Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Current Routes/Utilization of Airbus Equipment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Fingers crossed more A321NEOs are on the way - way better than being crammed in the back of 737s on transcons.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cjude1962
Fingers crossed more A321NEOs are on the way - way better than being crammed in the back of 737s on transcons.
Given the 737max issues......it would be prudent to take the 320neos from VX order books.

i must say I love the AS look better on an Airbus than Boeing.

given the FAA has said they are going to go even slower on max recertification....I think it’s gonna be at least 2nd half of 2020 before certification. Early 2021 before Returning to service....the longer this goes. The more I think this can take down Boeing commercial division.....
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
currently on reconfigured 838 at BWI about to depart for SEA; this email just arrived at T-15

We apologize, inflight entertainment or Wi-Fi may not be available on your flight today.

Thanks for understanding. We'll make sure your next flight is more entertaining.

Alaska Airlines

In case you need it:
Confirmation Code
< NNNNNN >”

lovely :/
I received one of these notifications before a 4+ hour STL-SEA flight recently (and the e-mail didnt come until about T-2h). I laughed when I saw the confirmation code "in case you need it," as though AS was actually implying they'd help me change my travel plans due to lack of Wi-fi. I'm sure they would have re-routed me on DL in F had I called in, right?

Interestingly, it was also announced during boarding that the internet would be unavailable ("So please download the Gogo entertainment app"), but it turned out not only to work just fine in flight, but it was also the new high speed wi-fi service. Streaming speeds were great. My seatmate also figured out that it was available and seemed to be streaming live hockey games the entire flight.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:30 am

Just want to make sure I understand... If the seat map for a flight on Alaska's site shows the "Before retrofit" map for either A320 version (with or without "Sharklet") from this site, then that means it'll have the old Virgin America first class seats still, right? Or did Alaska already do a quick retrofit to older first class seats and are now just retrofitting to new ones?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by mattp_16
Just want to make sure I understand... If the seat map for a flight on Alaska's site shows the "Before retrofit" map for either A320 version (with or without "Sharklet") from this site, then that means it'll have the old Virgin America first class seats still, right? Or did Alaska already do a quick retrofit to older first class seats and are now just retrofitting to new ones?
Old seat map = virgin seats. BUT, they could do an equipment swap last minute in which case you could have the new seats and config

Last edited by ASA_1; Dec 23, 2019 at 8:12 am
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
curious minds want to know…where are these planes actually flying these days? i've been on SJC-KOA, SJC-EWR, have upcoming SFO-JFK/-EWR and SFO-BOS and all of these are on Boeing aircraft. And so far those craft have been what look like "older" planes with the F-Y separator being a piece of plastic with the native pattern printed on it, rather than actually embroidered like in the F bulkhead.

what's the story here?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's Airbus aircraft on both of tomorrow's SFO-IAD flights as well as two of the SFO-JFK flights. Also see 8 flights tomorrow SFO-LAX on Airbus aircraft, as well as the single SFO-MCO.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lensovet
curious minds want to know…where are these planes actually flying these days? i've been on SJC-KOA, SJC-EWR, have upcoming SFO-JFK/-EWR and SFO-BOS and all of these are on Boeing aircraft. And so far those craft have been what look like "older" planes with the F-Y separator being a piece of plastic with the native pattern printed on it, rather than actually embroidered like in the F bulkhead.

what's the story here?
The story is as of now the decision for the new cabins (seats, carpet, bulkhead mural, cabin divider) to go on 700’s (all complete), all Airbus (In-progress) and all 737-9 deliveries.
Aircraft utilization and routing has been optimized (based on numerous factors).
Blue
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
There's Airbus aircraft on both of tomorrow's SFO-IAD flights as well as two of the SFO-JFK flights. Also see 8 flights tomorrow SFO-LAX on Airbus aircraft, as well as the single SFO-MCO.
Also used on SEA-PHX. I have a flight coming up early January PHX-SEA but will SDC to the earlier flight as my flight is in pmVX format. I would rather have a 90 minute wait in SEA than fly the old Airbus.

James
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:59 pm

what's the story here?
My upcoming Sea-OKC round trip, and a SEA-LAX trio are all on the Airbus.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AS
Our next two flights (Lax/sea) are on airbus metal reconfigured . 3 rows in F.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
So what’s the motivation to move these airbus planes onto much shorter routes? Better fuel economy? Load factors?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
So what’s the motivation to move these airbus planes onto much shorter routes? Better fuel economy? Load factors?
Slightly smaller capacity = ability to run more frequent service on shorter hauls while getting better load factors.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mfolf
Slightly smaller capacity = ability to run more frequent service on shorter hauls while getting better load factors.

other than SEA/PDX <—> LAX/SAN/SJC/SFO, how many “shorter” routes have enough trips to where “more frequent service (with) better load factors” would really be a factor?

I’d suggest it’s more about optimizing the distribution of total lift around the entire system ... and it’s more than just the particular flight that you booked; you have to look at what the jet does the rest of the day as well
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
I believe the public policy is the 739s have better fuel burn on TCONS, so Alaska has focused on having them there, and Airbus fleet running shorter routes. That said, I think the A321NEO is probably a beast for them, and can see it on the biggest routes and longest stage lengths.

Imagine maybe Q2 they’ll have some MAXs on property, who knows how they will use them.
Long flights make sense for reducing fuel burn... but, they have to be financed and shorter flights can potentially generate more revenue.

Personally can’t wait to ride on the MAX and see how it compares to the NEOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.