FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   SFO Ops - UGH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2001375-sfo-ops-ugh.html)

zs58 Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm

SFO Ops - UGH

Sitting on AS 421 (SFO - SEA) right now, sched departure 17:10. Boarded like clockwork at 16:30, all done by 17:00. Then we sat and sat, and the FA comes on and says we are ready to go but we are waiting on pilots that are en route from Seattle and scheduled to land in one hour.

So, delays happen, but why the heck did we board when it was clearly known that we’d be delayed by at least an hour? Cmon Alaska.

eddiehuang97 Dec 27, 2019 12:22 am

Maybe they don't?

mildfrequence Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Funny, I had a rather different delay experience @ SFO on Sat.
Flight to PDX was delayed an hour apparently because the crew had timed out.
AS put a beverage cart (self-serve) out at the gate while we waited.

olouie Dec 30, 2019 12:49 pm

At least you didn’t get rerouted to SJC like AS is famous for doing at SFO.

sjbsf Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm

That's my pet peeve with SFO ops. It often appears obvious that there are delays coming because the aircraft is still a distance away, or in your case, the pilots aren't there. If it's that obvious, they should be transparent with the information, and definitely not board a plane to make folks sit for an hour.

Hotel_junkie Jan 1, 2020 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 31889994)
At least you didn’t get rerouted to SJC like AS is famous for doing at SFO.

This happens a lot with the SFO-DAL route with Embraers when there is fog or heavy rain at SFO and not at SJC. The E’s can land at SJC so AS will switch airports to keep the birds flying. I appreciate that AS wants to get the flight and minimize any on ground delays, out but the additional 40 min drive to SJC is not easy to accommodate when you’re driving down from north of the golden gate.

chrisl137 Jan 1, 2020 7:53 pm

"don't ever connect at SFO, *especially* if there's an RJ involved" is one of my three rules for living.

Kacee Jan 1, 2020 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie (Post 31897839)
but the additional 40 min drive to SJC is not easy to accommodate when you’re driving down from north of the golden gate.

40 minutes SFO to SJC? Maybe at 3 am ;)

vanillabean Jan 1, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31898247)
40 minutes SFO to SJC? Maybe at 3 am ;)

:) Come to think of it, I have long wanted to try the Monterey Airbus.

olouie Jan 2, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie (Post 31897839)
This happens a lot with the SFO-DAL route with Embraers when there is fog or heavy rain at SFO and not at SJC. The E’s can land at SJC so AS will switch airports to keep the birds flying. I appreciate that AS wants to get the flight and minimize any on ground delays, out but the additional 40 min drive to SJC is not easy to accommodate when you’re driving down from north of the golden gate.

They love to do this when the weather isnt that bad for the Palm Springs and an PAE flights too. The whole thing makes me want to avoid AS at SFO more and more.

sltlyamusd Jan 2, 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 31901368)
They love to do this when the weather isnt that bad for the Palm Springs and an PAE flights too. The whole thing makes me want to avoid AS at SFO more and more.

Since none of the routes I fly are ERJ-only, I just avoid the ERJ flights when booking out of SFO. Have never been diverted to SJC or OAK on mainline. Not saying it can’t happen, but seems to happen most often with ERJs.

PaperGlider Jan 2, 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 31901798)
I just avoid the ERJ flights and still fly out of SFO. Have never been diverted to SJC or OAK on mainline. Not saying it can’t happen, but seems to happen most often with ERJs.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I'll keep this in mind.

ucdtim17 Jan 2, 2020 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 31901798)
Since none of the routes I fly are ERJ-only, I just avoid the ERJ flights when booking out of SFO. Have never been diverted to SJC or OAK on mainline. Not saying it can’t happen, but seems to happen most often with ERJs.

Mainline flights do divert. RJs are first obviously (fewer people to inconvenience/reaccomodate). Only caveat is so far I haven't seen any Airbii to OAK; if you're on one you're likely going to SJC if you divert. At some point presumably they'll schedule them into OAK (and will then be able to handle diverts) but they haven't yet.

olouie Jan 3, 2020 7:58 am

This must happen more often than I thought. They have a whole page devoted to it - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ng-to-bay-area

and https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-from-bay-area

Asquared1 Jan 4, 2020 9:29 am

You all get me nervous. If I have a 6AM PDX-SFO (737-9) flight is it less likely to be significantly delayed/diverted due to the early departure? (I'm assuming it's early enough where ATC won't be too backed up yet on a foggy morning).