4th row. Finally, one other thing I did after getting to my seat in PC was check the waitlist in the app and it was still greyed out for me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for anything I could have done differently here to increase my chances of securing an upgrade (short of moving up to Gold/75k)? Should I have called in to the MVP line after I noticed that the remaining F space had been taken? Since it seems they swapped planes, perhaps I could have gotten into that 4th row if I had called in? Should I have gotten to the gate earlier so that I could have inquired about upgrade status? Or are my chances of securing an upgrade when I'm not a 75k for flights between Seattle and Hawaii essentially zero due to the volume of 75k flyers on such routes that are always going to jump ahead of MVP's on the waitlist even if bought in Y? And what's the deal with the greyed-out waitlist in the app? How are people checking the waitlist when there is no monitor at the gate and it's greyed-out in the app?
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
Or are my chances of securing an upgrade when I'm not a 75k for flights between Seattle and Hawaii essentially zero due to the volume of 75k flyers on such routes that are always going to jump ahead of MVP's on the waitlist even if bought in Y?
I'm still somewhat new to this and don't fully understand the upgrade game. But, I can tell you as an MVP I've flown Portland to Maui and back (many times through SEA) 8X over the last 6 months and have never gotten a FC upgrade. I've chalked it up to the reason you give - many flyers with lots of status taking a vacation.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mtofell
I can tell you as an MVP I've flown Portland to Maui and back (many times through SEA) 8X over the last 6 months
How are you not Gold?
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
How are you not Gold?
Sitting at 39XXX EQMs and will make Gold for 2021 when I fly out at the end of the month. One RT flight was an award flight and two were Delta so of course those wouldn't have been eligible. I had forgot AS wasn't flying here in the darkest days of Covid. I just know I've been back/forth 8X and haven't ever done it in first
Old Dec 6, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm still somewhat new to this and don't fully understand the upgrade game. But, I can tell you as an MVP I've flown Portland to Maui and back (many times through SEA) 8X over the last 6 months and have never gotten a FC upgrade. I've chalked it up to the reason you give - many flyers with lots of status taking a vacation.
I believe HI routes are (were) relatively high paid-F, further limiting comp upgrade opportunities.
Flying for Fun and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:56 pm

Sun 12/6
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgraded 1 hr before boarding

Mon 12/7
Route FLL-PDX
Flight AS337
Status MVPG
Class R
Self upgraded to premium at 72 hr window. 1/4 on list at boarding, but denied upgrade to first class (738 with 3 rows in F)

Mon 12/7
Route PDX-LAX
Flight AS2223
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgrade went thru while enroute to PDX.

Mon 12/7
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS1055
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgrade went thru same time as the PDX-LAX segment upgrade.

Mon 12/7
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgrade went thru while enroute to SEA on the above flight

Tue 12/8
Route FLL-LAX
Flight AS1335
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgrade went thru while enroute to FLL on the prior flight

Tue 12/8
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS461
Status MVPG
Class R
Upgrade went thru just prior to boarding was 1/3 on list

Wed 12/9
Route SEA-BOS
Flight AS12
Status MVPG
Class R
Self upgraded to premium at 72 hr window. Upgrade to F is pending. Sitting at 1/6 on waitlist

Wed 12/9
Route BOS-SEA
Flight AS15
Status MVPG (Will hit 75K on this flight)
Class R
Upgraded while enroute to SEA on the prior segment.

Overall, 7/9 upgraded to first class, flight for tomorrow 1/6 on waitlist, and one denial on a 3 row 738.
AndyKehn likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by FloridaFlyers
Sun 12/6
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route FLL-PDX
Flight AS337
Status MVPG
Class R
Self upgraded to premium at 72 hr window. 1/4 on list at boarding, but denied upgrade to first class (738 with 3 rows in F)

Mon 12/7
Route PDX-LAX
Flight AS2223
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS1055
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R

Tue 12/8
Route FLL-LAX
Flight AS1335
Status MVPG
Class R

Tue 12/8
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS461
Status MVPG
Class R

Wed 12/9
Route SEA-BOS
Flight AS12
Status MVPG
Class R
Self upgraded to premium at 72 hr window. Upgrade to F is pending. Sitting at 1/6 on waitlist

Wed 12/9
Route BOS-SEA
Flight AS15
Class R

Overall, 7/9 upgraded to first class, flight for tomorrow 1/6 on waitlist, and one denial on a 3 row 738.
Glad to hear I'm flying ATL-SEA-LAX-PDX-SEA-FLL this weekend and will be 75k at the end as well. A little scared about not getting upgrade on SEA-FLL. Hope you finish strong and get more curry wraps and cookies.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Sun 12/6
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route FLL-PDX
Flight AS337
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route PDX-LAX
Flight AS2223
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS1055
Status MVPG
Class R

Mon 12/7
Route SEA-FLL
Flight AS356
Status MVPG
Class R

Tue 12/8
Route FLL-LAX
Flight AS1335
Status MVPG
Class R

Tue 12/8
Route LAX-SEA
Flight AS461
Status MVPG
Class R

Wed 12/9
Route SEA-BOS
Flight AS12
Status MVPG
Class R

Wed 12/9
Route BOS-SEA
Flight AS15
Class R

The 737-800s with only 12 seats combined with seat-blocking make these flights nearly impossible to clear--particularly annoying on the Hawaii and Florida flights.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Thumbs up

[snipped the flight reports because deep vein thrombosis was setting in after reading the list again]
Nice upgrade ratio, congrats. Trust you weathered it well, and hope your cat enjoyed its "'Me' time" while you were away.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
Nice upgrade ratio, congrats. Trust you weathered it well, and hope your cat enjoyed its "'Me' time" while you were away.
Thanks. It's amazing how many flight crew you get to know doing a run like that. While exiting the aircraft tonight I was chatting with the crew, several of whom I had met on previous flights the past few days/weeks. We laughed about mileage running, and when I pointed out that I had just hit 75K tonight, I was presented with my honorary Alaska Airlines flight crew pin.

skyblue, ccna101, NoLaGent and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Yes
We laughed about mileage running, and when I pointed out that I had just hit 75K tonight, I was presented with my honorary Alaska Airlines flight crew pin.
Alaska is a lovely company with fantastic and empowered employees; however, it is disheartening to learn that front-line employees may encourage mileage runs, a voluntary leisure active, during a pandemic when anyone can unknowingly become a danger to themselves and others if they are infected, and especially from individuals originating from or a resident of a region with overwhelmed medical facilities and stay at home restrictions. With that being said, welcome to the 75K club \ (•◡•) / !

2020/12/09
SJC-HNL
AS837
MVPG75K
R
T-120 hours
2020/11/04

edit: hopefully all opinions are welcome on FT, not just those that align with one's own point of view or interpretations of available datasets

Last edited by anteater; Dec 10, 2020 at 9:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.